Current interest in Boss HM-2s?

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7347
edited March 2017 in FX
I was recently surprised to hear that a friend had purchased a Boss HM-2 for approx £100.
I thought he was mad but this does appear to be the current going rate.

One question on this... Why?

I had one in 2004 when I'd only just started playing and even then I recognised it as a piece of shit. It sounded unbelievably bad, which I know will be a selling point to some people who for example want to go for that Entombed sound, but that doesn't explain why all of a sudden they're selling for that much. There isn't a sudden rise in the interest for Swedish Death Metal for example.

I'm slightly annoyed because I sold mine for £20, but on the other hand in order to get more money than that I would have had to keep it in my possession for a further 13 years, which just wasn't happening.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Probably the same reason as why late-60s/70s fuzz pedals - which in the 80s and early 90s were almost worthless because they were so out of step with the fashionable sounds that most people just thought they sounded shit, now command hundreds of pounds…

Either that or it's the 'greater fool' theory.

You wouldn't catch me with one either, I think they sound dreadful too! But they do definitely have a cult following.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 364
    Shoegaze and Swedish chainsaws is why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited March 2017
    Shoegaze and Swedish chainsaws is why.
    This.
    If you buy one of these to actually try and get a decent heavy metal sound you're doing it very wrong.

But for a certain type of sound they're the only pedal that can achieve it. I think they sound ace. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yeah they're used MASSIVELY in the modern hardcore scene right now, not so much death metal. You'd be hard pressed to find a big hardcore/grind/sludge band nowadays that doesn't use one.

I've tried many over the years and they do sound amazing but not really the sound for my band. 

By the way I will have an Abominable Electronics Custom Throne Torcher in the Classifieds soon when I get it back off my friend if anybody is interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair, there was a time fuzz faces were thought to sound shit. Same for muffs. And they do sound shit if you use them wrong... 

I really like metal zones, too - I think of it as a parametric death fuzz :) it's not a brilliant metal distortion if you want a pushed marshall or 5150 tone, but it can do stuff nothing else can. 

Try saying that about yet another klone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I built a clone for a friend, not really understanding why he wanted it. After a few minutes dicking around with it, I was getting noises I recognised from MBV's Loveless, plus some brutal metal tones. I'll probably build one for myself now.
     Yes, it's very easy to make it sound awful, mainly because the eq is so powerful. Restraint is key here.
     Oh, and it sounds amazing on bass.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22200
    I love 'em. Treble down, Bass about halfway. As Lasermonkey says, tweaking it gets a lot of Loveless sound. Actually liked with with the gain right down going clean into reverb then delay. That plus a Midiverb couldn't be more MBV.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3048
    Hey, I've got one! Who wants to buy it? :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    £5?
    Just a knob then?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Just a knob then?
    But rude..... he was only lowballing you. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just a knob then?
    But rude..... he was only lowballing you. 
    :)
  • Hey, I've got one! Who wants to buy it? :)
    Well the OP sold his for £20 so I guess that's the going rate on here no? ;)
    Well the OP sold his for £20 so I guess that's the going rate on here no? ;)
    13 years ago...
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7347
    Sold mine for £20 in 2004 at Saturn Music in Wakefield, then bought a Boss OS-2 from them for £30.
    There's an OS-2 in my local cash converters now for £30 so probably not the best deal for me there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Ive got 4 of these
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Just a knob then?
    Yes but don't hold it against me..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 718
    DefaultM said:
    Sold mine for £20 in 2004 at Saturn Music in Wakefield, then bought a Boss OS-2 from them for £30.
    There's an OS-2 in my local cash converters now for £30 so probably not the best deal for me there.
    Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time ...
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Makes me wanna listen to Code Orange, or that new Knocked Loose record.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    edited March 2017
    Gilmour used them for the Pulse tour iirc.
    If they are dialled in properly they actually can sound good - not just da metaaaaahl \m/ sounds either.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.