US standard Tele 07 - upgrading pickups to Oil City Thames Delta - anyone done similar?

What's Hot
Compared to a lot of teles I've played (including Baja) the stock pickups in my 07 US tele are a bit clinical sounding, especially clean without fx. 

I've my eye on a Thames Delta set - has anyone else done a similar pickup swap?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Am.Std. Pickups aren't too bad, but the bridge pickup doesn't have a baseplate which does rob it of a little of the 'classic' sound. A set of Oil City's will definitely be an upgrade, I personally really like the Forty Niner/Californian combo, but the neck Californian doesn't have a cover which might offend the purists.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Richardj said:
    Am.Std. Pickups aren't too bad, but the bridge pickup doesn't have a baseplate which does rob it of a little of the 'classic' sound. A set of Oil City's will definitely be an upgrade, I personally really like the Forty Niner/Californian combo, but the neck Californian doesn't have a cover which might offend the purists.
    I believe Ash offers a covered Californian now as an option.

I have Oil City's in 3 of my Teles and they're all upgrades on the MIA, MIM and Highway One offerings.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    I have Oil Cities in my Strat and can definitely recommend them. If you email Ash and explain what you're looking for he is very helpful.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 2017
    Thanks all - this is very encouraging. From the description it sounds like Thames Delta would be the way to go for a good balance of growl and twang. As the tele is natural ash with white 'plate I suspect I'll take the opportunity to put a black 3 ply on. Considered tortie but the wood grain is a bit busy
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    edited March 2017
    Richardj said:
    Am.Std. Pickups aren't too bad, but the bridge pickup doesn't have a baseplate which does rob it of a little of the 'classic' sound.
    Ah, that explains things then - as good as my '05 US Std Tele sounds I'd always thought it sounded a bit generic and lacking in that Tele 'spank'. Have to admit to always wondering if this was a deliberate thing to make Teles somehow 'easier' for players more used to modern tones.

(Guess I coud be checking out Ash's Thames Delta and Wapping Wharf offerings sometime fairly soon.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it