High Gain 12ax7 recommend.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    edited March 2017
    If yoy mean the video earlier in the thread then its a pretty worthless comparison as the source audio is not identical between each tube.

I used a looper so I was testing the exact same inout signal.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    If yoy mean the video earlier in the thread then its a pretty worthless comparison as the source audio is not identical between each tube.
    No, but the difference in tone is quite dramatic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2017
    On the clean tones especially there were some differences but I'm not sure I could confidently say they are more than variation in picking strength and position relative to the bridge for example.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    On the clean tones especially there were some differences but I'm not sure I could confidently say they are more than variation in picking strength and position relative to the bridge for example.
    I think the actual tone of the JJ is noticeably muddier than the other two regardless of the playing - that's why I was able to pick it out straight away, it's just a very different sound. The other two are similar enough to each other than I would agree with you.

I would expect it to come out on a frequency analyser as well, in fact - it just has a lot less top-end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Obvs i was comparing different valves to him but a JJ was definitely one of them.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

"I think the actual tone of the JJ is noticeably muddier than the other two" Did he ever actually tell us which valve was which? If so I did not hear it in my clip.

But sorry IC, I agree with Polarity Man, the differences (and  ICOULD hear differences on the 5As cranked a bit!) could easily be due to "finger trouble". This is why I say peeps will not get valid answers unless they use a digital recording. THEN of course you say there is a synergy between valve types and playing styles..Can't effin' win can I?

The factory tester/player I alluded to earlier might pick up on some of those differences, I am sure they are more obvious to those with 20-20 lugs, but what would happen there is the amp would go back for re-work and the response re-checked. It HAS been known for a capacitor to be stuffed wrong value. We HAVE had the odd speaker that was oddly lacking in top end but I have NEVER heard of a valve being diagnosed as causing a frequency response fault. Mind you, they would all be of the same brand and likely part of a huge batch.

Dave.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Well I can hear differences between valves and I spend ages listening to the things, I can hear them in that video too, but the funny thing about that video is the one valve I normally don't like was the sound sample I preferred.

He should have replaced the overdriving valve for the overdrive tones, as that would give you an idea as to how the harmonics differ between the valves/solid state devices.