Nitro on poly... what's the point?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453

I have sold many C/Shop Fenders and it is clearly noticeable how much more of a vibrant acoustic character you'll find on an aged finish, v a new shiny gloss finish (NOS) - clearly noticeable on an unplugged test in most instances - A NOS finish is thicker (albeit by a negligible amount)
    I remember talking to the head of the Fender Custom Shop for the UK.  He has a very similar opinion.  There is a common perception that relics tend to sound better than NOS and he puts it down to the finish being thinner on the relics.

Having said that, I don't like relics over much - at least not the over the top heavy relics.  I had a heavy relic CS Tele for a couple of years but it just didn't look right - it sounded great though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    crunchman said:

I have sold many C/Shop Fenders and it is clearly noticeable how much more of a vibrant acoustic character you'll find on an aged finish, v a new shiny gloss finish (NOS) - clearly noticeable on an unplugged test in most instances - A NOS finish is thicker (albeit by a negligible amount)
    I remember talking to the head of the Fender Custom Shop for the UK.  He has a very similar opinion.  There is a common perception that relics tend to sound better than NOS and he puts it down to the finish being thinner on the relics.

Having said that, I don't like relics over much - at least not the over the top heavy relics.  I had a heavy relic CS Tele for a couple of years but it just didn't look right - it sounded great though.
    I also wonder if it's partly to do with whatever heating/cooling or whatever it is they do to check the finishes. Whatever it is, I agree.

I don't like the heavy relics at all either - in fact I don't like relics really. My idea of a 'light relic' is one where the ageing is simulated but no fake damage… ie just as if it's a fifty year-old guitar which has been taken immaculate care of by its owner. If the ageing improves the tone, that's all they need. The fake damage doesn't and is just fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom