Short rant

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    It's something like this:

Musicians' Triangle.

Rules:
    1. Everyone is inside the triangle somewhere.
    2. It doesn't matter where, as long as you're happy.

R.
    I'm well inside there then ;)
    I'm somewhere to the west; should probably push to be more southwest. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I depped for a wedding band once. I learnt two things, one people are really disorganised, two some really good excuses never to do it again. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    The late great Tommy Tedesco had the saying along the lines of

A gig should have three things
    Fun
    Contacts
    Money

Any two and it's a go, otherwise don't do it.

I'm both pleased that others feel some affinity with my situation, but disturbed that it continues to be an issue in out industry.

I'm so old and experienced that I do know better and gave up much of this kind of gigging 5 years ago, had allowed someone else to get the gig (we don't do many and the other band members are less experienced and keen to be rock stars). One of the things I'd happily thought I'd do again was organising the band, that meant more me time and leaving someone else to do the sheep herding. But it's becoming obvious that my skill and PA system are very desirable but no one wants to pay for them or are aware of the considerable effort they require.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Question: Who is the most important person at a Wedding gig?

Hint: They're probably not anything to do with the band.
    Oooohh! I know the answer to this one, it's whoever's signing the cheques!

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    I think it's worth always quoting  a high price for weddings. Ask for £1000 ... if you get it then happy days ... you don't mind grafting all day and night  for £200 each. If they don't wanna pay that kind of dough then they are probably not going to be that appreciative of live music anyway. 

That's one thing I've learnt in 20 years of doing weddings .... go in cheap and you will be treated as cheap and given endless hassle. Go in expensive and all of a sudden your important. When your something the couple has had to save up for they will see you as the major event of the reception and not some unimportant background noise like the piped music over dinner
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Danny1969 said:
    I think it's worth always quoting  a high price for weddings. Ask for £1000 ... if you get it then happy days ... you don't mind grafting all day and night  for £200 each. If they don't wanna pay that kind of dough then they are probably not going to be that appreciative of live music anyway. 

That's one thing I've learnt in 20 years of doing weddings .... go in cheap and you will be treated as cheap and given endless hassle. Go in expensive and all of a sudden your important. When your something the couple has had to save up for they will see you as the major event of the reception and not some unimportant background noise like the piped music over dinner
    Absolutely agree. Perception is everything :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    We turned up at a golf club for a function a few years ago, and loading the gear either consisted of a ridiculously steep and frankly dangerous fire escape or a rickety service lift that looked like it wouldn't take the weight of flight cases. To top it off our female singer was told, when helping unload said lift from within the bar, that women were not allowed in the bar! I'm glad to say she ignored them on that point (they can go fuck themselves was her eloquent response).
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Danny1969 said:

Everyone charges for weddings and so should you. The Lady of the day (or her mother) will manipulate everyone to their satisfaction (forget planned timetable) So it will happen and you will have priced accordingly.

Not only weddings but Charridee events too. I go in with a full price quote for a corporate to start the negotiations and list the extra costs like stairs, background music etc.. They usually scoff because musicians work for free in the telly....Are you paying the bar staff I ask? Are you paying the tent/room hire? Are you Paying for the balloons/flowers? Are you paying for the Generator? Then why do you expect me to work for free. Now Having extablished the worth of the band, they (the band) can choose how much to donate back to the cause, which might be £20, £50 or all the fee each, but the value is established and you will be looked after and likely fed as well as the 'guests' albeit in a side room.

If you are providing a service, charge service prices, if you are having fun subjecting your tunes of people for kicks, expect to be abused one way or another.

Getting old sucks, but ya gotta get wise with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom