Iconic pics that sum up guitar rock n roll?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2017
    impmann said:
    TTBZ said:

Cheesy as fuck but awesome. 
    Sums up the period well...

Stupid videos shot on mega-bucks budgets in that warm orange glow. Plonker who thinks its cool to have boots outside his (dirty) denim jeans, who can't put his hankerchief away in his pocket properly, and who's forgotten his shirt - a pot belly sitting on top of your burst isn't "cool". Guitar as an extension of penis - and not plugged into anything, nor anything resembling an amp anywhere on the horizon. Hair blowing whistfully in the breeze, but in reality would mean that the sand from that desert he's standing in would go in his eyes - much like the shock of hair. The resultant sand storm would strip the nitro from that Les Paul too. Ridiculous song, that meandered along as only a pop-rock ballad can until the "big solo" that was supposed to show the emotional side of the band... as opposed to their cocaine snorting, girl chasing, heavy drinking macho chest beating.

To me, that doesn't sum up Rock n Roll - it sums up everything that went *wrong* with Rock n Roll and was cleansed by Cobain and all that came after.

But hey - we all like different things. :-)
    Aye Cobain swapped the coke for smack, the partying for complaining about being famous, the over the top stage shows for mock instrument smashing (only after changing to cheap instruments first of course), thank god someone came along to suck the fun out of rock otherwise bands would have carried on enjoying life and the fame they had earned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2017
    the over the top stage shows for mock instrument smashing (only after changing to cheap instruments first of course)

Umm, no, that didnt happen. I cant think of anyone with less regard for or interest in the value of his guitars than Kurt Cobain. By all means carry on listening to and enjoying Warrant and Skid Row, but dont go making things up now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2017
    the over the top stage shows for mock instrument smashing (only after changing to cheap instruments first of course)

Umm, no, that didnt happen. I cant think of anyone with less regard for or interest in the value of his guitars than Kurt Cobain. By all means carry on listening to and enjoying Warrant and Skid Row, but dont go making things up now
    You never seen him smash up a cheap strat at the end of a gig? Really? Pretty much standard that guitar would be changed a song or 2 before end of the show. In the beginning I'm not saying it didn't start off real but very quickly became an act, sorry to dent that memory for you. Pat Smear also confirmed it.

Smear added, “So he started sending me and Kurt boxes of Mexican Strats out on the road. ‘Don’t smash those, smash these instead!’ 

For what it's worth I can honestly say I've never (knowingly) listened to warrant or skid row, I'm a child (teen) of the 90s and very much consider myself a grunge child, with Pearl Jam being my favorite band ever.

However it did suck the fun out of rock for almost a decade, everything was so serious and most of them were busy trying to kill themselves with heroin while whinging about being famous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    impmann said:
    TTBZ said:

Cheesy as fuck but awesome. 
    Sums up the period well...

Stupid videos shot on mega-bucks budgets in that warm orange glow. Plonker who thinks its cool to have boots outside his (dirty) denim jeans, who can't put his hankerchief away in his pocket properly, and who's forgotten his shirt - a pot belly sitting on top of your burst isn't "cool". Guitar as an extension of penis - and not plugged into anything, nor anything resembling an amp anywhere on the horizon. Hair blowing whistfully in the breeze, but in reality would mean that the sand from that desert he's standing in would go in his eyes - much like the shock of hair. The resultant sand storm would strip the nitro from that Les Paul too. Ridiculous song, that meandered along as only a pop-rock ballad can until the "big solo" that was supposed to show the emotional side of the band... as opposed to their cocaine snorting, girl chasing, heavy drinking macho chest beating.

To me, that doesn't sum up Rock n Roll - it sums up everything that went *wrong* with Rock n Roll and was cleansed by Cobain and all that came after.

But hey - we all like different things. :-)
    Let us not forget this shit though, in case anyone tries to repeat it:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom