Dream theatre

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
edited February 2014 in Music

Ok, deciced to get a couple of DT albums with the cash I got for Chrimbo.

Where do I start?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Big fan here, I have all their CDs (not sure if the new one is out yet??) Personally I think Images and Words has never been bettered, very melodic, they went more metal after that. The next was Awake, similar vein but heavier. Scenes from a Memory is a must have. Those would be my top 3, but I also have a soft spot for the (much heavier) Train of Thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Images and Words, definitely. I still remember the first time I heard Pull Me Under - totally knocked out by it.
    <space for hire>
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2013
    The old stuff is pretty different to the new stuff (and mostly better).

Images and Words is brilliant, but for me the best is Awake, from 1994. Absolutely stunning, and from before James Labrie fucked his voice up so the singing is absolutely top-notch. The next album, Falling Into Infinity from 1997, gets a lot of stick but is also really good.

The best of the new stuff is 2003's much heavier Train of Thought, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings from 2009, which is superb.

If I had to narrow it down to two though, to start off with I'd say Images and Words and Awake.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013
    Considering what you are in to I would agree that Images And Words & Awake (my personal favourite) would be the two I would start with. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    Awake and octavarium. Awake was not so well received after images but it's got a lot more staying power, and voices is the best song they've done.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2013
    Actually it's like this:

When dream and day unite: dominici on vocals. Was pretty brilliant in its day but didn't yet have that orchestral full DT quality. Was my first DT album but not recommended for first purchase.

Images and words: first album with labrie but didn't yet have jordan on keys. young, full of vim and vigour and verve, joyful prog rock. Pull me under is great. Stunning album.

Awake: darker, incredibly long and packed, started playing with changing time signatures. Voices is a classic. Stunning album. Live in Tokyo DVD also - wonderful.

Falling into infinity: they were under pressure after the relative lack of success of awake to go more commercial. This is an in-between sort of album. A bit lack lustre but some good songs on it.

Metropolis / scenes from a memory: their first concept album. Great, and the live dvd is even better. But very samey production sound throughout so you can tire of it. I think it's the most dated apart from the dream and day unite album. .

Six degrees: has a 45 min song on CD2, which is sick, wet, wicked and bad, all at the same time.

Train of thought: their darkest, most metal album. Absolutely awesome and the drumming is sublime. Really well mixed and heavy. Live at budokan dvd is amazing.

Octavarium: very awesome. Get it. XX score Live DVD also amazing, and has the 45 minute song from 6 degrees.

Systematic chaos - i never really warmed to.
    Black clouds - I never really warmed to
    Dramatic turn - with mangini on drums - never really warmed to.
    Dream theater - haven't got it yet.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Thanks Guys.

@viz, thanks for the run down of the individual albums.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    viz said:
    Systematic chaos - i never really warmed to.
    Black clouds - I never really warmed to
    Dramatic turn - with mangini on drums - never really warmed to.
    Dream theater - haven't got it yet.
    Strangely enough, the same for me. I will have to buy the new one but I'm not sure I'll play it enough to get into it.

The six degrees 45 minute song is more "suppers ready" than "gates of delirium" eg I'd say it's more of a bunch of songs stitched together than a single composition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    I've never "got" Dream Theatre.

Based on this thread I'm going to give Images and Words and Awake a go.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I know you're after DT, but I'm a big prog fan and PLEASE use a bit of your money to buy Steven Wilsons new album "the raven that refused to sing". It's absolutely incredible. 

Just my 2c, with DT though definitely give Images and Words and Awake a go, they're great. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1488
    Scenes from a Memory was the first album of theirs I bought and it's still my favourite. Love everything about it. 

Images and Words and Six Degrees are a close second though. 

• I've never "got" Dream Theatre.

Based on this thread I'm going to give Images and Words and Awake a go.

I definitely think if you don't get or really dig DT, but kind of feel like you should (due to your other tastes) I think these two are the most accessible.

When I was at Uni I got a bit bored of DT being forced down my throat by a certain sector so I put up a wall of dismissing them.  Then Awake was on in a shop I worked and it just crawled in to my consciousness. 

Ok, just ordered a few.

Awake

XX score

Octavarium

Images and words

And the new one.

I'll get back with my thoughts when I've had a good listen to them.

Till then here's Peruvian Skies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h4m9q9WP-N4

• Panic Attack from Octavarium is nothing short of genius.
  • Panic Attack from Octavarium is nothing short of genius.

And it features John Myung who is a short genius.
    mike_l said:

Ok, just ordered a few.

Awake

XX score

Octavarium

Images and words

And the new one.

wow, hope you enjoy them!
    viz said:
    mike_l said:

Ok, just ordered a few.

Awake

XX score

Octavarium

Images and words

And the new one.

wow, hope you enjoy them!
    Cheers fella. I used a load of the points I had at Play as well as cash.............

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1488
    No scenes from a Memory? Mike - Y U NO LISTEN?! 
    joneve said:
    No scenes from a Memory? Mike - Y U NO LISTEN?! 

It was showing as back order when I placed the order.

I shall have a look again in the next couple of weeks, mostly as I still have about £10 worth of points to use............

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336