Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

budget digital delay recommendations

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited January 2014 in FX
I use a memory toy for my delay sounds at the moment but lately have been looking into getting a digital delay unit.

Nothing wrong with the memory toy it just darkens the tone a bit(which it should being analogue) and oscillates a bit to easily for what I'm after sound wise.

I just want something simple that can run alongside my memory toy but providing clear + near infinite repeats.

I don't really want to go down the road of buying a dl-8 or dd7 unless nothing else suitable comes to light primarily because of budget and the fact I'm not after want all the bells and whistles.

Any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really, really liked my old digitech digidelay. Very underrated, has nice modulated sounds, too.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the bad boy. It has an analogue model, which is pretty good but you won't need it. The modulated is nice, though I think it might add chorus to your signal, too (rather than just repeats). Has tap tempo, and the modulated and standard delays are straight clean repeats.

It's a great pedal, if I didn't have the nova repeater, I'd get another. Btw, nova repeater is awesome too, and easy to use with better models, but I don't know if the straight clean delay sound is necessarily better than the digitech.
  • TC Repeater - increasingly cheap. Works nicely in front end and through effects loops. Tap tempo works well for me. Always used analogue previously, but this give  you the pristine TC sounds and a tape delay that sits well in the mix with relatively little fiddling.
    >:D<
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72739
    The Boss DD-3 is about as simple as a digital delay gets, sounds great and is not expensive these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2014
    Agreed on the Digidelay. Does a ton of stuff. Three modes of basic delay (up to four seconds), tape echo, modulated (which adds chorus to the repeats: the shorter your delay time the more chorussed it sounds), reverse delay and a looper. 

Doesn't let itself down at all. Basic delays all clean and sparkly. Tape mode really warm sounding. Reverse mode good fun. (I personally have trouble getting the loop mode to work spot on, but that's just my lack of practice. Also, if I fiddle around with it too much, i.e. flit between modes and generally try to alter too much over too short a space of time, mine often 'freezes' and I get no sound, meaning I have to unplug it to 'reboot' the thing. That's not a big deal though. 

These often go surprisingly cheap second hand. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Boss DD-6 or Boss DD-3.

I've had both, currently DD-6, both are brilliant delays.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I hear good things about Ibanez DE7's.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • another vote for the dd3. can be had at a decent 2nd hand price as well now
    How very rock and roll
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    The Boss DD-3 is about as simple as a digital delay gets, sounds great and is not expensive these days.
    ^

This - I have one and they are excellent. Can be purchased used on eBay ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    Guyatone md3 is a superb little delay pedal. Also the tonerider delay is a very nice sounding pedal for not much dough.
  • A couple of things to think about. Do you want clean delays or a bit warmer? Anything that does a TC2290 delay will be cool. The TC Tonefrints are excellent. I also love Digitech DL-8. Steve Lukather is currently using 2 on his board.These are warmer sounding. There is a link to Lexicon with these.

Will the pedal always be on? If no, read the FAQ's on TC website. TC Nova delays sound great but not so good when they are off.

I love delay.

Cheers Rich
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Reading through the helpful comments it appears that boss may be the way to go afterall.

• They are pretty great, but in general, the digidelay can be had cheaper used. Or that was the case a year ago, anyway.

They're both great pedals, and the design means they're stomp proof.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    I've used an Ibanez DE7 for years, sounds brilliant and has beaten the Boss pedals I've tried to replace it with. They don't go so cheaply these days though.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    I had a Marshall Echohead for quite a while before getting a Space Echo.  IIRC it was only £30 2nd hand, certainly worth a look.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited January 2014
    d8m said:
    this?
    +1... Although I managed to get all my Digitechs for FREE in a promo a few years back, I have to say that this pedal has not let me down or offered a duff setting. I don't use them all of course but for some sensible (non twin-delay Edge extremes) delay is fine and offers some great Reverby ambience setts in absence of any Reverb on your amp.

Impossible to use on a PP3 9v for more than 20 mins so - you WILL have to have a PSU option

Has a 16 sec loop function too.

The Stereo out is good for 'twin amping' and does not produce any ground hum.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Depends on your definition of "budget", but I had good experiences with the Hardwire DL-8. It's similar to the Flashback, albeit not as good IMO - the notched pots and specific time ranges are irritating, and the modulated delay mode is nowhere near as good - but you can pick them up for about £65 second hand. They can also do line level, if that makes a difference to you.

If you can afford a Flashback, though, do it. They're brilliant.
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Lot of offers on Digitech at the moment, so you can pick up a digidelay new for £65.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    shady said:
    I had a Marshall Echohead for quite a while before getting a Space Echo.  IIRC it was only £30 2nd hand, certainly worth a look.

I had one of the Marshall's for a while. Sounded fine and has a tap tempo input. Great for the price.