0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I am now, you bugger....

;)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    GTFI

I was never a fan of music this heavy until i watched these videos below and found i loved the band, what they stand for and the lyrics.
    Now i find myself really loving everything they've recorded and i'm finding some really deep meaning in it all.

This first video helped me change my life, it hit me that hard and it helped me find an inner strength to overcome problems in my life, that i realised i had lost a long time ago.

The second Video is just the best, kick ass version of the classic song i've ever heard.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Wrestle-Metal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I heard it called Groove Metal today.

All i know is it's fresh, new and really kicks ass.
    I found a lot of meaning in it too.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I would say the exact opposite to all of those, but to each his own I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I would say the exact opposite to all of those, but to each his own I suppose.
    It's the first proper heavy metal i've listened to since Pantera.

I get that not everyone will like it but i think the significance of 'The wrong side of heaven' got me hooked on the band and it just connected with me.

It's good to listen to something new (for me) and it's good to hear something that i've not played 10 thousand times.
    There's another one of theirs called 'Lift me up' which meant a lot to my Wife so the whole thing is kinda special in our house.

I'll embrace people not liking the same music as me though.
    I love diversity.

If you listen to metal, what do you listen to as an alternative to this ?
    Not a funny comment or a wind up, genuinely curious as to your scale of good/bad ?
  • Sounds like a slightly heavier Nickleback.
    There has been hundreds with the same sound in the last 20 years, and these dont seem to stand out from the rest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    It difficult.   I can't stand 5FDP - far too "nu" for my tastes and always regarded them as a kids band - a bit like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed and Killswitch. 

The only modern metal band that did anything for me was Lamb Of God, but even they've become a bit tired and formulaic.  Gojira are pretty good and at least are trying to do something different.  I'm liking their latest LP, Magma.  For all the criticism, Slipknot are capable of absolutely smashing it on their day - particularly live.  There's a mob from Texas called Powertrip who are doing the Thrash/Hardcore thing extremely well... I like them.  
    Errrr...now I'm struggling with 'current' bands. 

The eighties was was the best time for metal... it's not been topped since.  I love the 'rawness' of Possessed and early Metallica and Slayer.... everything seems so polished and corporate nowadays - it just doesn't seem like fun anymore.  

Sorry for being an old grouch - you like what you like, I guess. 

Now awaiting @Reverend to some along to suggest some bands that no-one apart from him has ever heard of......

;) ;) ;)
    RobDavies said:
    It difficult.   I can't stand 5FDP - far too "nu" for my tastes and always regarded them as a kids band - a bit like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed and Killswitch

The only modern metal band that did anything for me was Lamb Of God, but even they've become a bit tired and formulaic.  Gojira are pretty good and at least are trying to do something different.  I'm liking their latest LP, Magma.  For all the criticism, Slipknot are capable of absolutely smashing it on their day - particularly live.  There's a mob from Texas called Powertrip who are doing the Thrash/Hardcore thing extremely well... I like them.  
    Errrr...now I'm struggling with 'current' bands. 

The eighties was was the best time for metal... it's not been topped since.  I love the 'rawness' of Possessed and early Metallica and Slayer.... everything seems so polished and corporate nowadays - it just doesn't seem like fun anymore.  

Sorry for being an old grouch - you like what you like, I guess. 

Now awaiting @Reverend to some along to suggest some bands that no-one apart from him has ever heard of......

;) ;) ;)
    Yep,.....
    Love them too, especially Disturbed but that's since 2001 so i can't call that new.

80's metal i remember well and still love Pantera, Metallica and Slayer.

It's not about 'Grouch' or cool, i was just curious as to who likes what. I like music for what it does to me, not what's cool.

I'll give some of the others a listen too........Powertrip sounds interesting, i like a lot of what comes out of Texas.
    I've tried slipknot but couldn't get it.
    I Really like Ola Englund,
    I really, REALLY like Zakk Wylde.

LOL @ The @Reverend reference.
    Actually i was hoping he would show up and suggest some new stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Baroness might be up your street.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    edited March 2017
    if you like Zakk Wylde, you should like a band called Hellfueled ('Born II Rock' is a good one). Basically sounds like Ozzy with Zakk  I also like 5FDP, big dumb metal that doesn't need a lot of thought. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    I'm not a fan of Five Finger Death Punch, they're certainly proficient but it all sounds a bit trite to me.  Same would apply to some of the other modern(ish) bands like Asking Alexandria and those already mentioned, Killswitch, A7X and Lamb of God.

Having said that I love Disturbed - who are definitely trite - so I'm in no position to criticise.  They write the same two songs over and over (and over) again..... but I like them both.

Nowadays I prefer stoner/psychedelic stuff, the sound is a bit looser, more relaxed, less "produced" and doesn't grate on my nerves like metal sometimes does.

Now Reverend is going to turn up, list a load of bands and make us all look like noobs....
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    Big fan of FFDP. saw them live at download and found them to be energetic, engaged and really fucking heavy too. great!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @RobDavies I'm totally in agreement with your first paragraph - only modern metal band I am remotely interested in is Lamb of God, and as you say they have gone somewhat formulaic of late.

• Wrestle-Metal
    Yeah great gym music.  I think they're fun.

I like this, cover of Mama Said Knock You Out (which someone has set to Mortal Kombat)...

• @RobDavies ;

If you want a good modern metal album but like oldschool fast thrash music, then Sylosis - Dormant Heart is genuinely one of my all time favourite metal albums.  It was the only CD in my car for weeks.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited March 2017
    Metal for people who don't really like music.
    They fulfil the same function as bands like Disturbed, Korn, Limp Bizkit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Metal for people who don't really like music.
    They fulfil the same function as bands like Disturbed, Korn, Limp Bizkit.
     :)
    I like those bands too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I'm only teasing. :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    my oldest son plays a lot of music that I find too much - growly very heavy brain crushing stuff. 5FDP is the one band I actually quite like.