Oasis - D'You Know What I Mean... rethink!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
Yeah... an Oasis thread.. Don't all moan at once. 

Anyone seen this? They've remastered Be Here Now in an attempt to extract even more money from the old rope that was the biggest selling pile of shite in 1997.

Anyway, it's mostly still shee-ite, but one of the bonus discs includes a "rethink" of DYKWIM - basically a remix by Noel with the guitar wound down to only about 4 tracks per channel so you can actually hear the bass and drums and strings. It's rather good in a way that's completely opposed to  how the extra clarity in the remastered Definitely Maybe maybe missed the point a little.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    That's the only Oasis song I can stand, so will give it a try...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    The only song on that album worth listening to.

And just made 10,000 times better. Proof that Coke ruins creativity. Noel has been so much more interesting since giving up the powder and giving up on the Gobshite
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

ICBM said:
    That's the only Oasis song I can stand, so will give it a try…
    Nope. Strings are too loud and annoying, and the bass and drums are *nowhere near* heavy enough to do justice to it. Probably could do with more guitar too, not less.

I think I actually like the original version better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    That's the only Oasis song I can stand, so will give it a try…
    Nope. Strings are too loud and annoying, and the bass and drums are *nowhere near* heavy enough to do justice to it. Probably could do with more guitar too, not less.

I think I actually like the original version better.
    Disagree, but do maybe agree on the drums.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited October 2016
    Jesus .. what's that the Noel middle-aged mix .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Im no Oasis fan, but the original was meant to be a big bombastic powerful track, now it just sounds like it was remixed by Clannad
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited October 2016
    Reminds you how good Liam's voice was back in the day.

It also reminds me of a generally happy period in life - so I like it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reminds you how good Liam's voice was back in the day.

It also reminds me of a general happy period in life - so I like it...

yeah, listen to some '94 gigs and his voice is even more articulate, you do forget how powerful he was compared the charicature he turned into
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yep, much prefer the original. Probably the last great song Oasis released.
  • Half as long and with someone on the mix who can make a kick drum sound like a decent kick drum and not like a wet sock gently slapping a shoe box recorded half a mile away, and it would be ok.
    Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Much prefer the original.

New one sounds wimpy.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    edited October 2016
    Credit due to Noel Gallagher - with the new mix he's managed to make it sound even worse. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I much prefer the original to be honest, I think if it was not Liam singing the arrangement might work but the wooshy lighter mix just doesn't suit his voice.

I do really like oasis though, sometimes think the personalities are a bit distracting but the songs themselves are quite fun
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I never understood the Oasis hate.. Personally I think there great.. Noel is a great song writer, and the attitude between the brothers i just part of the band dynamics.

Not sure if I prefer this over the original or not..
    I think he's a terrible songwriter - lazy, clichéd and unoriginal even when he isn't overtly stealing - and arrogant with it too. He's been successful by peddling rip-offs that people almost know already.

It wouldn't surprise me if I quite like DYKWIM and can almost 'hear' a much heavier arrangement in my head because it's actually something I've heard before and can't put a finger on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • God it's just so dull. I loved Oasis when I was a kid but their music has not aged well at all, remix or not. As ICBM said, it's all just so cliched. And this song itself is almost like a mash up of their earlier melodies. At the time I much preferred Oasis to any other Britpop band but as the years pass I can still enjoy listening to Blur and Pulp but can't stand to listen to Oasis any more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I think he's a terrible songwriter - lazy, clichéd and unoriginal even when he isn't overtly stealing - and arrogant with it too. He's been successful by peddling rip-offs that people almost know already.

It wouldn't surprise me if I quite like DYKWIM and can almost 'hear' a much heavier arrangement in my head because it's actually something I've heard before and can't put a finger on.
    To be fair, it's basically "loud wonderwall", chordally at least. But it's less of an overt re-hash than most of the other tracks on BHN, which can be mapped almost directly to a previous Oasis song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Be Here Now came out on the same day as some of my GCSE results so it has memories for me.  There are some pretty good songs on that album to be honest with you mate.  I don't like this remix as I prefer the guitar heavier original.  Still a good guitar solo too.  
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:

Agree. 

Everytime I hear a new song by NG on the radio, his music seems to get worse and worse, to a laughably bad cliched and boring form.  He seems to be drunk on his own sense of self importance, when they stopped being relevant from that album onwards.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    I'm sure in their heart of hearts that both Liam and Noel know they swam the channel in terms of success. Noel isn't an 'original' - though you could probably view (say) Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty in a similar light. They all wear the influences  pretty obviously.

I think what made Oasis attractive, was that we were all in on the joke - we knew they were a bunch but of chancers - but could come up with an anthem like 'Slide Away'. In spite of nonesensical lyrics, shoddy playing, Liam's ridiculous vocal mannerisms - there was something genuinely life-affirming about the noise they made. And on occasion ('Half a World Away') - genuinely moving.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom