If the greats who died had lived...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Inspired by @Gassage's thread. I find this an interesting question.

For example, I highly doubt Hendrix would have stayed doing heavy blues-rock. I think in the mid to late 70s he'd have experimented with jazz fusion and would have probably had some coke-fuelled processed 80s pop hits too.

If Cliff Burton had lived, Metallica wouldn't be anywhere near as big but they might still be good.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31030
    If Koss had have lived he'd have become the greatest of all time, bar none.

Fact.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2016
    Gassage said:
    If Koss had have lived he'd have become the greatest of all time, bar none.

Fact.
    If Jason Becker hadn't been crippled by motor neurone disease he could well have become the greatest of all time, shredders-wise. His playing is enormously impressive no matter what you hear, but it's easy to forget that whatever you're listening to, he was my age or younger when he recorded it. It would have been incredible to hear him grow and develop even more as a player, but no. Bastard ALS.

He might also have discovered better amps and not had a tone that sounded like a wasp in a tin can. That's the only gripe I have with any of his recorded output. Same goes for Randy Rhoads, in fact. Another one who would have gone onto truly amazing things, I have no doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3082
    edited August 2016
    If Randy Rhoads didn't die he would've gone on to further his classical guitar. I doubt he would of continued through the 80's with Ozzy. 

Dimebag Darrell? I think he would've continued with Damageplan and there might have been a Pantera reunion by now. He might have slowed his drinking down too.

I'm sure Bon Scott would still be in AC/DC now. Would they have been as big as they are without Back In Black?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    SRV would have become the fourth BeeGee.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24862
    Roy Buchanan would have got even better than he was....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Stevepage said:
    If Randy Rhoads didn't die he would of gone on to further his classical guitar. I doubt he would of continued through the 80's with Ozzy. 

Dimebag Darrell? I think he would of continued with Damageplan and there might have been a Pantera reunion by now. He might have slowed his drinking down too.

I'm sure Bon Scott would still be in AC/DC now. Would they have been as big as they are without Back In Black?
    Randy wouldn't have stayed with Ozzy, I'm sure. I'd have been interested to see what his next move was to be though.

Agreed re. Dimebag, probably Bon Scott too.

I wondered about Danny Gatton and Shawn Lane, but I wonder if either of them would have done anything different or just continued down the paths they were on anyway. It's hard to imagine Shawn getting any better than he already was :D 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    Steve Marriott could have taken advantage of Weller's fawning and made some actual money. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5082
    Had Rhandy lived ge would have gone backnto college to study  and improve his classical playing. That said,  I'm not sure how lobg he would have lived. Someone recently claimed that he had just been diagnosed with emphysema.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Imagine if Paul MacCartney had lived until modern times. Or Keef. Or Clapton.

In reality, dead legends would probably have gone the way of living legends. Their new output would only be of interest to musos and fanboys while the greater populace still only thought of them for the stuff they did in their heyday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5082

In reality, dead legends would probably have gone the way of living legends. Their new output would only be of interest to musos and fanboys while the greater populace still only thought of them for the stuff they did in their heyday.

Hendrix's post-heroin comeback in 1983 would have been good in a shiny-suit-and-keetar sort of way. 
    On reflection, the late 90s album produced by Wyclef Jean was a mistake. 

The less said about his recent collaboration with Pitbull, the better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    edited August 2016
    Imagine how huge Shawn Lane would be by now?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jim Morrison would be trans.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:

For example, I highly doubt Hendrix would have stayed doing heavy blues-rock. I think in the mid to late 70s he'd have experimented with jazz fusion and would have probably had some coke-fuelled processed 80s pop hits too.

There was actually a collaboration with Miles planned.
    I do wonder if Hendrix could have stepped up to that challenge actually.
  • Rory Gallagher would have joined the Cheeky Girls.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    I think @CabbageCat nailed it for most. The survivors have mostly not repeated the flambouance of thier youth, apart from Bowie/Madonna few reinvent themselves (although Nile Rogers has done enough to stay current and relevent). Most styles come and go even if we individually like that phose of modern musical development.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    I reckon the majority would have followed the DG / Clapton career path of bright light slowly melting into a long decline. So few guitar players have been able to genuinely stay relevant for a long period. Music is too fickle for that. To be a true star, you gotta die young... that way the future catalog of crap gets avoided and all you output is from your heyday, mixed with what might have been, if only...

Exactly this:

• He's not dead yet (DVD also worth a watch) but I like to think Jason Becker could've been an awesome lead guitarist in some big name metal bands.  He'd have been awesome in Megadeth post Friedman for starters, could've been a choice for Ozzy etc... 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7845
    octatonic said:
    Imagine how huge Shawn Lane would be by now?
    Beat me to it. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7845
    Santana would be playing killer Latin bebop, wait... oh shit!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11490
    Would Rock n'Roll have gone in a different direction if Buddy Holly had lived?  Thinking about that crash, would Richie Valens have faded away like Chesney Hawkes or would he have gone on to be a megastar?

Don't think anyone has mentioned Duane Allman yet either, or Ronnie Van Zant.  The history of Southern Rock may have been very different.  Would they have done something spectacularly good, or become the Southern Rock equivalent of Clapton and McCartney?