Anyone tried a Boss Katana 50?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Anymore input from anyone on the K50?gigging etc?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    Hmmm...

Seriously tempted by one of these (probably the 100 for the extra channels/presets)  as a backup/alternative to my Blackstar 104 head & 2x12 cab setup. Theoretically it could substitute for both the big amp AND the pedalboard for gigs where space is tight, I need to travel light, or need to be in/out a bit quicker than usual...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    This thread is about the Katana 50,can everybody posting about the Katana100's please start a 100 thread,i keep getting excited when a new post is added & then deflated when it's about the 100 =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    Ah, sorry about that.  Didn't cop that.  100w options seem to be getting the bulk of the sales.

From what I am reading the K50 will keep up with a lighter drummer but really need 100w for a harder hitter/rocker.

K50 reduces the preset count and doesn't work with the footswitch (which appears to be well sorted).

Also, for anyone comparing the Katana and Blues Cube series, one of the main Boss guy posted on a forum that the Blues Cube is voiced more in line with a 6V6 tube amp whereas the Katana is more like an EL34.  The Blues Cube has a plywood case and discrete power amp whereas Katana in MDF and IC based power amp (cheaper)
  • Well my 50 is here and my god it sounds good with my Chibbo Les Paul!  The Strat still sounds decent but this thing LOVES humbuckers!
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Glad to hear it loves humbuckers, must the be the EL34 type voicing the Boss designers had chased (see my post above)
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 938
    edited January 2017
    Double post. See below!
  • Found an absolutely monster tone - clean channel gain almost full, volume full, master to taste and dab of Boost and delay. Good lord, it sounds HUGE!
    Found an absolutely monster tone - clean channel gain almost full, volume full, master to taste and dab of Boost and delay. Good lord, it sounds HUGE!
    LooseMoose,will you be using it with a Band,live or rehearsal?
  • @GrahamG  - intending to do both!  I have a rehearsal on Sunday and we're basically at gig volume then, so I'll know if it's going to work volume-wise, I think it will but we'll see what Sunday brings.
    Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
    Hi LooseMoose,did you get to rehearse with the K50 on Sunday?,the suspense is killing me =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've already posted this in a Katana thread,but just remembered about this K50 thread,anyway.
    I ordered a K50 yesterday,should have it in a couple of days,i only use an Amp for gigging(not at home),so i'll post my results,for anyone interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom