Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cold war memories

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1763

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast about the Blitz. I'm 2 hours into a 6 1/2 hour long show and it's sobering stuff! I'm too young to remember any of the cold war paranoia but I vaguely remember the Berlin Wall coming down. The worst part of it so far was when he talks about Truman ensuring that it would be the presidents decision whether to "push the button" and I just though of the buffoon who's sitting in that chair now!

Of course, as a fan of the Fallout series, it's all morbidly fascinating to me!

I've just downloaded this - it had better be good :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    I remember reading "Brother In The Land" which was disturbingly dark for any book let alone a kid's book.  It was just grim -- a story set in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear war.  A good book and thinking of it now still gets to me.  Really evokes the feelings of what it was like living in that age of "Protect & Survive" feelings like, shit, this could happen. 

• I grew up fairly close to Alconbury and Wyton, so there were always RF-4Cs, Canberras, A-10As and F-5Es stooging around the sky. I was always a bit of a plane nut, so I loved seeing them.
    Once I got to around 14 years old, I became very concerned that Reagan was going to get us all killed, especially once the cruise missiles started arriving at Molesworth. Threads, Protect And Survive and The Day After probably didn't help!
    I distinctly remember the air raid sirens going off in Cambridge, probably in 1984. The funny thing was that everyone stopped for a second or two, shrugged their shoulders and carried on as if nothing had happened.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • gubble said:

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast about the Blitz. I'm 2 hours into a 6 1/2 hour long show and it's sobering stuff! I'm too young to remember any of the cold war paranoia but I vaguely remember the Berlin Wall coming down. The worst part of it so far was when he talks about Truman ensuring that it would be the presidents decision whether to "push the button" and I just though of the buffoon who's sitting in that chair now!

Of course, as a fan of the Fallout series, it's all morbidly fascinating to me!

I've just downloaded this - it had better be good :)

I've listened to a lot of his podcasts, they're excellent - the WWII Eastern Front one especially
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72799

I'm too young to remember any of the cold war paranoia but I vaguely remember the Berlin Wall coming down.
    This year, it's as long since the Berlin Wall came down as it was up for. A strange thought for those of us who lived through the Cold War and for who it seemed so permanent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28900
    gubble said:
    If North Koea manage to make a proper Nuclear ICBM that's the biggest worry.
    I dunno; you wouldn't have to worry about a power supply or batteries.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    I m a little bit of a plane spotter.

The cold war era of jet development in the 50's and 60's is utterly compelling stuff. We did more in those years than ever since.

I love looking at some of the oddball ideas- even the Bear bomber that had a nuke reactor to power it that ended up frying its crew.

Fascinating stuff.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    I think India and Pakistan are the most likely countries to engage in a nuclear exchange (with each other) at the moment. That could quite easily start a domino effect though.
    fob said:
    I think India and Pakistan are the most likely countries to engage in a nuclear exchange (with each other) at the moment. That could quite easily start a domino effect though.
    Doubtful since neither side has automatic mutual-defence pacts with other nuclear powers.

I would say the biggest danger currently is Israel making a pre-emptive strike on Iran when they think Iran is about to get its own bomb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11392
    ICBM said:
    fob said:
    Doubtful since neither side has automatic mutual-defence pacts with other nuclear powers.

I would say the biggest danger currently is Israel making a pre-emptive strike on Iran when they think Iran is about to get its own bomb.
    Israel won't do that. They may use nuclear weapons in defence, but not as a first strike.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:

Israel won't do that. They may use nuclear weapons in defence, but not as a first strike.
    I wouldn't bet on that. They have a track record of attacking neighbouring states who they think pose - or are about to pose - a threat to them. Some of Iran's nuclear project also appears to be underground and out of reach of conventional bombing.

• Anyone else remember the Civil Defence Unit, which was a post-war version of the Home Guard / Dad's Army. I can remember going on a school day trip to visit the local Unit in order to listen to them tell us kids about the joys of nuclear warfare, and how to survive on a tin of Spam and loaf of Mothers Pride for week.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11392
    ICBM said:
    scrumhalf said:

I wouldn't bet on that. They have a track record of attacking neighbouring states who they think pose - or are about to pose - a threat to them. Some of Iran's nuclear project also appears to be underground and out of reach of conventional bombing.
    No. They know that as a first-strike they would be wiped out. They are not as stupid as that.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Tbh I never really gave it much consideration as a kid in the eighties. I was aware of there being a threat but never really believed it would happen. I think in today's world we're more aware of the irrationally of the people who could possibly use them.
    I guess my biggest memory about the threat back in the eighties was the Neil painting himself white to deflect the blast inThe Young Ones.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited January 2017
    When The Wind Blows is such an emotionally heart-wrenching animation to watch. The poor innocent and naive pensioners are everything you wanted your Grandparents to be...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    scrumhalf said:

No. They know that as a first-strike they would be wiped out. They are not as stupid as that.
    By who? No-one is going to nuke Israel on Iran's behalf. Israel will try to stop Iran getting a bomb by any means - they're desperate not to allow it because it's a direct threat to their regional superiority. The worst possible case is that they do it, but just too late and then Iran has the capability to retaliate, even if it's with only one bomb. With Trump in charge that could cause an American attack on Iran and then all bets are off.

• cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    my most vivid memories, are being right at the heart of it. i was in the air force, and did two tours in germany., we knew that sitting on one of the largest air wings in nato, at bruggen, that we were guaranteed a strike in the first few hours/minutes. tbh it was better not to think about it.i was on one of the squadrons there, and we used to do a duty, called qra, quick reaction alert, which involved having one of our jets, sat in a very heavily guarded and hardened  compound near the end of the runway, along with an aircraft from each of the other three sqdns at bruggen, armed with a nuke and ready for immediate launch 24/7. we did one day on/one day off for two weeks at a time, living in the compound, two groundcrew and the pilot from each sqdn. looking back it seems surreal. but what just one of the things you did, "all part of life in a blue suit" as the saying went!.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    I was at Leeming 88-93 @cacophony. We had a 'generation' every other week and a full blown taceval every couple of months. The F3's weren't so much of the strategic plan as your GR4's though eh? And they're still around today. Great aircraft.
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i was on the jags deadman.was actually the last jag 'singly' to leave germany.
  • I heard in the X Files that the Cold War was effectively a PR war to distract the peasants and keep them in fear, likewise flying saucers and alien abductions. So it must be true right?

Also the cigarette smoking man shot JFK
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic