Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where are all the 'good' new albums these days?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5006
As in, what recent album will usurp albums like Aja, Harvest, Solid Air, Moon Safari, Oxygen, Still got the Blues, Metallica, Ace of Spades, Wish you were here, Folk Singer, Live at Leeds, Live in Europe, Rumours etc. etc. etc,

If you hear a track on the radio from any of these and hundreds of other albums from the past, you immediately recognize the song and usually can name the album it was on.

Has there been a 'recent' (that is in the last decade) album that merits being included in the above list (which is in no way comprehensive and which can easily be expanded)?  I can't think of one.  Can you?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Presumably you recognise them because they've been around so long so that can't work for new music  :3 The album as a leading force in popular music stopped to a large degree probably twenty years ago. I'm sure people have favourites from recent years but I don't really think in terms of albums any more for anything that's new to me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Too many to list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:

If you hear a track on the radio from any of these and hundreds of other albums from the past, you immediately recognize the song and usually can name the album it was on.

That's from your perspective. I doubt if many teenagers these days would immediately recognise tracks from the albums you've listed. Just like you wouldn't recognise what they're into.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited February 2017
    Shitloads of great - and I do mean 'great' - albums out there from this millennium alone. Problem is (well, it's far from a problem) that there is so much new music being released these days and it is so easily attainable that the mere notion of an album selling like hot cakes is a thing of the past.

But yeah...so many good albums out there, and not enough critical accolades to go round.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What defines greatness in music? Popular appeal? Sales? Press? Longevity? is your list really great or just what is perceived by a certain age group as great?
  • I've been around long enough to have seen albums that were greeted with an ambivalent response initially elevated to "classic" over time, so I shall reserve judgement on today's albums until they have had time to ripen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    @Dopesick, good reply with reasoned argument. Could you name a few albums that might appeal to me (aging rocker/guitar & bass player/golfer of sorts). An album or two that can be bought in Tower Records or similar. Thanks
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I've been around long enough to have seen albums that were greeted with an ambivalent response initially elevated to "classic" over time, so I shall reserve judgement on today's albums until they have had time to ripen.

I watched that documentary about Bat Out of Hell and the problems getting it released and the poor response. Google says it has sold 43 million copies so far.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    I agree with the comment that there's just too much around and too easily accessible - it makes it impossible to get your arms around.

It's a bit like when we only had 4 TV channels to chose from, you could appreciate and/or critique every TV show - good luck trying that now if you still want to hold down a job.
  • How about Lost in a Dream by The War on Drugs? 
  • Loads, most you probably won't like but still probable future classics. 

Black Keys - El Camino
    Beck - Sea change
    The National - High violet
    Wilco - sky blue sky
    Future Islands - singles
    The war on drugs - lost in the dream
    Half moon run -  Dark Eyes 
    Father John Misty - Fear Fun
    Edward Sharpe & the magnetic zeros
    Feist - the reminder
    Little Dragon - Ritual unions
    Fever Ray

Because of the way music is made and bought now very few albums will have the same combination of sales and acclaim as they may have before digital everything.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Most recent ground-shaker for me is Ty Segall's Emotional Mugger
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    If I were to stand at what I think are truely brilliant albums start to finish of the last 5 years that id put up with anything else I'd say:

Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool
    Chvrches - The Bones of what you Believe
    Ben Howard - I Forget Where we Were
    Everything Everything - Cough Cough
    John Mayer -  Born and Raised

Im sure there's many more but these are the ones off the top of my head that get mucho airplay.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'd say that there's more good music coming out now than ever before, mainly thanks to the internet

This was my top 20 from last year:
    Kate Tempest - Let Them Chaos
    Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being
    Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
    Yak - Alas Salvation
    Fews - Means
    King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
    David Bowie - Blackstar
    Roosevelt - Roosevelt
    Mogwai - Atomic
    The Julie Ruin - Hit Reset
    Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Whitney - Light Upon The Lake
    Daughter - Not To Disappear
    NZCA LINES - Infinite Summer
    Sunflower Bean - Human Ceremony
    The Avalanches - Wildflower
    Telegram - Operator
    S U R V I V E - RR7349
    65daysofstatic - No Man's Sky - Music for an Infinite Universe
    Teleman - Brilliant Sanity

Big ones from recent years (probably something for most people here):
    Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
    LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver/This Is Happening
    Todd Terje - It's Album Time
    Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
    The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
    Caribou - Swim
    Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    The last 4 National albums

I'd put most of the last list above some of the stuff on your list - I'd say most of the acclaim is down to nostalgia (not saying that some of them aren't great, just not significantly better than modern albums)
    Stop crying, start buying
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24735
    Just because I'm listening at the moment,

I can always recognise Skindred. Very distinctive.
  • I know it's all subjective and all but Jesus wept I can't stand Kate Tempest's stuff

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5082
    Rocker said:
    @Dopesick, good reply with reasoned argument. Could you name a few albums that might appeal to me (aging rocker/guitar & bass player/golfer of sorts). An album or two that can be bought in Tower Records or similar. Thanks
    Try bands like Horisont, Graveyard, Witchcraft, The Devil's Blood,  Dead Lord,  Corsair,  The Want,  Mothership,  Mos Generator, Stone Axe, Gentleman's Pistols, Firebird and Grand Magus. 
  • Based on what @rocker has posted in the past I'd suggest Black Star Riders (Scott Gorham's post Thin Lizzy project), Rival Sons ( 21st century Led Zep) and Bros Landreth (slightly over exposed modern southern rockers) all of whom probably have albums (made in the last couple of years)available in Tower Records.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3929
    The landscape's changed. Many people (including me) just pick and choose their favourite tracks on Spotify, iTunes etc. rather than buying/streaming whole albums. Thus avoiding album filler tracks! Some artists are releasing albums bit by bit now, rather than as a whole. John Mayer and Ryan Adams are currently doing it.
  • I bought more fantastic metal albums in the last few years than I did when I was younger. There's plenty of fantastic new music out there - but it's not on the radio.