Amp search nearly over. Mesa stiletto, DSL100 or try a blackstar series 1, anyone tried/owned one??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Did I put you off the Stiletto in those PMs a few weeks back?  :'(

;)

Only kidding. But I do think you should just get one.

The more I play mine, the more I love it. Literally the only criticism of it I have is that it can be made too bright, but it's like the old joke -

"Dr! It hurts my ears when I turn the treble control past 12 o'clock."

"Well, don't do that then."

We're working up a set for a gig on Saturday that has a lot more Strat in it than I've been using for the last couple of years, and it's reminded me just how sensitive it is to the tone of different guitars. With my Humbuck'r'd Explorer, it's a thick and crunchy, relatively modern sounding distortion machine. With my P90'd LP it's got lovely honky thick mids, and that rough and raw high end that I love without being "bright". Plug the Strat in and with exactly the same settings channel 2 has a squelchy bluesy pick attack that I absolutely love. Or stick to the clean channel, use an SD-1 and/or Rat 2 with delay and get Gilmour-esque lead sounds.

It really is the best amp I've ever used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Cirrus said:
    Did I put you off the Stiletto in those PMs a few weeks back?  :'(

;)

Only kidding. But I do think you should just get one.

The more I play mine, the more I love it. Literally the only criticism of it I have is that it can be made too bright, but it's like the old joke -

"Dr! It hurts my ears when I turn the treble control past 12 o'clock."

"Well, don't do that then."

We're working up a set for a gig on Saturday that has a lot more Strat in it than I've been using for the last couple of years, and it's reminded me just how sensitive it is to the tone of different guitars. With my Humbuck'r'd Explorer, it's a thick and crunchy, relatively modern sounding distortion machine. With my P90'd LP it's got lovely honky thick mids, and that rough and raw high end that I love without being "bright". Plug the Strat in and with exactly the same settings channel 2 has a squelchy bluesy pick attack that I absolutely love. Or stick to the clean channel, use an SD-1 and/or Rat 2 with delay and get Gilmour-esque lead sounds.

It really is the best amp I've ever used.
    Thanks Cirrus.

I think you're right, I should just go and buy it!!

Any suggestions for a decent cab to go with it??
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    I dunno, I think a good cab is a good cab really, no matter what you plug into it. I love my combo one so I'd say a solid non-oversized closed back 2x12 would be the ticket. But, that's my personal taste, I prefer 2x12s.

Speakers - V30s are good for modern sounds, I preferred G12-65s for the looser, more vintage thing. I'd love to try it out with a pair of greenbacks or G12-30s, never had the opportunity though.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Cirrus said:
    I dunno, I think a good cab is a good cab really, no matter what you plug into it. I love my combo one so I'd say a solid non-oversized closed back 2x12 would be the ticket. But, that's my personal taste, I prefer 2x12s.

Speakers - V30s are good for modern sounds, I preferred G12-65s for the looser, more vintage thing. I'd love to try it out with a pair of greenbacks or G12-30s, never had the opportunity though.
    I think g12h30's would sound great. Theres a cab for sale near me that has a set of blackbacks in, but I don;t know enough about vintage speakers to know if there are issues or not.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    I like Creambacks with JCM800 type sounds.

I find them a bit more versatile than V30s - but I like them too.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I found the v30s too shouty with the Stiletto, much prefer creambacks or cl80s with it.