Marshall Guvn'r Plus 2 - C22 'mod'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1508
    edited July 2021
    Ok, I might have to freeze the knobs with duct tape or something. 

Or I could document it here:

Gain at 8 o'clock.
    Deep at max.
    Bass at 1 o'clock.
    Mids at max.
    Treble at max.
    Volume at 2 o'clock.

Have set the Katana EQ to flat, resonance to 'vintage' and presence at 3 o'clock, clean channel. This has sent me back a few decades in time. 

I reckon I shan't be modding this one. But I won’t say I idolise it, because I don’t want it to end up in the classifieds in two weeks time bleep_bloop 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I did mine, it's the easiest mod I have ever done, I just lifted a leg in case I was going to reverse it but I preferred the post mod sound. I  also thought about fitting  a switch so I could select either mode but I went cool on the pedal so decided against it.  I still have it but it seems to spend more time out on loan than in use by me these days so....... time to unload??.
    dilbert said:
    I did mine, it's the easiest mod I have ever done, I just lifted a leg in case I was going to reverse it but I preferred the post mod sound. I  also thought about fitting  a switch so I could select either mode but I went cool on the pedal so decided against it.  I still have it but it seems to spend more time out on loan than in use by me these days so....... time to unload??.
    Mine has definitely earned its place – for now. I also have a Blackstar LT Dual, but I couldn't get a confident low gain/crunch response from it. I guess now that I have both I can record a riff on my Wiretap and compare the response to knob settings on both. I find the Blackstar to be more versatile outside of the crunch range, but that may just be me not knowing what to do with the knobs – I'm still nothing more than an aspiring ignorant. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    dilbert said:
    I haven't opened mine up. Is there a picture or vid somewhere to show how to access and snip or lift up the leg? 

Does the mod render inactive any of the rotary controls? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 668
    Voxman said:
    dilbert said:
    I haven't opened mine up. Is there a picture or vid somewhere to show how to access and snip or lift up the leg? 

I’m sure if you Google it, there are images and it’s fairly easy to find. In fact, I don’t even think you need to Google it, just open it up and you can see it.

It doesn’t affect any of the controls :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Voxman said:
    dilbert said:

I’m sure if you Google it, there are images and it’s fairly easy to find. In fact, I don’t even think you need to Google it, just open it up and you can see it.

It doesn’t affect any of the controls :)
    Thanks @smudge_lad ;
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    While we’re here… what do you folks think of the NUX Plexi Crunch? Have watched Dave Simpson’s (sponsored) review and it sounded crackers. 

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    Resurrecting this old thread because I've just modded my rehoused GV-2.

I didn't remove C22 but replaced it with a 47pF ceramic disc cap and the difference is quite striking. It has definitely increased the treble content for the better. Blanket lifted indeed!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    There’s a VERY detailed video on YouTube where a chap does various mods and gets a GV2 to the exact same frequency response (on a trace anyway) as a Mki but it took more than a single component change, if that’s of interest 
    Red ones are better.