Hamstead Amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToonToon Frets: 57
    I bought a 20+RT Mark 2 combo this week from GAK. No issues so far (other than the fact that I can't stop playing the damn thing - missus not happy).
    It's everything the reviews and accolades promise - stunningly quiet and just brilliant with pedals. I use ThorpyFx pedals and it's a match made in heaven. Highly recommended.

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Cheers @Toon. Glad your loving it. Looking to try one this week coming myself (if I can shake this man flu!)
    fully agree @hotpickups the forty is meant to be a whole new monster. 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    @Toon ;

is this made to order or do GAK have models to demo/buy?
  • @garfy mind if I ask which HiTone you have?

I was looking at them a while back but never got around to picking one up...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    edited March 2017
    GAK have a head and cab on demo in the store (at least they did on Wednesday) but the one I bought had been on order for about 6 weeks I think. So I don't think they have a combo in the store but the head is exactly the same amp so you could demo that and get a good idea of the sound. The cab is a 212 with 2 Celestion Creambacks G12M-65 (the same speaker as is in the 112 combo). Give 'em a call. Ask for Sean - he knows his stuff. They only have 4 dealers - Huntingdon, Leeds, Edinburgh and Brighton. (Oh - and I think you can arrange an appointment direct with Hamstead to go to their factory/shop and demo there) GAK have only been a dealer for a couple of months I think and they said they sell every one they can get. I was lucky as they had the combo coming in a few days after I called but, if not, I think they quoted 4-6 weeks lead time. Good luck but beware............if you demo it you'll want to buy it!

I am not young enough to know everything

edited March 2017
    @FreddieVanHalen ;;;I've got the DG30/15 2x12...it's an incredible piece of workmanship, built like a tank and the ideal pedal platform IMHO  
    if your based in the USA you'll save a fortune on shipping & import duty (£800)
  • garfy said:
    @FreddieVanHalen ;;;I've got the DG30/15 2x12...it's an incredible piece of workmanship, built like a tank and the ideal pedal platform IMHO  
    if your based in the USA you'll save a fortune on shipping & import duty (£800)
    Based in London, so yeah it was the shipping and duty that was putting me off.

The reason I was thinking of a "clone" is that I've got an original DR103 which I love for both cleans and power tube overdrive (with attenuator).

I'm scared of killing that if I run it so hard all the time though, hence if I got a newer amp with parts that are still in production it would at least be repairable in the event of failure.

I'd probably be looking for a head rather than combo though - did you order direct from HiTone?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    Yes direct,  Clayton is fantastic to deal with. It's the loudest 30w I've ever heard! Sounds just as classic in the 15w mode as well. The duties & current exchange rate make it a large investment.