PSA: For Web Devs, Programmers etc. Udemy courses all at £10

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
For all you programmers, developers out there, Udemy are discounting all there courses to £10 for the next five days.
Lots of courses on Node, React, Angular etc.
If, like me, you are having to re-skill, then these look like a real bargain.

Happy coding  B)
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I got a JavaScript course through them around Christmas for a tenner. They have these sales now and again. It's good content too.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    The timing is perfect for me as I've just received my redundancy notice. 
    Apparently my employer doesn't support in-house web development anymore, they just purchase predefined solutions.
    It's quite funny in that they're getting rid of all the people who wrote and maintain a considerable number of core systems that they still need to use. 

They've not quite connected the dots yet (doh).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    (deleted)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26639
    As it happens, I'm currently in Poland with the company we contract a lot of our grunt work out to, and we've just come to the conclusion that we're going to shift some of our development on the new system to Angular 2 as an experiment for the next month to build a prototype. This could be useful information - cheers!
    <space for hire>
  • Are these any good? I'm considering learning some new skills and wonder whether udemy is a good place to learn. I was thinking of coding or general IT course, or maybe something to do with money management or business. 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    All the courses showing as £15 for me but still, I'll have a look through, thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's across the board and not just the IT stuff.
  • Are these any good? I'm considering learning some new skills and wonder whether udemy is a good bet. 

Do you get a qualification for any of them? I was considering doing either maths (lots of maths from my chemistry degree but it's been a while and I could use a refresh) or perhaps even coding - there seem to be a lot of opportunities for coding these days, and I wonder if it might give me something really worth knowing. 
    I picked up a bunch last night after checking out the full content of the courses. They go very deep into the subjects, their node course covers everything you need to handle full stack development with Express and MongoDB .
    I couldn't sleep last night so started working through their deep JavaScript course and found it to be really well paced.

I've used Pluralsight, Lynda and CBT Nuggets training in the past and, so far, think this Udemy course is very good.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7473
    They do this every so often - everything shows as 'worth' hundreds and is routinely sold for £10-15 but there is some good stuff. 

Red ones are better. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243

I started a Visual Studio C# course last year, as I wanted to learn how to write computer apps (I'd only ever used C for embedded stuff before), and the content was very good. It was a bit teaching your granny to suck eggs in places, as it was aimed at beginners, however it covered everything I needed to know. I should really go back and finish it, however the reason I wanted to write a computer app disappeared, so it's not been top of my priority list.

I am considering getting back into some web development type stuff though, however it seems like a complete minefield now. I still use a webserver and PHP for running some events, and I'd really like to add inline editing, but every time I look at the possible options, my head starts to hurt.

• equalsql said:
    I picked up a bunch last night after checking out the full content of the courses. They go very deep into the subjects, their node course covers everything you need to handle full stack development with Express and MongoDB .
    I couldn't sleep last night so started working through their deep JavaScript course and found it to be really well paced.

I've used Pluralsight, Lynda and CBT Nuggets training in the past and, so far, think this Udemy course is very good.

Would it suit a beginner who knows *nothing* about code or should I get a free course first? 

Well, I mean, I will obviously get a free course regardless... But just wondering how it would be for someone who knows nothing about code. I did read a wee bit on html before, but it was very basic. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    Right then - I've enrolled on the Dev Bootcamp. As you know I have zero web experience apart from a bit of Wordpress so I'll report back. Thanks for the heads up - I'm really sorry to hear about work too. I'll pm you later.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited March 2017
    equalsql said:

Would it suit a beginner who knows *nothing* about code or should I get a free course first? 

Well, I mean, I will obviously get a free course regardless... But just wondering how it would be for someone who knows nothing about code. I did read a wee bit on html before, but it was very basic. 
    I'd say if you're just beginning there are plenty of great quality free resources you could go to first before spending money. CodeAcademy is a good place to start

https://www.codecademy.com/

Also, on Youtube there's TheNewBoston channel that covers loads of languages and frameworks for beginners

Go to playlists on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/

• eSully said:
    equalsql said:

I'd say if you're just beginning there are plenty of great quality free resources you could go to first before spending money. CodeAcademy is a good place to start

https://www.codecademy.com/

Also, on Youtube there's TheNewBoston channel that covers loads of languages and frameworks for beginners

Go to playlists on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/

Amazing, I'd already found code academy so it's good to hear a recommendation. I'll check it out! 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited March 2017
    There is also

https://mva.microsoft.com/
    I have used this quite a bit in the past. Obviously it is based on MS technologies!

Currently using
    https://acloud.guru
    Looks really good for AWS, and more importantly, it maps up directly to exams, which the MS one doesn't.

I will definitely look at https://www.udemy.com too once I get the AWS stuff done.
  • @digitalscream ;  having used Knockout,js..but bypassed Angular... I can strongly recommend Vue.js
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Are tehy self paced. Ie/ once you buy do you have as long as you want to complete the course?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited March 2017
    Are tehy self paced. Ie/ once you buy do you have as long as you want to complete the course?
    Hi @PolarityMan, there's no time limit on the courses, you have permanent access to them. Udemy also do an Android aapp that allows you to download a full course to your tablet so you can do it offline.
    @digitalscream ;  having used Knockout,js..but bypassed Angular... I can strongly recommend Vue.js
    Good call @bloodandtears , when I as researching frameworks Vue was getting a lot of recommendations from developers.
    This was one of the courses that I picked up from Udemy.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited March 2017
    For Udemy, it looks like you have them for as long as you want.
    https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229603708-Lifetime-Access