Things to do round about Chester?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Go to West Kirby beach if the sun is out, you can walk to the islands if the tide is right
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    you can get into Liverpool in 40m on the train, or drive under the river through a tunnel
    There's a lot of museums. City centre is not as big or interesting as Manchester, but still very good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • google the Crocky Trail - should be good for a 6 year old

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Wow. Much wisdom to all.  Will be googling shortly 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I grew up in Chester and often take my kids there. They now do the same as I did - run up and down the odd platform things on the "rows". Simple old fashioned fun. Grosvenor museum is good and free
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    So, we had a great time.  Had 3 full days there so it was one day at the Zoo, one combining the Blue Planet Aquarium with Cheshire Oaks and one day at Knowsley Safari Park.

We'd last been at the Zoo 5 years ago and I was amazed at how much it seemed to have grown and we were well lucky and saw the baby Orang-utan when we were on the boat trip (Top advice about heading straight there though.  We parked up as the zoo opened and went direct to the boats so we only waited about 5 minutes  to get on...by the time we left the queues looked to be about an hour.)

We were staying in a barn conversion at the end of the M56 so pretty much the bottom of Ellesmere Port but we ventured into Chester for a couple of dinners which was nice.

The one thing that struck me, and I hope it doesn't sound condescending or judgemental, was how friendly people were...even in the Ellesmere Port Tesco Metro where the cheese was security tagged.

Would definitely head back that way again and would like to visit Liverpool as it's probably the biggest place in the UK that I haven't been before.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    The Zoo is a snoozefest apart from the batcave
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    cj73 said:
    So, we had a great time.  Had 3 full days there so it was one day at the Zoo, one combining the Blue Planet Aquarium with Cheshire Oaks and one day at Knowsley Safari Park.

We'd last been at the Zoo 5 years ago and I was amazed at how much it seemed to have grown and we were well lucky and saw the baby Orang-utan when we were on the boat trip (Top advice about heading straight there though.  We parked up as the zoo opened and went direct to the boats so we only waited about 5 minutes  to get on...by the time we left the queues looked to be about an hour.)

We were staying in a barn conversion at the end of the M56 so pretty much the bottom of Ellesmere Port but we ventured into Chester for a couple of dinners which was nice.

The one thing that struck me, and I hope it doesn't sound condescending or judgemental, was how friendly people were...even in the Ellesmere Port Tesco Metro where the cheese was security tagged.

Would definitely head back that way again and would like to visit Liverpool as it's probably the biggest place in the UK that I haven't been before.
    glad you liked it
    Liverpool is worth a visit, the older museums are better than the new. The beatles exhibits are usually a let-down
    the "ropewalks" area (Bold St) is much more interesting than the new shopping area
    All the shopping areas are uncovered except for an old 60s skanky place, so don't go in the cold or rain

If you go in the summer, try West Kirby beach or Parkgate

The Zoo is a snoozefest apart from the batcave
    nah, there's something for everyone, I bought my Mrs a lifetime membership - that's an endorsement
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Go back! We're playing there on Friday, alongside Welsh electro prog triumvirate Gallops. 

Chester that is, not the Zoo specifically