Ebay question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited March 2017
    EBay advise against PayPal for face to face sales - or they did up until recently. Don't do it under any circumstances as a seller. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    I, like many others wont accept paypal for ebay sales. but whats the deal with this. Ive seen quite a few ads where the seller insists on paypal, even for collect purchases. I myself have just bought something where the seller insisted on paypal even though i was coming to collect it  an hour later. There were no problems but is there a possibility of a scam? surely it looks to me thay are carrying the risk?
    As has been said, PayPal MUST be offered for 'mutual protection' or its a breach of EBay rules. Sorry, but if I was refused Paypal by a seller I'd report the ad and the seller to EBay and I'd immediately have less confidence in the seller. 

There are risks both sides.  Even if you collect and check the purchase, you might find something is not right when you get home. In a dispute situation you might have less (or even no) protection if you didn't pay via Paypal.  If you are selling, there's a risk the buyer doesn't turn up, or they do turn up but then they try to get the price down and there could be an element of 'pressure/intimidation' etc.   Or you accept cash but subsequently find out some or all of the cash is a forgery.  So, PayPal is for mutual protection as it provides a safe, guaranteed means of payment with a clear audit trail for both parties. 

Of course if paypal is offered but both parties mutually agree to cash on delivery (although that's still a breach of EBay rules) then that's a matter for them.

But Paypal must always be available on EBay - its not a 'seller choice', it's a requirement, period. If you don't want to accept Paypal, then don't put it on EBay & use Gumtree or similar instead. 
    Absolutely NOT.   if i choose not to accept paypal thats up to me, same if i choose its collect only. I have that right. If ebay want to ban me or pull the ad, thats up to them. As far as i know they dont ban you for not accepting it even though you cant delete it from being offered. If a buyer doesnt like it they are free not to purchase.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited March 2017
    deleted as i seem to have managed to post the same post multiple times. Apologies
    mort said:
    Collings said:
    As buyer I always pay with PayPal even if im collecting. If the seller has stated in the description cash only I message them saying I want to use PayPal.

So what would you do if the seller insisted on cash only on collection and wouldn't accept PayPal?
    In most cases i would move on and look for the item from another seller. If it was something i really wanted i would make the effort to get the cash. As i say its more to do with convenience and avoid having to get to a bank.
    edited March 2017
    deleted as i seem to have managed to post the same post multiple times. Apologies
    edited March 2017