I'm off to Krakow tomorow. Any tips?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Thanks @benmurray85 and @the_pman28

We've been wondering what else to do other than get pissed. The walks sound perfect. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1777
    I'm keen to go to Krakow as my granddad was from a village near there but ended up in the UK during WW2. I don't know for certain but I'd imagine that a fair amount of that side of the family ended up at Auschwitz so I'm not sure how I'd feel going there - it's probably something I need to do though. Not sure it would fit in to a family holiday with a 3 and a 6 year old though!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Well Krakow was great. What a lovely place. So many bars and restaurants, amazing architecture and obviously lots of history. We had a night in the Jewish sector which was really good as well as nights in central Krakow trying all the beers and food we could. Cheapest pint worked out to 93p, most expensive was about 3 quid. Food was cheap. 

We went to Gestapo HQ, Oscar Schindler's factory, the Jewish graveyard and a synagogue. We walked everywhere. It's definitely the best way of appreciating all the sites.

Auschwitz was one of the most emotional experiences of my life, particularly Birkenhau (although Auschwitz 1 was too, just in a different way).
    When we left the end of the train line/gas chambers it started to thunder and lightning. With the gateway of death on the horizon it was a haunting scene.
    I felt so lucky to be going back to our leather seated, air conditioned Mercedes bus when so many peoples lives stopped right there. That will stay with me forever.

We also went on a communism tour of the Nowa Huta area in a Trabant. Imagine my surprise when the tour guide turned up; she was a beautiful 20 something who spoke better English than we did. We drank beer at 10am in a communist restaurant and saw all the sites but I was embarrassed by being so ill informed of the hardship those living in it all as recently as the late 80's experienced. In 1987 all I was worried about was girls, going out and spending money. 

If you're in any doubt of visiting Poland don't hesitate. It's fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Deadman said:
    Well Krakow was great. What a lovely place. So many bars and restaurants, amazing architecture and obviously lots of history. We had a night in the Jewish sector which was really good as well as nights in central Krakow trying all the beers and food we could. Cheapest pint worked out to 93p, most expensive was about 3 quid. Food was cheap. 

We went to Gestapo HQ, Oscar Schindler's factory, the Jewish graveyard and a synagogue. We walked everywhere. It's definitely the best way of appreciating all the sites.

Auschwitz was one of the most emotional experiences of my life, particularly Birkenhau (although Auschwitz 1 was too, just in a different way).
    When we left the end of the train line/gas chambers it started to thunder and lightning. With the gateway of death on the horizon it was a haunting scene.
    I felt so lucky to be going back to our leather seated, air conditioned Mercedes bus when so many peoples lives stopped right there. That will stay with me forever.

We also went on a communism tour of the Nowa Huta area in a Trabant. Imagine my surprise when the tour guide turned up; she was a beautiful 20 something who spoke better English than we did. We drank beer at 10am in a communist restaurant and saw all the sites but I was embarrassed by being so ill informed of the hardship those living in it all as recently as the late 80's experienced. In 1987 all I was worried about was girls, going out and spending money. 

If you're in any doubt of visiting Poland don't hesitate. It's fantastic. 
    All the aboce is true. Also - lovely people, plenty of interesting history sites. 
    Also - don't limit yourself to ''Slask'' (Krakow, Wroclaw and areas) as there are so much more to visit in Poland - Tatra Mountains, beautiful Baltic Sea (although very busy during the season) and Bieszczady (especially during autumn).
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bieszczady&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEv-P87cHUAhVGrRQKHbfMCfUQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=894#tbm=isch&q=bieszczady+jesienią
    I'm going back @BigBearKris so thanks for that. Agreed, the people really are lovely. I've always had respect for the Polish, but even more so now.

I think everybody also knows how cheap and easy it is to get there.

For 4 nights including flights, transfers, nice hotel, tours, all the food and drink I could consume and allowing for tips and some gifts to take home cost me 400 quid. Also, 2 and a 1\4 hours flight from Leeds. Bloody brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Wow so great to read all those kind comments on Krakow and the country!
    I've lived for years close to the city, have also worked there for tesco for a while.
    My advice for anyone going - make sure you pay a visit to Harris Piano Jazz Bar in the main square. Best place for daily live music in Krakow, mainly jam nights featuring students from the jazz academies in Krakow and Katowice. These guys are really sick players with jaw dropping skills.
    If you need any more info I'm happy to help anytime.
    Heh I was surprised to see the big Tesco (passed it on the way to Oswiecim). Is that where you work?

We had a great night in the Harris bar too! There was an awesome band on and the drink was flowing. Everybody was having a great time and I loved the atmosphere.

You're lucky to live in such an awesome place @KrisGee   ;)
    I'm now in the UK @Deadman, left the country in 2005 but keep visiting the area every year. Krakow changed a lot in the meantime and is now a super easy place to go around and stay in. Loads of good accomodation, new railway station and a huge shopping mall right next to it. Tourist info has improved a lot too.
    The only thing that can spoil one's stay in the city are begging gypsies who will spit into your food if ya don't give them money! Happened to me once when eating outside in the main square ;)
    And yes that's the tesco I worked at. The place I lived in is a small village called Plawy, only couple hundred meters from the Birkenau camp, I could see the guard towers from our garden. Creepy when you walk past it after dusk and the camp lights are on...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Man, I bet. Even the sight of the train track to Oswiecim at night was enough to freak me out.
    We never saw any gypsies, more annoying were the young women approaching you to go in the 'gentlemens' clubs.

Well, great country, great people. I can't wait to go back again. Cheers.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    edited June 2017
    please don't take this as an insult anyone, but why would I want to visit the scene of the biggest mass murder ever?
    I find the historical info I've read upsetting enough, why visit in person?
    I know plenty of nice people who do, but I can't see why anyone would want to

this came up at home this week, I thought about a trip to Poland in August, and my Mrs asked if I'd want to visit one of the camps
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    please don't take this as an insult anyone, but why would I want to visit the scene of the biggest mass murder ever?

this came up at home this week, I thought about a trip to Poland in August, and my Mrs asked if I'd want to visit one of the camps
    Assuming your serious? I think its incredibly pertinent given recent events in the past decade or so that you can actually see how these things have panned out in the not so distant history. There are parts of Auschwitz that are macabre and heart wrenching, there were parts that left me physically speechless and Im generally a pretty cold, unaffected person but its important to know what happened, to understand it and I can genuinely say it has changed my outlook on a lot of things. 

Completely appreciate its not everyones cup of tea but I think its ludicrous to dismiss it out of hand. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916

Assuming your serious? I think its incredibly pertinent given recent events in the past decade or so that you can actually see how these things have panned out in the not so distant history. There are parts of Auschwitz that are macabre and heart wrenching, there were parts that left me physically speechless and Im generally a pretty cold, unaffected person but its important to know what happened, to understand it and I can genuinely say it has changed my outlook on a lot of things. 

Completely appreciate its not everyones cup of tea but I think its ludicrous to dismiss it out of hand. 
    I am serious, I am upset enough reading about the holocaust, I am sure I would be more upset visiting the sites where it happened - I think if I go to Poland for a week I would concentrate on visiting places that are all about Poland, rather than the sites of Nazi war crimes. I fully agree with maintaining these sites as memorials, especially nowadays when there are idiots who want to deny that these crimes occurred

I'm not wanting to insult anyone, I know plenty of nice people who've visited these places, but to me it's visiting a murder scene, and I'm just not sure what benefit it would bring to me or anyone else to visit. There are many mass murder sites around the world, and I doubt I would spend a day visiting one of them when I was in the country for a week. 

Having said all that, if anyone else finds the TV footage and books inadequately tangible, I guess a visit in person could be useful
    edited June 2017
    I saw it more as paying my respects. I hardly spoke while I was there as I was in reflection mode.
    There's a beautiful memorial at the end of the train line at Birkenhau and people visit from all over the world to see it. It becomes a spiritual thing when you're there. It's not bloodthirsty or in any way tacky. There were many school kids in groups learning all the horrors when I was there. Long may it continue in my opinion as it should never be forgotten.

You're not alone by the way. My wife doesn't want to go as it upsets her too much.

Each to their own, I wouldn't knock anyone about how they feel either way. At least we get a choice.
    edited June 2017
    I think if I go to Poland for a week I would concentrate on visiting places that are all about Poland, rather than the sites of Nazi war crimes. 
    I know what you mean but... I'm afraid you will have to skip Poland then as the entire country was a place of a mass murder from the hands of Germans and Russians - 6 milion people in total!
    Visiting Warsaw alone is like walking on a huge cemetary, most of the construction sites these days suffer from massive delays as remains are still being found in large numbers.

What makes Auschwitz and Birkenau different tho is that these places were organized. To the smallest detail. It has to be seen to be believed and not forgotten. Like a warning. I often see stupid comments on facebook like "Hitler would know what to do with those refugees ha ha ha." Some fvcking morons need to go and see and learn the lesson... Don't mean you here of course.
    Not to mention that in some way the camps are also places of burial and families of the victims want simply go and pay respect.

If you ever have a chance to go - do it. It will leave you upset, terrified, you might not want to eat till the end of the day but you will bring back home with you far more than just a few pics, fridge magnet or a hangover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    I am there for a stag party in September.   There has been talk of a trip to Auschwitz as we know it's something the Stag would normally want to do.   It just feels a bit wrong mixing these two things.
    WezV said:
    I am there for a stag party in September.   There has been talk of a trip to Auschwitz as we know it's something the Stag would normally want to do.   It just feels a bit wrong mixing these two things.
    I see what you mean, but you will obviously separate the two. Go. You'll be glad you did.

The nightlife in Krakow is superb by the way. More bars per square metre than anywhere else in the world I was told. And in such a beautiful setting.