Steven Slate Plugins

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Danny1969;1032775" said:
    digitalscream said:

Danny1969 said:

I love the Slate Trigger plugin, it is without doubt the best drum replacement , supplement plugin out there. The iLok thing isn't a big deal, you have to have an iLok to run Protools and loads of other plugs so Slate needing it isn't a big deal. I lIke the fact iLok enables you to use your plugins on other machines as well as in a live enviroment 

I know this is a constant source of surprise to you, but not everybody uses Pro Tools ;)

They do in the Pro recording world, that and Logic ....  mainly Tools though,  at least in my experience. There's plenty of good plugs need an iLok anyway so taking a stance against it will reduce what you can use ultimately :)
    As someone who has direct statistics of what DAW's people use in the pro recording world, I can honestly say you're wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

I love the Slate Trigger plugin, it is without doubt the best drum replacement , supplement plugin out there. The iLok thing isn't a big deal, you have to have an iLok to run Protools and loads of other plugs so Slate needing it isn't a big deal. I lIke the fact iLok enables you to use your plugins on other machines as well as in a live enviroment 
    I know this is a constant source of surprise to you, but not everybody uses Pro Tools ;)
    They do in the Pro recording world, that and Logic ....  mainly Tools though,  at least in my experience. There's plenty of good plugs need an iLok anyway so taking a stance against it will reduce what you can use ultimately :)
    #1 - See the above post from Drew.
    #2 - Read my post again. While I object to iLok on a fundamental level, the problem is that by using it, they have prevented me from using it and any plugins which require it.

Thankfully, there are far more good plugins which don't use it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454

Drew : I can only speak from my experience but having edited \ mixed sessions recorded in a variety of professional studios including stuff from Abbey Road, Muscle Shoals, the BBC it was all Protools HD sessions, nothing ever came in on Cubase or Reaper. A couple of outside producers used Logic and their own pres in a rack but for the most part it was all Protools, love it or loath it. 

Maybe I'm out of touch then, what is the most widely used DAW in the pro (as in earning, paying business rates rather than bedroom \ shed studio ) world ?

@digitalscream Drumagog used to run with no iLok , that was the choice back in the day before Slate Trigger came out I used it all the time for replacing drum hits 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    My understanding, which might be bollocks, is that for a long time Pro Tools was the obvious choice because despite a high cost of entry (which some might have argued was a *plus* given that it helped differentiate a pro operation from a bedroom studio) they had the best support, integrated hardware converters etc, but that in the last several years the market has opened out a lot more. People who couldn't afford a PT system 10 years ago grew up with Logic, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar and are happy in those environments - especially as they have matured into fully featured DAWs in their own right.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22251
    Danny1969 said:
    Maybe I'm out of touch then, what is the most widely used DAW in the pro (as in earning, paying business rates rather than bedroom \ shed studio ) world ?

Around Bristol there are more studios running Logic on its own than Pro Tools on its own. Most of the new small studios don't use Pro Tools. A couple of older more experienced chaps who work from home mostly run both Logic and Pro Tools. Geoff Barrow's studio runs Radar.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    It used to be that pro mixers need to know how to use Pro Tools.
    It has changed a bit in recent years- people are annoyed by Avid and they have given up market share to Logic/Cubase/Nuendo etc.
    Also native systems are just as powerful, albeit not streamlined if recording acoustic drums.

Logic in my favourite DAW but I still have to keep a copy of PT around.
    I only use it if I absolutely have to (i.e. in a collaboration with people using it).
    Danny1969 said:

Drew : I can only speak from my experience but having edited \ mixed sessions recorded in a variety of professional studios including stuff from Abbey Road, Muscle Shoals, the BBC it was all Protools HD sessions, nothing ever came in on Cubase or Reaper. A couple of outside producers used Logic and their own pres in a rack but for the most part it was all Protools, love it or loath it. 

@digitalscream Drumagog used to run with no iLok , that was the choice back in the day before Slate Trigger came out I used it all the time for replacing drum hits 

You'd be surprised, but there are more pro's using Reason than Pro Tools these days. So many people have jumped ship because Avid stock is in the toilet and I wouldn't be surprised if they sold Pro Tools in the next few years.

You're right in that a helluva lot of pro studios DO use Pro Tools. But there just aren't that many studios around these days. The definition of 'professional' really has shifted over the last 10 years.

I'd also say more people are using Ableton Live than Pro Tools these days too.
    Cirrus said:
    My understanding, which might be bollocks, is that for a long time Pro Tools was the obvious choice because despite a high cost of entry (which some might have argued was a *plus* given that it helped differentiate a pro operation from a bedroom studio) they had the best support, integrated hardware converters etc, but that in the last several years the market has opened out a lot more. People who couldn't afford a PT system 10 years ago grew up with Logic, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar and are happy in those environments - especially as they have matured into fully featured DAWs in their own right.
    It's really that for the longest time PT was the only choice if you wanted to work in an analog desk type of workflow whilst benefiting from digital - VCA faders, busses, that kind of thing.
    Oh, and I don't mind iLok.

And I use all the Slate plugins too.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Around Bristol there are more studios running Logic on its own than Pro Tools on its own. Most of the new small studios don't use Pro Tools. A couple of older more experienced chaps who work from home mostly run both Logic and Pro Tools. Geoff Barrow's studio runs Radar.

A bit off topic, but there was a good article on Toybox Studio in the latest Tape Op.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    digitalscream;1032436" said:
    They seem good...but I refuse to encourage the iLok bullshit, so they don't get my money.
    THIS. I look doesn't prevent piracy it just makes it harder for the genuine user. Refuse to use them.

What I have heard of the slate plugi though they do sound very good.

I don't get the iLok hate tbh. It's the easiest copy protection system going. Easier than any challenge response techniques that companies use.
  • I don't mind ilok.  However I remember there was an incident a while back where an update caused absolute chaos.

This is why I search/read Gearslutz before I update anything.  If there are problems with updates there will be threads there.  I guess same goes for KVR but I don't read that one.
  • Use them all, they're great, but I hate taking my laptop out and sitting down to edit stuff and realising I've forgotten my fucking hub full of iLoks
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2188
    An iLok takes up oooooooohhhh ONE USB port. I don't get the hate for it, I really don't. I use a Mac and my iLok sits happily in the left hand side USB port on my keyboard. The license manager software is fine and unobtrusive. Yeah. It's a PITA if you can't get the cracked shit you want (sic), but I have not found it to be, or cause, a single issue in the last few years.
    Being against it is pointless if it means you can't use the plugins you want. Why fight it??!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    Nerine said:
    An iLok takes up oooooooohhhh ONE USB port. I don't get the hate for it, I really don't. I use a Mac and my iLok sits happily in the left hand side USB port on my keyboard. The license manager software is fine and unobtrusive. Yeah. It's a PITA if you can't get the cracked shit you want (sic), but I have not found it to be, or cause, a single issue in the last few years.
    Being against it is pointless if it means you can't use the plugins you want. Why fight it??!
    Well, there's about 90,000 reasons here :D

For a less glib answer...it's just another way to inconvenience actual paying users, while the ones who don't want to pay can get around it anyway. Example - I rebuilt my studio machine for various reasons when Pro Tools First came out, I actually considered going with it instead of Reaper - the subscription model seemed attractive, despite the ridiculous restrictions. At the time, I didn't really have anything I could use for modelling, so I went off to get the Eleven RTAS Plugin too. I was perfectly willing to pay the ridiculous price for it, until I discovered that both it and PT First required an iLok (which I don't have). It was the Thursday before a bank holiday weekend which I was going to spend learning how to use it all, so...if I wanted it, I'd have had to wait until the following Wednesday to get going. That's nearly a fucking week to be able to use downloadable software.

Nope. So I installed Reaper and was instantly up and running again.

As for the "one USB port" thing - that's fine, until that means one more USB port htan you have. Most thin/light laptops these days have two USB ports (one USB 2.0, one USB 3.0). In a mobile recording situation, you'd use one for your mouse (probably the USB 3.0, since 3.0 chipsets can have trouble with audio hardware) and one for your audio interface.

There are far more seamless ways of copy-protecting software these days; iLok is a throwback to a decade or two ago. It needs to be gone.
    <space for hire>