62 AVRI Stratocaster - Skinny Frets - AAaaaarggghhhh

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited March 2017
    jeztone2 said:
    I agree choice is good. But then your stifling choice by not offering an option of bigger frets. I guess it's marketing. But it annoys me.

I'd love a Clapton Strat, but not with those tiny frets. The only guitars Fender make that are non CS with a vintage neck & beefy frets are the Kotzen's. I'm suprised fretwire size isn't more of a purchase critical issue.
      The EC Strat is obviously what EC likes though.  SOme people do like that.

I think there is a deliberate policy of not offering that big fret combination on a vintage neck to try and make people spend CS money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    jeztone2 said:
    I agree choice is good. But then your stifling choice by not offering an option of bigger frets. I guess it's marketing. But it annoys me.

I'd love a Clapton Strat, but not with those tiny frets. The only guitars Fender make that are non CS with a vintage neck & beefy frets are the Kotzen's. I'm suprised fretwire size isn't more of a purchase critical issue.

I think there is a deliberate policy of not offering that big fret combination on a vintage neck to try and make people spend CS money.
    I'd tend to agree with you that they need to keep a good differential between AVRI and C/Shop models - obviously the C/Shop is geared up for various options as required - An AVRI is only about colour options - Some might look at it as the C/Shop is an upgrade on regular production models - Others will look at it as the C/Shop represents the pinnacle of Fender models and everything else down the line is then built according to a price point

EC does appear to be one of a small number of players who still favours the small fret approach - idiosyncratic nature of a signature model, that you effectively buy what they like
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Trade it for a G&L Legacy as they're more or less the same price and you'll get your Leo Fender fix. You could try for a Musicman Silhouette if you like small necks.

I had an AVRI '57 Strat Reissue and an AVRI '62 Tele Reissue...They were a nightmare so I went straight back to G&L.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7504
    The (discontinued) AVRI '62 Hot Rod model fixed this with meatier frets (and neck) - I love mine 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    TimmyO said:
    The (discontinued) AVRI '62 Hot Rod model fixed this with meatier frets (and neck) - I love mine 
    The one guitar I regret not buying is the American Deluxe 62 FSR they did in 2005. It was basically an American Deluxe with a 62 neck profile, medium jumbo frets & a vintage style bridge. 

Ive tried to make my Kotzen like a 57 Hot Rod by adding a DiMarzio Tone Zone to the bridge.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7537/30347933056_c7e0c02f77_z.jpg
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I quite like the combination of 7.25in radius and standard Fender frets.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    crunchman said:
    jeztone2 said:

Don't the Classic Player instruments have big frets on vintage style (as opposed to vintage radius) necks?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    HAL9000 said:
    crunchman said:
    jeztone2 said:

Don't the Classic Player instruments have big frets on vintage style (as opposed to vintage radius) necks?
    Not sure.  I'm pretty sure there isn't a US option though.  The Mexican stuff isn't really going to eat into CS sales.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I quite like vintage frets. I prefer them to massive ones.
  • gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
    edited May 2017
    Schnozz said:
    Trade it for a G&L Legacy as they're more or less the same price and you'll get your Leo Fender fix. You could try for a Musicman Silhouette if you like small necks.

I had an AVRI '57 Strat Reissue and an AVRI '62 Tele Reissue...They were a nightmare so I went straight back to G&L.

I've had a '57 AVRI Strat for about 10 years, now. I love it. There's no doubt that the neck and fingerboard require an adjustment in technique (and saddle height on the high E for bending) if you're used to medium and jumbo frets (I've played an LP for decades), but when you get it down the guitar plays beautifully.

Funny you'd mention G&L and the Silo. My ASAT Classic (which I set the action a little high on) and Silhouette Special (action set to factory specs) are great guitars.

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    +1

Fender vintage spec re-issues are fine, provided that you are prepared to work that bit harder. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.