Gumtree scammer

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    TimmyO said:
    I presume they just reverse the PP payment or something? 
    I'm guessing they claim the "courier" they arranged never delivered it and get Paypal to reverse the payment.

Meanwhile, you have no details of who the courier was or how to trace whatever you sold. 

if they even want your item. Easier just to fund the PP transaction from a stolen card or a hijacked bank account, then when the "courier" doesn't turn up, you transfer the money back, and they  transfer it out of their PP account. They get the money and someone else down the line- probably the credit card company or Paypal, but possibly you- ends up out of pocket.

Or perhaps some form of money laundering- the initial source of the PP funds is somewhere dodgy, but by paying you with it and getting a separate transfer back after the courier's no-show the source of the money is obscured. Rinse and repeat. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    I see.

I'm just ignoring 'her' now. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree for them to send a courier. Let them process the payment (knowing they will pay pal claim).

Then when the courier arrives send a box full of bricks which will then cost the scammer more money to take delivery.

Let them claim their money back knowing you've cost them money. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    My Wife works for Gumtree.
    She will look into this scam for you if you can just confirm with me  your Bank account number and security code.
    Was reading this whilst cutting/eating an apple. Almost cut my bloody fingers off!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree for them to send a courier. Let them process the payment (knowing they will pay pal claim).

Then when the courier arrives send a box full of bricks which will then cost the scammer more money to take delivery.

bricks are quite expensive these days, why not just send them your domestic kitchen waste, a few mouldy potatoes to add extra weight
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Agree for them to send a courier. Let them process the payment (knowing they will pay pal claim).

Whilst it would be tempting to do something like this with those guys, I wouldn't give any of them my address.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited March 2017
    Agree for them to send a courier. Let them process the payment (knowing they will pay pal claim).

Whilst it would be tempting to do something like this with those guys, I wouldn't give any of them my address.
    This is very true! Probably wouldn't look good on your PP account either

It would be funny though!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

be subtle with your reply

Dear S.C. Ammer

Blow it out yer arse

tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I got a similar reply except they said they were blind.  Are you completely positive it's a scam?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    If it walks like a duck.... 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    One of the emails preemptively mention that ehy live in North Lanarkshire (presumably to cut down on number of people likely to say 'I'll pop round') 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    stuagu said:
    She's in a wheelchair... :astonished: :confused: :smirk: 

• stuagu said:
    ...its Mick Jagger.
  • "What! You're buying the guitar for the crown prince of an African nation who is also MY cousin?! We must meet and have the party!"
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    TonyR said:

poor lad, no hearing AND in a wheelchair 
    some form of modern 'pinball wizard' in there - but not figured it out yet - deaf, scum and ? kid - sure plays a mean ?  ?
    Changing it slightly the best I could come up with is:

"He's a deaf, scum confined kid, sure gonna get f**k all"
    Brilliant! - Harsh - but brilliant!lol rockin
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just bought a Roland GR20 from gumtree, according to the tracking it's getting delivered tomorrow, sellers name Suzanne Swindells - I was thinking about pulling out of the deal when I found out :)
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1734
    TimmyO said:
    "Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?" 

Any ideas for creative responses? 

Maybe I should say that the pickup location is 'the Police station where I work' ? 

I've had the exact same thing on Gumtree happen more than once to me.v
    The best thing to do is to not reply n just report it.