"Can I have a look at it tomorrow?"

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
Listed my bed on gumtree, got the response in the title after an exchange of emails. I took it to mean she literally just wanted to look at it, but she wanted to buy it on the spot and I wasn't quite prepared. Am I retarded and the impilcation that she would want to buy it is obvious?
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited October 2016
    I'd take it to mean they want to inspect it with a view to buying if they're happy with what they see. 

It allows them to say no if they're unhappy with it (rather than outright agreeing to buy before inspection).

But if they're happy with it I'd expect an offer to buy straight after they've taken a look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    When buying something second hand I would usually assume that having a look at it means also buying it if they like it,  
    I wouldn't be offended if someone checked it out and then went away to think but usually I would pay for it before someone else beat me to it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72792
    You are Tracey Emin and I claim my £5.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    edited October 2016
    holnrew said:
    I took it to mean she literally just wanted to look at it, but she wanted to buy it on the spot...
    As per @ICBM -- unless you're Tracey Em... actually even if you're Tracey Emmin why would I want to merely look at your bed?
    Of course she wanted to be able to buy it!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28889
    I would have assumed that a satisfactory inspection would lead to a purchase.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12026
    Is this a euphemism advert?
    "Listed my bed on gumtree"?

It's a way to making a living I guess, and I suppose it's fair she'd want to inspect the  merchandise before agreeing to pay
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I feel silly
    My V key is broken
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6789
    Did she not want to try it out with you?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2812
    Are you sure she was talking about the bed?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I mean she just wanted to see the frame and I'd taken the mattress off and whatnot, I just didn't check to see if I had the tools to deconstruct it and I had to go and buy some allen keys while she was here which was embarrassing. Also would she have expected it to be dismantled, or did I do the right thing leaving it intact?
    My V key is broken
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    holnrew said:
    I feel silly
    Don't feel silly for too long.  The opposite of silly is cool and people who are uber-cool go around wearing sunglasses indoors and they just look silly.  So it's all the same thing.
    Chalk it up as a "the time I put something on Gumtree and some bastard only wanted to buy it" type story.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @holnrew , maybe they're sex people.  They'll want to take the old chariot of love for a quick spin.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    She'd probably have moaned if you'd disassembled it beforehand. You cor win with Gumtree - usually you'd have taken it apart, ordered a new one and they'd have not turned up. Do not feel silly bloke.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Naughty lady! Turning up to your house to buy what you were selling!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2096
    holnrew said:
    I feel silly
    The is the correct feeling....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Don't worry about it, if it's now sold and that's what you wanted to happen, then great.

its easy to misinterpret what people mean. If the bed needed dismantling to get it out of your home then I wouldn't expect someone to take it there and then and I certainly wouldn't want to buy a bed in its component parts, how would you know if it's all there?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    holnrew said:
    I feel silly
    Did you tie her to the bed and give her a good porking ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    holnrew said:
    I mean she just wanted to see the frame and I'd taken the mattress off and whatnot, I just didn't check to see if I had the tools to deconstruct it and I had to go and buy some allen keys while she was here which was embarrassing. Also would she have expected it to be dismantled, or did I do the right thing leaving it intact?

I call "wind up".
  • paul_c2 said:
    holnrew said:
    I call "wind up".
    IIRC @holnrew has mild aspergers, so not a windup 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I call wind up too.