New build - inspired by Bailey's Guitar course

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezV said:

I suggest you take a step back, practice on some scrap, and figure out how to hold things better before continuing.

This build has actually taken place over a few weeks - with business trips in between - but I decided to compress the build thread into a shorter time.

At this stage in the build I had a trip to Scotland, and managed to visit Mark for a design session. He then gave me a router tutorial - at the end of which he put a body blank on the bench and invited me to do the initial rout for the pickups. Given my track record with a router I thought this was brave of him, but the result was good. And now I'm back home I'm practising on scrap.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Ouch!!!!! that fretboard shot!!!! I'd have had a cardiac arrest if that happened to me!

Respect for posting the picture, I wouldn't have!
      If posting my mistakes helps other first time builders avoid them - it's not all in vain!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    axisus said:
    Ouch!!!!! that fretboard shot!!!! I'd have had a cardiac arrest if that happened to me!

If posting my mistakes helps other first time builders avoid them - it's not all in vain!
    Wisdom for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1870
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

Wisdom for that.

And respect too.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1702
    edited August 2016

• Now the bad news. If you are squeamish, look away now. I tried to be clever and save some time by profiling the side of the neck with the router, using the finderboard as a template. It didn't work out as planned. Another set of materials for the neck is now on order.

That looks strange... I did it many times using both ball bearing bit and short blades bit.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29037
    It's a bit like those microtonal frets but orthogonal.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was a break of 10 days in the build process since my last post, during which time the wood for my replacement neck arrived. I built the new neck very carefully, and the result seemed quite good. I left the neck quite thick, planning to reshape it if neccessary after I'd played it for a while. The front dots were easy, but the 2mm side dots were too dainty for my large fingers, so I've ordered 2mm plastic rods which look to be easier to install.

After half a dozen coats of Tru Oil the body is looking good.

• That's looking really good.  Shame about the first neck - you could cut it down narrower and make something with four or five strings though, rather than it becoming firewood.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    That's looking really good.  Shame about the first neck - you could cut it down narrower and make something with four or five strings though, rather than it becoming firewood.

Nah - hang it on the wall as a reminder not to do it again ;)

I did actually do this with a neck after carving through to the truss rod

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    That's looking really good.  Shame about the first neck - you could cut it down narrower and make something with four or five strings though, rather than it becoming firewood.

Nah - hang it on the wall as a reminder not to do it again ;)

I did actually do this with a neck after carving through to the truss rod

Yes, I plan to mount it on the wall - but first I'll use it to practice installing side dots before trying it on the real neck.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited August 2016
    Side Dots.

I find it best to carefully draw a line along the length of the Fretboard, where you want the Dots relative to the edge of the Fretboard, and then to draw across this line to mark the Dot positions. Then use a sharp punch before drilling.

I find inserting Side Dots can be a real pain. If you start to push them in at a slight angle, then they won't go in. You can almost guarantee as you insert more and more of the Dots, that you'll get a bit of glue on your fingers, and you'll pull out the Dot, that you've just put it because it's stuck to your finger. Sometimes an air bubble will get trapped under a Dot and it'll pop out on it's own. Fortunately they all go in eventually!!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29037
    I much prefer rod/tube to dots.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    It's Gold Mother Of Pearl for me, so it don't come in rods.
  • After a few more coats of Tru Oil it was time to build a guitar.

I initially installed a Freeway 6 way switch, but was disappointed in the range of tones offered, so re-wired it with two mini-switches. One selects coil splitting, while the other selects north or south coil (if only one pickup selected) or in/out of phase with the pickup selector in the middle position. Wiring diagram was thanks to GuitarElectronics.com. The pickups are Iron Gear Blues Engine, which sound great without costing the earth.

After a few weeks of trials, tribulations and lots and lots and lots of sanding, the guitar was finally finished (except for the side dots).

I'm pleased with the wooden pickups rings that cover the poorly routed pickup cavities. Although I thought that the neck was far too think, after I played the guitar at band practice I didn't notice the neck by the end of the session. I also need to re-oil the neck joint as there was a last minute adjustment to get neck the angle right.

If you want to make the transition from building kit guitars to building guitars from blocks of wood I can recommend the Bailey course (even better, if you have the time - do the course at his studio). Now, what will I do next....?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8836
    Looks good. I like the body chamfering, and of course the wood grain.

How about starting a Review thread for the Freeway switch. I like the theory, but it look a little sensitive for live use.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    How about starting a Review thread for the Freeway switch. I like the theory, but it look a little sensitive for live use.
    Don't think I can add much more than my initial comment - that I was disappointed with the range of additional tones. Perhaps this is a personal thing and it would work better for others.

I like a single coil neck pickup for blues solos, humbucker bridge for rythym, and the ability to have in/out of phase for both pickups is a bonus. I do like the tones you get from Jimmy Page wiring, but I can never remember which push/pull to use for what! The final wiring on this guitar gives me the options I like, and it's clear which switch does what.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    The end guitar is fantastic John, well done! The grain of the wood has come up a treat and I really like the way the fret markers move from the bass side to the treble (I've not seen that before)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.