Expensive amps with crap graphics and fonts

What's Hot

Comments

• impmann said:

The inverse is also true... how many times have you turned up to see a band in a pub and the guitarist has too many guitars, an enormous amp and huge pedal board only to sound average at best. He just looks a prat to non-players.
    Actually that would give me something to look at, similar to going to a guitar shop! 

Not sure he'd 'looks a prat to non-players'? most people in a pub (unless he's crap), would think he'd look the part, I tend to think a lot of the negativity would come from other guitarists, either bedroom or gigging. What's wrong with having all the gear if you can afford it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Agreed with the OP on Swart, I think 65 stuff is cool and distinctive though, and I love the look (and TONE) of 633. Hamsteads look a lot cheaper than they actually are.

I really hate the self-consciously "METAAAAL" aesthetic of many Engl heads, like the Special Edition with its stupid pseudo-Satanic red glow and preposterous banks of switches, which make it look far cheaper than its £2500 price tag would suggest.

http://englamps.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/E_670.jpg

It's cheap, but the ugliest guitar amp ever made is the 2007-ish-spec Carlsbro TC60. Sounds better than it looks, which is just as well.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/AmsAAOSwgQ9VzNKZ/$_86.JPG
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    impmann said:

...how many times have you turned up to see a band in a pub and the guitarist has too many guitars, an enormous amp and huge pedal board only to sound average at best. He just looks a prat to non-players.
    Oi! I resemble that remark... :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    TTBZ said:
    Not amps but Xotic use bloody comic sans on some of their pedals. Don't care how good it sounds, it just looks horrible and clearly no thought has gone into designing the graphics. If they were cheap it could be ignored but at their high prices you want at least a bit of thought gone into how it looks.
    I think some boutique pedal makers are actually anti-style.

Rather than making something attractive they are purposely going for the "knocked up in the shed" look.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    impmann said:

The inverse is also true... how many times have you turned up to see a band in a pub and the guitarist has too many guitars, an enormous amp and huge pedal board only to sound average at best. He just looks a prat to non-players.
    Actually that would give me something to look at, similar to going to a guitar shop! 

Not sure he'd 'looks a prat to non-players'? most people in a pub (unless he's crap), would think he'd look the part, I tend to think a lot of the negativity would come from other guitarists, either bedroom or gigging. What's wrong with having all the gear if you can afford it?
    I speak from experience of 1) being on the receiving end (being the 'prat') - too much gear and a bad sound and 2) watching a few pub gigs where the sheer volume of equipment the guitarist had looked daft, and was commented on by non-players.

"Looking the part" - almost, swap around two letters of the final word and thats what a lot of folk think when you rock up with huge amps, lots of guitars and flashing lights on a three foot pedalboard. Only guitarists think "cool"... believe me.

Frankly, if someone has a battered old amp on a chair at the back of the stage, one guitar and puts on a great show, the equipment is utterly irrelevant to everyone except guitar players.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    It's not only the fonts etc but the names. Standing at the top are Friedmans - marketed at middle aged blokes with names thought up by 13 year olds. 55 year old balding flabby middle manager ( yep I know that's half if us) with an amp with Dirty Shirley written across it just looks a twat 
    A Dirty Shirley is an alcoholic Shirley Temple Cocktail (with Vodka ,I think )
     -it's not a sex thing although I can guess what a Pink Taco is

Morgan should join forces with Freidman. 

They have .............they are made in the same Factory as are Tone King and Wampler -all the same factory.

Lebarque said:
    Good: Most amps which use the guy's surname 
    Not sure I agree:

Carr - no - because it reminds me of Jimmy Carr.

Freidman - no - because it reminds me of Dean Friedman who recorded the truly awful 'Lucky Stars'

Morgan - no - because it's a very dull name....
    or Fender because it reminds me of a bloke who designed guitars !
    AND -THE DEAN FRIEDMAN SONG WAS BRILLIANT and he was a nice Jewish boy (so his mum said )
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Danny1969 said:
    I don't understand why people care what amps look like, I mean guitars yeah but amps are just at the back of the stage in the dark. We have our back to them, the audience don't care about them if they could see em ... I don't get it. 
    If I built one it would probably be covered in checkerplate and built to not break rather than built to look good. Most of the above would have to be hardcased to survive in your typical band van 
    Wis awarded. On stage who gives a damn about how an amp 'looks'? Bedroom players do care at least until they join a band where they usually cotton on to the fact that nobody gives a fuck how the amp looks. :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    What about amps that offend the sense of smell? My amp stinks since blowing an OT.
  • Laney Amps look like if British Leyland took up guitar 

although I do love a good 'ol  random 70's Rigs of Doom type amp
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Dominic said:

Morgan should join forces with Freidman. 

They have .............they are made in the same Factory as are Tone King and Wampler -all the same factory.
    Is it near Shawshank?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Rocker said:

Wis awarded. On stage who gives a damn about how an amp 'looks'? Bedroom players do care at least until they join a band where they usually cotton on to the fact that nobody gives a fuck how the amp looks. :)
    I do. Not least because there are amps I wouldn't play on stage because they would make me look like a prat… in the same way as an overly-flashy PRS at a pub gig does. eg a Bad Cat with the cats-eyes logo.

I need all the help I can get not to look like a prat, so I'm not going to make it harder for myself than I have to. :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I really don't care what stuff looks like. I'd happily play with it all off stage as long as it sounds/feels good. In fact, if I get an Helix that's effectively what I would be doing! 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Bucket said:

I really hate the self-consciously "METAAAAL" aesthetic of many Engl heads, like the Special Edition with its stupid pseudo-Satanic red glow and preposterous banks of switches, which make it look far cheaper than its £2500 price tag would suggest.

I'm going to have to put that in the classified ad for the one I'm selling ;)
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    I wouldn't say the Redplate design team are exactly knocking it out the park..... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    The amp graphics/font aren't exactly the be-all and end-all for me, but I can get some added inspiration from a nice looking amp. I'm a design freak so this stuff means a lot to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27081
    Aesthetics are very important for probably half the market. I'm absolutely in that half and there are a large number of amps that I wouldn't ever consider purely because they look shitty.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I really don't care what stuff looks like. I'd happily play with it all off stage as long as it sounds/feels good. In fact, if I get an Helix that's effectively what I would be doing! 
    Keep this in your living room for a month
    http://i.imgur.com/pEgxiEK.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom