Noiseless pickups in a Strat, yay or nay?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I had a set of those Fender Noiseless 'Hot' pickups - allgedly the ones Jeff Beck uses.

Crap. Horrible. Flat. Lifeless. Plus they weren't noiseLESS they had LESS noise.

I have a set of SAs in my synth guitar - nice but they sound different to a good strat.

To misquote the great John Peel

"Background noise? Life's got fucking background noise"

So NAY from me.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Veganic said:
    Unfortunately both you and @Veganic are wrong. 

Both of those are the same track with Noiseless Pickups except with the second I added more noise artificially.  
    Technically I said 2 was noiseless :)

I just guessed - I couldn't tell any diffrence other than 2 seemed to has less 'noise.'

The fact that you can hear less noise is strange, I literally simulated a big muff on my Zoom on full gain and recorded the noise then added it to the track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Veganic said:
    Unfortunately both you and @Veganic are wrong. 

Both of those are the same track with Noiseless Pickups except with the second I added more noise artificially.  
    Technically I said 2 was noiseless :)

I just guessed - I couldn't tell any diffrence other than 2 seemed to has less 'noise.'

The fact that you can hear less noise is strange, I literally simulated a big muff on my Zoom on full gain and recorded the noise then added it to the track.

Perhaps it masked the more detailed qualities of that particular recording, making the second track sound smoother? The point of not using noiseless pickups is so that the actual pickups sound more interesting - it's not to add (inaudible) noise. At least that explains why it was so hard to hear much difference.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Depends where your playing. A modern wired house won't make much noise if it is properly done and lit with LEDs . A pub with old wiring then noiseless is better and EMGS much better.