Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Pickups - is it just me?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    dindude said:
    I've never felt the need to change any pickups in any of the Gibsons I've had, whereas I change pickups in almost all other guitars. One of the things Gisbon does rather well IMO. 
    I like their neck pickups. Always changed the bridge ones though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    What rating do the current circuit board pots have?
  • I've got a Gibson Dirty Finger in my Jagstang, it's a beast!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What rating do the current circuit board pots have?
    Aren't they supposed to be 500s.. I think I read it on the Gibson site, reading up on the 60s tribute Les Paul T, rather than the HP..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• A former LP Studio with BB Pros sounded incredible. I've got the same in my 2007 LP Standard also has them and it sounds great. My Midtown has BB1 and BB2s. No complaints. My biggest issue is the expense of switching without really knowing how much difference it will make. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    I'm no expert but I really like the sound of Gibson pickups I've owned: '57 Classics in my LP and a couple of guitars with their P90s. I've never owned them but from mucking about on a couple of guitars, the BB1/2 combo seems like a great one.

I honestly think that a lot of people just have an inherent bias against stock Gibson pickups and can't resist the urge to tinker with, sorry, "improve" their guitars.

Needless to say, it's a brave person that admits to shelling out hundreds of pounds/dollars etc. on said improvement, only to say "you know what, it sounds remarkably like what was in there before", so not many do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    I thought I wouldn't but I really like the burstbucker pro neck pickup in my studio. Clear and detailed with the right amount of gain and warmth. The bridge is a little bright/weak but would suite someone else. I'd like to try the 490/498 combo as I liked them in the tribute I tried. Am hopefully going to get to try a 498 with my bb pro for the best of both worlds soon. 
  • I've got a Gibson Dirty Finger in my Jagstang, it's a beast!
    Thats interesting!
    mines stock in my jagstang but i was thinking of a change.
    how does it sound?