Indyref2

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2017
    Fretwired said:

You what? George Osborne said that in the event Leave won there would have to be a snap Budget - he would “have to increase taxes and cut spending” to fill a £30bn hole in the public finances. He said he would need to raise the basic rate of income tax by 2p in the pound, higher rates by 3p and add 5p in the pound to the 40 per cent inheritance tax rate. In addition the Chancellor warned of cuts to pensions, the home office, policing and transport. He also said unemployment would rise. A big fat lie from a serial liar.
    See, there you go showing exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about - there's a massive difference between an inaccurate prediction and a flat-out lie.

Let's face it, it's not exactly unusual for Osborne to have been wrong about something. Here's my rough guess at how it went:

Osborne: "OK guys, Leave won so we need this snap budget because I can't figure out how to do the sums without it."
    Everybody else in government: "George, you're being a twat. You don't know what you're talking about and you're ruining our chances at re-election. Shut up, and let the grown-ups decide what to do."

Again, the most well-known example in the Leave campaign...

Farage, Johnson et al: "£350m! A week! To the EU! We can fix the NHS with it!"
    Everyone who knows anything about it: "Actually, that's not true. Here's the actual evidence."
    Farage, Johnson et al: "£350m! A week! To the EU! We can fix the NHS with it!"

Tell me...which one is a lie and which one is a promise/prediction which turned out to be wrong?
    Osborne was lying .. he was trying to scare people - project fear. Go read Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), comments on Osborne. Those comments destroyed his career in politics.

In fairness to Boris and co and the £350 million to the NHS could come to fruition - I doubt it but we haven't left the EU yet and when we do will see what happens .... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I saw a front page article today - a poll has indicated that most Scottish people would vote against independence.

Given the general success rate of polls in major political events recently, I'd say we should start preparing for what happens when Scotland inevitably vote for independence.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Thing is, the emergency budget threat was straight from gob of the serving Chancellor. He was in the position to carry this out, didn't and still nobody has.

The shite on the side of a bus was misleading (at most) but really, if anyone thought that was ever on the cards (considering those that came up with it wouldn't have had the power to do so either side of the ref) then they're a moron.

Both campaigns were full of absolute shit. Both of them. Shit. Both.

Shit.

Cannot disagree with 99.9% of that.

That was my point though it was all coming from serving Tories in high office and we are really splitting hairs on him being the Chancellor and as  remain sympathiser I cringed a lot when he came out with and wished he took it back.

Without raking up the embers for it all again I deplore the fact we as an electorate are seemingly givnign them a free pass on all of this.

Those who actallly govern should be held to a certain code of conduct re bare faced lies whilst governing or in any public offcie really.

That for more than any other is why I felt we were made to look like fools in the UK, very much a low point in UK politics for me.
    Bucket said:
    I saw a front page article today - a poll has indicated that most Scottish people would vote against independence.

Given the general success rate of polls in major political events recently, I'd say we should start preparing for what happens when Scotland inevitably vote for independence.
    LOL yes the polls are so unpredictable as to be predictable, just punt for the opposite fo what they blather.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    johnnyurq said:
    Bucket said:

LOL yes the polls are so unpredictable as to be predictable, just punt for the opposite fo what they blather.

They are actually quite easy to predict. People in many social circles who voted Brexit, No or Tory have been conditioned by years of abuse from SJW types and many will keep quite about who they actually voted for as a means of preserving their sanity. Polls generally bias towards Labour/Remain/Yes. This has been quite consistent for a while. 

It becomes more extreme when the likes of Momentum and the SNP scream Red Tory Scum very loudly at anyone who disagrees with them, less extreme when Labour are under sensible management. You saw exactly the same phenomena with Trump in the US. Incumbency generally also needs to be adjusted for, as people fear change. 
    Evilmags said:
    johnnyurq said:
    Bucket said:

They are actually quite easy to predict. People in many social circles who voted Brexit, No or Tory have been conditioned by years of abuse from SJW types and many will keep quite about who they actually voted for as a means of preserving their sanity. Polls generally bias towards Labour/Remain/Yes. This has been quite consistent for a while. 

It becomes more extreme when the likes of Momentum and the SNP scream Red Tory Scum very loudly at anyone who disagrees with them, less extreme when Labour are under sensible management. You saw exactly the same phenomena with Trump in the US. Incumbency generally also needs to be adjusted for, as people fear change. 
    Jesus man you are like a bad Fry and Laurie sketch but way less funnier.

If was as easy as you say why are we not all mega rich on punting on the less than obvious outcoimes in recent years. you yourself got an awful lot of them very wrong as did most.

See those you rage and rail at!!?? That's you that is!

When are you going to realise there is not this homogenated SNP voting bloc you claim that all are in lock step and behind the nutter minority.

You seem stuck in the Yuppie and Dinky era and are way worse than the ones you continually slag off.

No smiley face or gold star on your jotter this week ......again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    the elite 'right " have been doing this foor centuries.
    they think they are born to rule and that the rest of us are mugs.
    voting for them just makes them more arrogent.
    Orwell spilled the beans and no one took any notice.
    the Conservative party are not about the voice of the people.
    they are about keeping the status quo and 
    controlling the population to make sure they and their families stay in the lap of luxury.
    parasites.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http://www.markpack.org.uk/files/2017/01/PollBase.xls

Want to check the numbers. All in all recent UK elections polls have had a left wing bias, precisely because of the sort of abusive personalized shite the left spout. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Just checking in with reality

you keep the blinkers on.