Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show me your rack

What's Hot

Comments

• This thread must have the highest 'knobs per post' ratio ever recorded on theFB. Although I admit I haven't checked speakers corner recently.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm looking forward to the 2290. Been trying to land one for ages 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    I can think of some  advantages with rack setups when your using them in a pro \ serious semipro environment.
    Redundancy : with 2 pre amps and a duel monoblock power amp  re-patchable from the front I can lose either a pre amp or one power amp and still carry on

Wet & Dry sides : You can run one side wet with effects but mic the other side and give the soundman the dry side .... handy when your soundmans moaning your using too many effects 

Weatherproof : at festivals when it's pissing with rain you can just put the doors back on and leave it in the rain until the sun comes back out. 

Quicker to set up : As everything is patched already and everything connects via the front they are quick to get set up and there's no peering behind the thing wondering if the footwsitch is plugged into the speaker output like you do a regular head :)

Most important though is they look sophisticated and important so anyone using one must be a shit hot player .... well that's why I use one :)

Weight : the things so heavy that weights not an issue. There's no way anyone can possibly lift it alone so no one tried to and thus no one puts their back out .... unlike a Fender Twin or AC30

These days though I do more gigs with an HT5 than the above but you don't feel quite so important with one of those
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    What's that between the Echo Pro and the tuner @octatonic? Is that one of those Ibanez octave pedals you like?
    Nope, I never put an Ibanez octaves in a rack- I would have of I had been able to find any others when I was building the rack but I could not.
    That is a one-of-a-kind 'Distorto' rack that I built.
    It has a Big Muff, a TS10 and a Dan Electro Fab Tone in it with 1/4 in jacks and a a universal power supply.
    It is now in my studio rack and gets used for crunching up drums and vocals.
    Right. It's the TS-10 knobs I saw. If I'd been feeling confident I probably would have guessed the Fab Tone too. Cool idea.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Thanks for the kind comments.

Here are some more pix of my setup at various different times. My current setup is much reduced rack-wise now though, I hasten to add.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • what do you think to the GeForce?
    ^ The GForce was a good unit. High quality sounds and plenty of variety, especially with the PCMCIA Artist Card. However, IIRC I sold it because I already had mods, delay and reverb covered with other units and I don't use harmonisers.
  • Gadget said:

For a moment I thought that was in a bathroom next to the shower (which would have demanded HUGE respect for the most impressive bathroom sound kit ever), then realised it's the door of the cabinet open against a curtain :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Wow, @Gadget, that is really impressive, do you have any more pics of the holey guitar with the Kahler? Reminds me of Tigertailz...
    Image result for tigertailz guitar

maidenfan said:
    Wow, @Gadget, that is really impressive, do you have any more pics of the holey guitar with the Kahler? Reminds me of Tigertailz...

I do indeed :)

It's a Royal Electra MkII Standard, made by Kevin Chilcott and he did indeed make the Tigertailz ones.

Top pic is as it is now, with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz.

Bottom pic is as I bought it with EMGs, whose wiring was only twisted together and not soldered by the previous owner. As I already have EMGs in my other Royals, I swapped this one for passives.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    @maidenfan     ; I also have a bass...

• Can we sticky this thread for when the Lazy J/Klon chitter chatter gets too much?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Early part of the build

https://imgur.com/gallery/OA346
    @Gadget , thanks for that. I love the look of those, are they similar build quality to a Jackson or similar from the same era? How is the resonance with the holes?
    Early part of the build

https://imgur.com/gallery/OA346
    Nice cool blue, but...

Yer' gonna need a bigger rack!

If you think pedal buying gets addictive, racks are one whole new level!
    maidenfan said:
    @Gadget , thanks for that. I love the look of those, are they similar build quality to a Jackson or similar from the same era? How is the resonance with the holes?
    All totally hand-built by Kevin and only Kevin, so great quality. All through-neck, hand cut pearl markers, quality hardware, hand wired, hand sprayed and finished...

He trained under Chris Eccleshall and latterly made Vs for Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash and Mitch Harris of Napalm Death.

Sadly, ill health and the stresses of the job over many years mean that Kev no longer makes any guitars :(

The Electras and Medusa's are very much rock and metal guitars (though he made other models of all types). They are very resonant and as they're all mahogany, the holes (although chiefly a cosmetic feature) probably help tame some of what might otherwise be an overbearing bottom-end.

I'm lucky to have six of them :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    6!, they must be worth having then. Need to keep an eye out for them in future, I'm really quite taken by them. If you have a link to any videos or clips you have done, it would be great to see them in action, especially through that rack.
    maidenfan said:
    6!, they must be worth having then. Need to keep an eye out for them in future, I'm really quite taken by them. If you have a link to any videos or clips you have done, it would be great to see them in action, especially through that rack.
    I have loads of info, so I am going to start a thread in the 'Guitar' forum about Royal Guitars, as I think it's a bit unfair on the OP to keep hijacking his rack build thread (sorry @sherpa_man !). I'll PM you when I post it :)
    Good point, sorry @sherpa_man , and thanks again @Gadget !
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    my word, we need a new MegaWow button for this thread!