Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FFS DMM OMG

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
edited September 2016 in FX
Tell you what really grinds my gears is when people say "my Big Box Deluxe Memory Man sounds [insert cliche here]".

As someone who's owned both big box and XO and read countless articles including Analog Man's take on the matter, I can't help but agree with him when he says that there's little difference between the two...I'd go as far as to say there's no difference and that's what he alludes to.

Just winds me up when the phrase "I love my Deluxe Memory Man" has to include the words "Big Box" to somewhat add some weight and kudos to the argument or the owner. 

Just my opinion, of course, but I've personally no regrets about letting go of my Big Box DMM and recently buying an XO. 

PS...don't tell anyone this, but the new XVive MN3005 chips are pretty good too! God for-fucking-bid.

Rant over, sorry chaps. Shouldn't wander over to TGP when I'm in these moods.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5296
    I have actually started to just play my guitar :)  gone for now the endless fretting (pun intended) over what microscopic tonal nuance i may or may not be missing....the pedal GAS nonsense is indeed absolute nonsense but we all fall for it most of the time..fucking mugs we are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    I want my 46 seconds back after reading that
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @mgaw I'm in a similar boat, mate. Scrutinizing tonal differences and crossovers between OD pedals is absolutely tiresome to the point of being pointless...it is! 

You've got the right idea, just playing guitar, you know!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • reading this article just reminded me how much I love the "organic" tone of my big box DMM
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    edited September 2016
    Most pro guitarists don't obsess over pedals and effects to the degree that most people here do.
    I know a couple of guys who have had the same amps and pedalboard for more than 10 years.
    They transcribe daily though.

I can see no rational argument to own 10 overdrives and only know how to play 2 songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Most pro guitarists don't obsess over pedals and effects to the degree that most people here do.
    I know a couple of guys who have had the same amps and pedalboard for more than 10 years.

I can see no rational argument to own 10 overdrives and only know how to play 2 songs.
    You might just wanna learn two songs and have killer tone.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    octatonic said:

It is all in the fingers. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell you what really grinds my gears is when people say "my Big Box Deluxe Memory Man sounds [insert cliche here]".

As someone who's owned both big box and XO and read countless articles including Analog Man's take on the matter, I can't help but agree with him when he says that there's little difference between the two...I'd go as far as to say there's no difference and that's what he alludes to.

Just winds me up when the phrase "I love my Deluxe Memory Man" has to include the words "Big Box" to somewhat add some weight and kudos to the argument or the owner. 

Just my opinion, of course, but I've personally no regrets about letting go of my Big Box DMM and recently buying an XO. 

PS...don't tell anyone this, but the new XVive MN3005 chips are pretty good too! God for-fucking-bid.

Agree. The stuff I've heard with the Xvive chips has been as good as anything with the Panasonic. 
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

It is all in the fingers. :)
    Stop flirting.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the big box because it's pretty and everyone knows that's what's most important. 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
    edited September 2016
    People who say that about the big box DMM sound like those people who "buy art" for their home because they've heard it's good (not because they like it) and just to impress their art-loving boss at the next dinner party.

If it sounds good and it works for you, all f***ing good.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    If it's not in a big box how are people to know you're a tone connoisseur and serious cork-sniffer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone knows a big box is always best
    How very rock and roll
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell you what really grinds my gears is when people say "my Big Box Deluxe Memory Man sounds [insert cliche here]".

I can't help but disagree with Analogman purely he got all snotty with me at HCFX for saying that the King of Tone was shit compared to the original BB Mk 1 :)

If you have no regrets, fair enough. The DMM isn't my favourite delay but I can say that I've owned 14 different big box DMMs, each one was different, there were some average ones and a couple that sounded on a different level. Where the big boxers do it for me is that the modulation sounds better than the XO. Straight up delay, there's little in it. 

• Big boxes have more echo than small boxes. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    Don't really understand this. I've had both and I thought the big box was better. I didn't want to think that because it takes up half my board and needs it's own power supply, which is fucking annoying.
  • Andy Timmons preferred his big boxes too.  
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    Talk about mudflaps my girls gottem
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    Big Box Deluxe Memory Man is ace. Nothing else sounds like it.

I have one.

Thats is all.