Crime in Spain

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1952
Does anybody have experience of travelling to Barcelona and Madrid? These seem to be the rumored hot spots for pick pockets and muggers, as well as the 'padding' of restaurant bills.

I've never been before but I'm planning to and I want to know if this is old news, or if it's still noticeably rife in 16/17? I travel alone and have only been properly warned when in Budapest (where the streets are huge).

I carry a £30 camera and a £40 phone, but if they take your wallet or passport then you're screwed anyway.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12384
    AFAIK Barcelona still has the highest incidence of tourist pick pocketing. Most of its common sense though, be sensible and you should be ok: use the safe at the hotel for your passport and valuables, don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, watch out for "helpful" people who point out things you've dropped etc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Yep, still rife.

Went to Barcelona a couple years ago. Was having breakfast with my wife in a cafe, left my bag on the chair next to me. Next thing I see is some normal looking bloke walking over with his coat in his hand, leaning over the chair to look at the menu on the wall.

What he was really doing was covering my bag with his coat and feeling for valuables inside using his other hand.

Luckily some locals noticed this and basically told him to fuck off, which he promptly did. If it wasn't for them I'm not sure if I would have realised what was happening before it was too late!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited March 2017
    Yep, plenty still goes on in Madrid as far as I know. When I was there, my wife and I warned someone with an open rucksack on her back, in Plaza Del Sol, but she just looked at us and walked on. Oh well, they're only possessions, eh?

Always carry bags to the front of you, never towards the road, don't fall asleep anywhere, and stay on the main roads. A colleague and I even gave chase to some kid who stole a bloke's wallet, but then the kid started flashing a razor blade around, I guess with the threat that we didn't know where it had been. We got his wallet back at least, minus the cash. He was a Spanish tourist, and had fallen asleep in the Retiro park.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I´ve spent 8 years of my life in Madrid in total and have never been robbed. Las Ramblas in Barcelona has a very bad reputation for it though. To avoid getting caught out (as you are legally obliged to carry ID here) here are a few tips.

Madrid:- The Area close to Sol, Gran Via, and Plaza Mayor can get risky at night. It is a big city with plenty of nightlife elsewhere. Chueca (gay area), Alonso Martinez, La Latina and BArrio de Las Letras are all fun and safe. 

Barcelona:- Las Ramblas is famous for pickpockets from Eastern Europe of Romany origins. The TV has documented several gangs and it is a problem (Granada can be as well). Don´t let yourself get distracted by people in that area, as they are very fast and children run through crowds quickly. Travelers belt under T shirt not a bad idea if your going to be drinking or having a few spliffs. Don´t know Barcelona well enough to advise on other areas.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1952
    In that case, the question is whether it's worth going

I've been to Italy, Germany, Poland, Hungary, The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria without any of that

I'm pretty vigilant, but I ask for a lot of directions etc when I'm about, which doesn't sound too clever for Spain
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Just through the camper forums there seems to be a lot of petty crime in Spain with tourists as targets. Never seems to get reported from people visiting France (which is the bigger number) or anywhere else. Having said that a quick google says crime rates generally much higher in the UK than Spain.
    Presumably on El Fretboardo they are discussing how not to get robbed when visiting London. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Worst things at the moment in France are gangs, curiously usually Eastern Europeans, on the autoroutes either causing accidents to rob you, pretending to be police and robbing you, robbing you if you stop at an aire (a large landscaped rest area without services), or off of the autoroutes chucking eggs at you to make you stop.

Not so much street crime, although being out late at night in the wrong part of any city can be a problem.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Schnozz said:
    In that case, the question is whether it's worth going

I've been to Italy, Germany, Poland, Hungary, The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria without any of that

I'm pretty vigilant, but I ask for a lot of directions etc when I'm about, which doesn't sound too clever for Spain
    I would say yes, it's definitely worth it. Barcelona is one of the best cities in Europe I've been to. As long as you're careful (just like you should be wherever you go) you should be fine. Just don't present the thieves with any easy chances.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I've never had any trouble touring about (usually by car or motorbike) other than the very obvious scams (dropped ring scam etc) that are easy to avoid.
    I park the bikes pretty much anywhere I like in Europe and I'm a lot less careful than in central London (no disc lock for example).

Just be sensible- don't flash your cash and be careful late at night especially when you've had a few.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Evilmags said:

Barcelona:- Las Ramblas is famous for pickpockets ...   

Yup. Favourite trick is for a gaggle of friendly hookers (or pretend hookers) to approach and offer services while clutching at a fella's fella. One tends to ignore one's wallet pocket when one's private kingdom is being invaded. Make it hard to get at.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Evilmags said:

Barcelona:- Las Ramblas is famous for pickpockets ...   

Yup. Favourite trick is for a gaggle of friendly hookers (or pretend hookers) to approach and offer services while clutching at a fella's fella. One tends to ignore one's wallet pocket when one's private kingdom is being invaded. Make it hard to get at.

Which one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Last summer the non serviced aires approaching Calais were closed off by the police, this was before they closed the Jungle down. I've never had any problems on them elsewhere although generally you are advised not to overnight in them (however lorry drivers and many campers do). 
    The French aires decamping-car system is great though, no finer way to meet Dutch people and hear about how lazy the French are :anguished: 

Richardj said:
    Worst things at the moment in France are gangs, curiously usually Eastern Europeans, on the autoroutes either causing accidents to rob you, pretending to be police and robbing you, robbing you if you stop at an aire (a large landscaped rest area without services), or off of the autoroutes chucking eggs at you to make you stop.

Not so much street crime, although being out late at night in the wrong part of any city can be a problem.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    edited March 2017
    Spent a lot of time in Barcelona -it is probably the nicest city in Europe and very safe .
    Las Ramblas is famous for pickpockets -some are so obvious they are almost a tourist attraction - no need to be scared just be vigilant -I have never seen any violence.
    I would rather walk down Las Ramblas than Peckham High street.
    The only other place to be slightly careful is Port Olympico at night and some of the tiny backstreets of the Barri Gottica.
       All of the Diagonal ,Pedralbes ,Montjuic and Palacio areas are totally safe -and this is where most fo the sightseeing is -inc the NOU CAMP which is in Pedralbes.
     If you don't go you will ,miss Europe's best city.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24378
    Me on my hollies, going for a stroll in Barcelona last year...

Image result for armed to the teeth
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Got pickpocketed in Barcelona about 10 years ago. We were on Barcelona Sants railway station waiting on the packed platform. When the train arrived I was putting the suitcases up into the carriage (the platforms were a lot lower than the steps up to the carriage) when a 'kind' individual grabbed one of the cases to lift it up for me. Of course whilst he was doing this his other hand was in my back pocket relieving me of my wallet. Realised as soon as the train doors shut. Reported it to the Police at the airport but they weren't in the least bit interested. The 'kind' helper went through about £500 on my credit card within an hour. As has been previously advised don't put your wallet in your back pocket.     
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24378
    What we need is this:-

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    PSG were robbed in Barcelona...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Get the tourist bus around the city to get your bearings. Visit Gaudi's Segrada Familiar - the most extraordinary building, La Pedrera, and Park Guell. Check apps for good restaurants.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1952
    Cheers Guys - I would be going this weekend

I'm not sure why it's the best city in Europe, but I would like to go and it's a shame that you have to risk a couple of hundred euros walking around
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    It's awful. Imagine going abroad where there's a load of foreigners and they all hate the British. Can't imagine why.