AA Gill is away

What's Hot
richhrichh Frets: 453
Permanently, at the age of 62.  2016 strikes again.

A controversial figure, perhaps in the same mould as Clarkson or even Basil Fawlty, but also very entertaining.  For those who don't know him, he's worth Googling.

A sad loss at an early age.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33838
    I saw this earlier.
    2016 has been a doozy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He co-wrote a piece with Clarkson for (IIRC) the Sunday Times magazine about 15 years ago about Cheshire.

It was spectacularly funny - a truly outstanding piece of writing.

I believe he was a life-long smoker - 62 is no age.... 
  • Great writer, I loved his TVs and restaurant reviews even if I had never seen the programme or was likely to visit the restaurant. He and his like are why journalism and critique need to be retained in the dumbed down world of the internet 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I was still living at home my father bought the Sunday Times every week and the AA Gill reviews were pretty much all I read. Lost track of him for a long time apart from the odd TV appearance but obviously a very talented writer. Much younger than I would have assumed as well, 62 isn't that far away for me. RIP.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3038
    edited December 2016
    Used to enjoy reading his mad tv reviews.  He was not a fan of us Welsh tho. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33838
    Who is though?
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Told you this year still had more to give.  My money's still on Brucie not making it all they way to the finish.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Shame. I enjoyed his newspaper stuff, although "The Angry Island" is a book which just seemed to be page after page of bitching.
  • Ioctatonic said:
    Who is though?
    They're crap at laminate flooring too ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    He was a vile bastard who shot a baboon just to try and experience what it would be like to kill a human.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/26/aa-gill-shot-baboon

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11972
    his vitriolic Agony uncle in Esquire was good, defintely the best  thing to read in it
    http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/advice/a4028/aa-gill-on-aesthetics/
  • A man of undoubted humour and writing ability. A good critic but never forget that you have to question the taste of any man who marries Amber Rudd. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Told you this year still had more to give.  My money's still on Brucie not making it all they way to the finish.
    Lets hope its not HM Elizabeth II, that would put a real downer on Christmas, though she has to go sometime I s'pose.
  • Stopped fags 15 years ago. Riddled with cancer. Good old cigarettes eh
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5033
    edited December 2016
    Shot a baboon for fun. He could be Jesus Christ but after that I'd still call him a cunt.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Baboons are bastards though
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Despite being a despicable human for shooting a baboon for fun, his piece on Brexit was brilliant:

http://spoot-shoot.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-aa-gill-argues-for-in.html?m=1

quote:

We listen to the Brexit lot talk about the trade deals they’re going to make with Europe after we leave, and the blithe insouciance that what they’re offering instead of EU membership is a divorce where you can still have sex with your ex.  Really, that’s their best offer? That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”

When the rest of us ask how that’s really going to work, leavers reply, with Terry-Thomas smirks, that “they’re going to still really fancy us, honest, they’re gagging for us. Possibly not Merkel, but the bosses of Mercedes and those French vintners and cheesemakers, they can’t get enough of old John Bull. Of course they’re going to want to go on making the free market with two backs after we’ve got the decree nisi. Makes sense, doesn’t it?”