Chilcot outcome predictions.

What's Hot

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    I don't know what to expect. But I'm not entirely convinced of Chilcot's credentials, since he's quoted as saying "careful analysis needed before war" yesterday.

I'd have thought that was pretty obvious. Even Blair didn't wake up one day and think, sod it we'll go to war in Iraq.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
    The fact that the ICC can't do anything to Blair doesn't stop the CPS or Parliament itself starting action against him.

CPS won't, but I imagine that someone in Parliament will try and will fail.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Blair is no fool, never has been. I'm not a particular fan of his, but I find it hard to believe that he took us to war on anything other than his genuine conviction it was the right thing to do.

That's the crux for me - his personal beliefs on the matter. He's also a big god squadder, so inherently his judgement is flawed.

Whilst it may have been the wrong thing to do, I think he THOUGHT it was the right thing. I don't reckon he had any doubts in his own mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Fuck all of any consequence will happen. There'll be a few slapped wrists, some outraged/hand-wringing newspaper columns, rounds of TV interviews talking shite, an explosion on twatter and Fuckbook plus some predictable memes. But all those people will still be dead, the region remains a colossal clusterfuck and Teflon fucking Tony will walk away grinning like a cunt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited July 2016
    Chilcot will say there were big procedural screw ups and offer some recommendations for fixing them which will be kicked into the long grass a la Leveson.

It will be revealed that Blair's chief error was hoping to steer the inevitable American invasion into a slightly less unilateral course, then getting caught up in the logic of that and up feeling obliged to go to war on a totally bogus platform rather than let Bush down.

Nothing much will happen to Blair because he has not much reputation left to be shredded anyway, but Jeremy Corbyn will be slightly shored up and have a better chance of leading the Labour Party to a massive general election defeat.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Snap said:
    Blair is no fool, never has been. I'm not a particular fan of his, but I find it hard to believe that he took us to war on anything other than his genuine conviction it was the right thing to do.

That's the crux for me - his personal beliefs on the matter. He's also a big god squadder, so inherently his judgement is flawed.

Whilst it may have been the wrong thing to do, I think he THOUGHT it was the right thing. I don't reckon he had any doubts in his own mind.

Im with you on that. He may have been weak minded enough to be influenced by Bush to some degree, but I do think that he believed he was doing the right thing.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12989
    I'd like to revise my earlier prediction as it was laughably wrong.

Rather than waiting till lunchtime everyone has clearly read, understood, and digested it before it was even released.

Chilcot could have saved a lot of effort just by releasing a single page that said "your interpretation here" because that's what's going to happen anyway.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Initial feelings seem to be that the inquiry report is more damning, at least in its wording and tone - than was generally expected.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Now He has nothing to do we should put Chilcot in charge of the Brexit negotiations. That should delay things for a decade or two.
    Corbin is a bit like a broken watch, even thats right twice a day!

Anyone ordered a copy yet?

Only £767 + delivery...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Snap said:

You're correct in saying that Blair honestly believed that he was in the vanguard of a crusade to do right. That doesn't absolve him of being a fool though, rather it makes implicit that he is one. Anyone who puts their beliefs above reason and the law is a fool and a dangerous one at that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I know one thing that will definitely happen: This thread will go on, and on, and on, and on!

Only £767 + delivery...
    one can download the report for free
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

octatonic said:
    Will we see Tony in the Haig?
    William Haig?

Eeww, please take that image away.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785

Only £767 + delivery...
    At 2million words I'd imagine deliver will cost quite a lot too  ;))
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    After years of research and interviews, rewrites and a report with millions of words old bloke says "please check your facts before going to war" .. Sir Humphrey would be proud.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72860
    The decision to go to war is outside of the remit of the ICC.
    I thought 'planning and waging a war of aggression' was covered? That's one of the charges that the surviving Nazis at Nuremburg faced.

Just asking, you're the professional :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The decision to go to war is outside of the remit of the ICC.
    I thought 'planning and waging a war of aggression' was covered? That's one of the charges that the surviving Nazis at Nuremburg faced.

Just asking, you're the professional :).
    I just pinched a quote from a QC on Twitter!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72860
    Spotted this one…

Basically the Iraq War was a massive gamble by Bush and Blair to remodel the Middle East, which failed spectacularly."

Not quite - 'failed' isn't the right word... 'backfired' is. They *succeeded* in remodelling the Middle East - the problem is that they created a nightmare beyond anyone's imagination at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein