BBC Arena - Alone with Chrissie Hynde

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    axisus said:
    I never liked her or the band. Not my cup of tea on any front. Having said that, I have no objection to them being out there
    You don't think they should be shot then?
    A severe reprimand and a Chinese burn ought to suffice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    axisus said:
    I never liked her or the band. Not my cup of tea on any front. Having said that, I have no objection to them being out there, I bear them no ill will.
    My thoughts too. I've always thought she was massively overrated.

However I did enjoy the documentary.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    They made one of the most irritating records of all time (2000 Miles) but I mostly like them. There's some fairly early live stuff on YouTube, a Rockpalast concert I think, with Honeyman Scott still in the band which shows they could be pretty raunchy and that Scott knew his way around the fingerboard. A mate of mine knew him reasonably well so I feel I have a bit of a link!

As I'm currently waiting at the barbers can't really do the YouTube stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    axisus said:
    I never liked her or the band. Not my cup of tea on any front. Having said that, I have no objection to them being out there
    Only on film
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    axisus said:
    axisus said:
    Only on film
    I was anticipating this post being 'lol central' - clearly most OT dwellers don't visit SC.

I sometimes feel I'm wasted here....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    axisus said:
    axisus said:
    Only on film
    I was anticipating this post being 'lol central' - clearly most OT dwellers don't visit SC.

I sometimes feel I'm wasted here....
    Maybe you should lay off the drugs then ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24425
    vale said:
    her history is really interesting. not a massive pretenders fan, i like a few choice singles. but she's an impressive woman. one of the original full-on rock chicks.

her pre-uk life fascinating enough on its own, but it all stepped up a gear when she hit london. worked in sex as a shop-assistant to viv & malcy, wrote for music papers proto-punk era, rubbed shoulders with nick kent during his last coherent moments, in on punk from conception
    she was initially being considered as front for one of malcy & bernie (rhodes) early pistols era provoc projects. i think they were going to call the project 'schoolgirls knickers' or something similarly absurd, so she just walked out on the giggling pair of them.

Danielle, Alan, Chrissie, Viv, Jordan.
    http://www.paulgormanis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Forum-staff.jpg
    her interview with jon savage for 'the englands dreaming tapes' well worth the read for insights into this period of her life.

i also respect what she said about her assault by the bikers. a sad story, but she refused to let that define her existence for the rest of her life. & she had the wisdom & front to come out & state the obvious; that had she not been so out of it (drink/drugs) she could have better appreciated the potential dangers of the situation she was putting herself in & been better equipped mentally & physically to deal with it when things went bad.

of course she isn't to blame if a guy chooses to do an evil thing. he remains 100% responsible for his criminal actions at all times. & her not taking measures to reduce her chances of being seen by him as a potential victim should not be used to mitigate charges levelled against him.

but, in pure common sense terms & for the same reason you tell your kids not to hang out with strangers, if a bad person with intent is looking for a target, you can do some things to reduce your chances of being thought one (in their twisted mind) by taking precautions.

a woman should be able to stumble blind drunk down any alley she wants to & not be assualted or harrassed. that would be the ideal world. & that is what we should all be working towards together. that's not even a feminist argument, that's a human compassion argument.

but we don't live in one (& the law can only act after the fact, which will be after the damage has been done). so 'look out for yourself & use your common sense' not bad advice.
    @vale , You write so beautifully.  I'm always impressed by your posts, but FFS - is your shift key broken or something ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    Reverend said:
    Am I alone in finding The Pretenders incredibly beige?

No. Beige is a good description IMO.