Digitech CabDryVR

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    cheers @monquixote was hoping it might do that job as well, but guess thats not really what its designed for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    For all I know it might, but usually something like that wouldn't normally be designed to drive headphones.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    New demo from Mick and Pete:

Sounds pretty "meh" to begin with through the pedals, but when they put it after a preamp (ie in the loop of the Victory V40, around 24:38) I think it sounds pretty bloody brilliant.

That's good news for me, because it's going to sit after the preamp on my board :)
    <space for hire>
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I'm warming to this one (horrible garish graphics. though).

After a preamp is where I'm looking at putting a stereo IR box - my current setup is the fx send of my Blackstar HT-5H > Boss GE-7 > stereo fx (delays, etc) > 2 x Session JD-10s (analogue speaker sim) > Drawmer stereo compressor > mixing desk.

I'm hoping something like this will not only sound better but also simplify the setup somewhat. I'm still drawn towards the Torpedo CAB, though, for it's power amp modelling - not stereo though, so would have to sit before the stereo fx (noisier? , less sonic possibilities?) and is much more expensive.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593

After a preamp is where I'm looking at putting a stereo IR box - my current setup is the fx send of my Blackstar HT-5H > Boss GE-7 > stereo fx (delays, etc) > 2 x Session JD-10s (analogue speaker sim) > Drawmer stereo compressor > mixing desk.

I'm hoping something like this will not only sound better but also simplify the setup somewhat. I'm still drawn towards the Torpedo CAB, though, for it's power amp modelling - not stereo though, so would have to sit before the stereo fx (noisier? , less sonic possibilities?) and is much more expensive.
    I've found that the Two Notes power amp modelling isn't actually that great. In fact every time I've tried it, it's made the sound noticeably worse (assuming that the CAB is the same as the Torpedo in that it uses Wall of Sound III as the engine in the background).

There's also the fact that the CabDryVR is much smaller, and will work with a standard pedal power supply capable of supplying 9V @ 75mA...as opposed to the CAB, which needs 12-15V @ 300mA.
    <space for hire>
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265

I've found that the Two Notes power amp modelling isn't actually that great. In fact every time I've tried it, it's made the sound noticeably worse (assuming that the CAB is the same as the Torpedo in that it uses Wall of Sound III as the engine in the background).

There's also the fact that the CabDryVR is much smaller, and will work with a standard pedal power supply capable of supplying 9V @ 75mA...as opposed to the CAB, which needs 12-15V @ 300mA.
    That's food for thought - thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to hear the Digitech A/B'd against the Neunaber. Although 'simpler', the Neunaber demos just seem to have 'something' about the sound that appeals. I'm not a metaller though, and most of the Neunaber demos seem to be aimed at that market.

I'd love to see someone like That Pedal Show do a detailed comparison video with all the contenders.- CabDryVR, Iconoclast, Torpedo CAB, BluBox, the AMT one.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    There's some good neunaber iconoclast demos on YouTube- the dedicated headphone amp output appeals, as does the simplicity of the controls, with the computer app for in depth editing/IR matching if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Nice little pedal, and a decent price, AND it would cover my bass playing.....hmmm! I would certainly record more of my ideas properly if I could just hook up a nice few pedals to my Focusrite.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    Bought one of these off the 'bay yesterday.

It's really very good. Clean sounds on a Strat are properly 'bouncy' the way they are through a good amp. Drive sounds are solid, three dimensional and convincing, although putting ultra high gain through it sounds a bit fizzy to me.

You have to spend some time setting it up - initially it sounds a bit like a blanket over the sound, so you have to tweak the cab parameters carefully and if necessary turn up the treble on your preamp/drive pedal.  Once you have balanced the input tone settings, it works beautifully.  

It sounds way better than any other direct out or speaker sim that I've tried in that price range (so Tech 21, Palmer, Blackstar HT Dual direct out).

Doesn't come with a PSU though (and doesn't take batteries so you have to buy/find your own PSU) which must be a cost-cutting measure.

Shame about the lack of XLR out, but the stereo outs really want to be connected to a reverb pedal and then you are set.

• -NFM--NFM- Frets: 10
    mellowsun said:

It's really very good. Clean sounds on a Strat are properly 'bouncy' the way they are through a good amp. Drive sounds are solid, three dimensional and convincing, although putting ultra high gain through it sounds a bit fizzy to me.

You have to spend some time setting it up - initially it sounds a bit like a blanket over the sound, so you have to tweak the cab parameters carefully and if necessary turn up the treble on your preamp/drive pedal.  Once you have balanced the input tone settings, it works beautifully. 
    +1 from me... nice, neat little setup; and it handles clean/driven well (in addition to fuzz, which sometimes can be a bit hit and miss). Does need a little bit of gain or an ‘amp in a box’ pedal just to let the best out of it on cleanish tones though, but hardly an issue! I think you’re probably right about the really high gain stuff, but IMO if you want to play that level of gain, then you really need a mic’d speaker as it needs the ‘space’ of a big speaker stack to let the sound resonate out without sounding thin.

For me it let me get rid of my ‘backup’ which was an EHXTortion, for the XLR out which was ok as a stand in for a larger setup; beats the Tech21 options too but tbh these are slightly different tools and more like preamps to me. Also, I borrowed a Two Notes  Torpedo (don’t know which exact model as there seems to be a couple -sorry!) before buying this to try out impulse responses and wasn’t that impressed (couldn’t get it to feel like a proper amp), so FWIW I’m. Much preferring the CabDryVr (cheesy graphics aside!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom