Gibson sg standard t 2017

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    markk8842 said:
    Thanks, I'll bare that in mind,  I was intending to go to the shop to pick it up and try out some practise amps so I'll see how that goes, on the subject of amps I want to get some advice so should I continue in this discussion or start a new one in the amps section? 
    May as well keep the dicussion here. The answer you are looking for is Yamaha THR 10. :) Great practice amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Elwood said:
    markk8842 said:
    Thanks, I'll bare that in mind,  I was intending to go to the shop to pick it up and try out some practise amps so I'll see how that goes, on the subject of amps I want to get some advice so should I continue in this discussion or start a new one in the amps section? 
    May as well keep the dicussion here. The answer you are looking for is Yamaha THR 10. :) Great practice amp.
    The THR is certainly a good amp, but it really depends what you're going to use it for. If it is simply home practice without the temptation to go to neighbour-rage levels then it's fab. If you might want to jam or rattle the window panes from time to time, then it's not ideal.  I see you're in Sussex:  I'm just up in Haywards Heath and have a THR 10X if you ever want to mosey round and try it. I also have a bloody loud neighbour killer too  ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited March 2017

I surprised myself and just jumped on the Amazon Vintage Sunburst SG at the great price that they are.

Normally, I spend a while thinking about it. This time, I’d just had a refund on a PRS Starla that was very late in delivery and I basically got bored of waiting for it, and I realised for a little extra I could get a real USA Gibson with high quality pickups, a nice case, a nice colour, and in nitro….

Anyway, it arrived yesterday. My lass helpfully put it in the house and by the time I got in it was to a decent temperature (it’s not cold here at all, and the house didn’t have the heating on so I just waited the 3-4 hours it said on the Gibson box). It arrived in a sealed Gibson box. Lots of warning tape that said to not accept it if the seal had been broken!

I opened it up and the case is lovely, and I couldn’t believe how light it was even in the case! I’m used to 5 string Musicman basses so this thing is crazy light.

I gave it a little longer and slowly opened her up….lovely lovely colour. I love the sunburst on the back of the body and neck. They haven’t gone overboard with the black which I prefer.

Smells like a Gibson! The chrome is super shiny, the build quality looks fantastic (but I’ve not checked it 100% yet) and the fit and finish seem pretty much spot on, especially for a guitar at this price. It looks much better than some £3000 ES-335 and Les Paul models I’ve seen locally in the stores!

Maybe it is the fact that this doesn’t have so much ‘bling’….it’s basically a nice piece of mahogany with some nice hardware and neck binding/inlays.

I’ve seen so many horror stories on other websites about SG’s turning up with wonky tuners, super high action, poor paint jobs, poorly fitted switches, etc…..even too much paint on the headstock almost covering up the serial number! None of this here…I’m happy to say. If I find the odd mark or tinnnnyyyy imperfection I’ll live with it because the rest seems so nice (paintwork is super pretty) but so far, I’m impressed, and believe me I am picky.

Oh, you still get the little photo from Gibson with the SGs showing the day it was finished. Nice touch. Comes with a leather strap, nice multi tool in a soft bag, QC card and a manual.

If you want an SG, and you want a small guard (I personally prefer it) and 57 Classics, this is the time to strike. I don’t like the other colours so much….so this was perfect for me personally. I do however like the classic SG cherry….

I'm a fan of Amazon, so that helps, but considering what the majority of stores are selling these for, this is somewhat of a bargain. Seems to have been shipped from one of their Italian warehouses?! No idea....anyway it was quick and painless, as Amazon always seem to be.

I like to think that guitar stores will continue to exist and thrive, but when Amazon are offering things such as this, I am of course going to use them.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Pics or it didn't happen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    rico said:
    Pics or it didn't happen. 

It'll happen hahahah!
  • Congrats on new guitar, Very pleased you're so happy with it, what model of the thr 10 do you have? do you know what is different on the 10c model? Seen a demo of the 10x online and if the sound is genuine it seems amazing. Does the x have a clean sound as well as the full on scream? 95% of the time I need to keep volume very low but still want a mega lead sound, I've also been looking online at the Marshall code 25, loads of fx which is a bonus, the mg15cfx, the orange crush 20rt and the Blackstar ht-1r, any opinions would be appreciated...
    Here!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's a little more sunburst in real life...
    Mine seems ok in terms of balance. I've given it a good look over this weekend and honestly, despite all the nightmare threads of Gibson quality, it's a very nicely put together guitar. I've not found (thankfully) any of the issues I've heard about with this one, e.g. too much lacquer on the headstock covering up the serial number, chips under the bridge where it has been fitted, loose pickup switch, wonky tuners....

The only thing I found is a minor little scratch of the nitro on the neck right near the body, and some of the binding is a little (and I am being SUPER picky here) dirty.

Doesn't need a setup. Happy!