Trying to Explain Relicing

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Trying to explain relicing to a non-believer is like trying to explain Monopoly to Deep Blue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i feel like masking one for fun, il pick up a cheap squier or similar and let rip,  i wouldnt pay good money for one though
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I was in the Gear4Music showroom in York (which is a magnificent warehouse of gear with shite service by the way) and my partner pointed out a "second hand" Road Worn Telecaster. I explained that it was actually new and designed that way to mimic an old one. She understood, said it was stupid and we moved on.

(She also said a three-barrel tele bridge looks like there is a part missing from it, which I cannot disagree with)
    Never take em in the shops! They then know when u say " it only cost £125" they come back and say  "  thats a masterbuilt custom shop fender stratocaster 1960 reissue rrp £3400 " 

rookie error! :) 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14295
    tFB Trader
    usedtobe said:
    Image result for martin keownImage result for carlos tevez
    I don't get it..
    okay it did not work - just a couple of ugly scar faced examples - not a dig at the clubs just the players
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've had 2 relic CS Strats, still own one, a heavy relic. For me it's about how they feel more than how they look plus the already worn in vibe accelerates the settling in period you go through will a new guitar and you can get straight to comfortable to leave it leaning against the amp and just play without having kittens every 5 minutes.

The feel of the worn relic'd neck is great and I don't feel the need to reach for the polishing cloth after play like I do with the shiny finished new guitars.

You should still reach for that polishing cloth if only to wipe down the strings after a sweaty session.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Nothing beats a proper aged vintage...

No matter how good the relic..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nothing beats a proper aged vintage...

No matter how good the relic..
    Absolutely.

However, I do MUCH prefer an aged guitar to a new one and by aged I don't mean the belt sander approach favoured by the majority of builders in the Fender Custom Shop.

The 'relic' thing is nothing more than a finish option. Which can be inspiring to some players. It is to me.

I was talking to my father in law yesterday (who has no background in guitars/music at all) and showing him some junior builds I currently have in the works and he asked about the 'metal bits' so I showed him some aged hardware I had and he literally fell about laughing, he could not believe that I could buy the hardware 'pre-rusted'....he left shaking his head and chuckling... :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Thanks guys.

Like I said in the beginning I wasn't looking for justifications, or pros and cons (been done to death I guess), I was looking for reactions of friends and work mates who as non guitar players come across this unique dilemma!

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited March 2017

(Deleted - posted in the wrong thread.  Again, enjoy your relics guys.)

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I'd sooner have a relic than suffer that heart sinking moment when you twat a 2 grand quilty PRS against the corner of a 4x12
    Give me time my man.....

if my Ten Top take offence to my 4x12 I'm going to leave it to them to settle it like adults, like pissed adults at a wedding. 

There have been a few close calls, but it's gonna kick off sooner or later, and I predict a life long resentment and feud. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Ravenous said:

I prefer to get 'em from the nearest music shop (in the next town) - typically 7 quid a set though.

When I need something specific they won't have (for example I got some flatwounds recently) then I go to one of the internet places.

This feels like a thread I just read.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Ravenous said:

I prefer to get 'em from the nearest music shop (in the next town) - typically 7 quid a set though.

When I need something specific they won't have (for example I got some flatwounds recently) then I go to one of the internet places.

This feels like a thread I just read.......

You are right. I posted on the wrong thread. I am a moron :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom