I`ve just mown the lawn

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Until about 14:00 I had a Qualcast...  Sadly the motor bearings appear to have become rather too intimate with each other, in such a manner as they are now inseparable and passing smokey messages to the surroundings in celebration of teh union.

A new motor is north of a ton while a new machine is south.

I also pulled about a cubic foot of dried grass from the body of the machine, which, as it's not user accessible, suggests this is really a designed obsolescence feature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We use a push one - as in, not powered, you just push it and it cuts the grass. Works fine. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    We use a push one - as in, not powered, you just push it and it cuts the grass. Works fine. 
    I'd go for that but our garden is in excess of 6000 sq feet.....
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

Iamnobody said:
    We have a Mountfied Empress electric mower but it's a substantial piece of kit with a metal deck like a petrol model.

Its probably 20 year plus in terms of age. We bought it used for peanuts two years ago and it's been abused keeping on top of our garden regularly. But it still goes - I know I would have killed a modern one by now...

I used it for the first cut of 2017 yesterday and it was faultless as usual.

So unless somethings changed like they are thrown together with generic parts these days, I'd throw Mountfield into the ring as a contender.

Back to the OP - congrats, as a year round allergy sufferer to various known and unknown triggers, I can imagine what a relief it must be for someone with such a severe problem.
    Yeah - Mountfield is looking good.  Not sure whether to spend £180 on the basic one and then use it and abuse it until it needs replacing in a few years. Or £350 on the one with a Honda engine and care for it properly by having it serviced regularly and hope that it lasts longer than a few years....
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24345
    I picked up an old Hayter the year before last with a B&S engine that smoked like hell.  It's got carb problems - I replaced the diaphragm and assembled it the correct way (it had been put together wrongly) but something is still up with it.  I also got another one with a B&S motor, slightly newer, and that was working fine until mid-summer when the motor started making clanking noises, so that'll need a strip-down.  Right now, all I have is the electric which does the job, slowly.

Sod going out to the garden to pick up dog shit every day in the winter..  trying to find it in the dark and the rain.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I have a Honda powered Mountfield SP425 petrol mower.
    I'd never go back to an electric mower.

I'm in the middle of my yearly lawn prep- about a month ago I threw down some lawn sand to kill off the moss.
    This week I am scarifying the lawn and then reseeding some parts of it.
  • RobDavies said:
    We use a push one - as in, not powered, you just push it and it cuts the grass. Works fine. 
    I'd go for that but our garden is in excess of 6000 sq feet.....

I didn't realise you were a farmer! 

:D 

Seriously though, if you were brave or daft enough to try that with a non powered push one, you'd emerge from it looking like Terry Crews. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15515

we're hi tech here for grass cutting, I use a scythe. Never breaks down, and the only fuel it requires is a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    We trimmed some trees today:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3325
    hurrah!
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I treated our lawns three weeks ago with moss killer & grass feed, they look dreadful at present as the moss has turned black. It'll be a good few weeks before it looks green again.