Loop switcher pedal question

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9873
Hi all, potentially a bit of a silly question but thought worth an ask to see if my whimsy actually could work out.

Say you have an 8 loop switcher, for example the Joyo PXL8, which has one input, one output, then 8 send and return loops. Could you use it with two instruments, and use one loop for each of them as an input?

So to put it as simple as possible, say like...

Guitar into return of loop 1, Loop 2 send to pedals, then use pedals outputs to guitar amp.
And
Keyboard into return of loop 3, loops 4 send to pedals, then use pedals outputs to keyboard amp.

Then store presets that only engage loops 1&2 for guitar, or 3&4 for keys, and never both simultaneously. So I'd step on the preset button for keys to start playing that, and then step on the one for guitar to carry on playing guitar.

Would this work how I think it would?
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Unless I've completely misunderstood your description then I don't see what this gives you that you don't get by just connecting the guitar directly to its pedals and the keyboard directly to its pedals
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9873
    Aha I've probably not explained myself very well.

It would give me the functionality of the switcher so I could use four loops each for the guitar and keyboard, and the presets would be set so as to silence one when the other is engaged (if you've ever played keyboard with a guitar on your front you'll know what I mean)
  • as far as i'm aware the pxl pro can be used as 2 seperate 4 loopers, so yes u could could do that.
    i might be wrong as i dont get to work those very often. give it a go see what happens.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28667
    I think you can do it but only with three loops per instrument.

Guitar into the input of the unit, then through loops 1, 2 & 3, then loop 4's Send goes off to the guitar amp.

Keyboard into the return of loop 5, then through loops 6, 7 & 8, and the final output of the unit goes to the keyboard amp.

That's just from a quick think-through though. I might have missed something.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    If you had a tuner (like a TU3) that can cut the signal from the guitar, that's what I tend to do if I'm playing harmonica with the guitar still hanging around my neck. Doesn't silence the keyboard but unless you lean on the keys it won't make random noises like a guitar can. 
    Or is it not that simple? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9873
    Sporky said:
    I think you can do it but only with three loops per instrument.

Guitar into the input of the unit, then through loops 1, 2 & 3, then loop 4's Send goes off to the guitar amp.

Keyboard into the return of loop 5, then through loops 6, 7 & 8, and the final output of the unit goes to the keyboard amp.

That's just from a quick think-through though. I might have missed something.
    Yes exactly, when I said four loops each I did mean 3+1 as input in actual fact. Please forgive me I'm from the Black Country so I can't use words properly  

If you had a tuner (like a TU3) that can cut the signal from the guitar, that's what I tend to do if I'm playing harmonica with the guitar still hanging around my neck. Doesn't silence the keyboard but unless you lean on the keys it won't make random noises like a guitar can. 
    Or is it not that simple? 
    No you're right that would also do the silencing bit but not the loop switching bit, the idea being that effectively I'd only need the switcher and my whammy on the floor and the rest of the pedals neatly wired up on a shelf ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    I no longer have mine but I reckon you can do it it because the Joyo can do 4CM. You would go guitar to Joyo input then your guitar effects in loops 1-4 and then FX-send would go to guitar amp input. Then for the keyboard  you would put the  keyboard into FX-return on the Joyo then loops 5-8 then joyo output to  keyboard amp. You can set up four effects per bank  for each instrument. I think that you might need to turn the guitar volume before you switched over to the keyboard. Or possibly you could use MUTE to  mute the guitar but still use the keyboard config as MUTE just mutes the first input, not the loops and send/return.