I was made redundant last week, but...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
I was made redundant last week from a global role that involved a lot of international travel and was a great job for a US based company. 

They have offered me alternative employment a couple of rungs down the ladder, at a local UK facility, that I know very well, reporting to someone who used to be a peer, with much less responsibility, doing a similar role to what I was doing 5 years ago, still a management role though. They are keeping my pay and bonus the same, as I was talked into taking the global role reluctantly, 2 years ago and it seems they have some compassion.

Started yesterday and I've had some unusual feelings of regret and bitterness and I have felt lost and numb. Took it for the money as it's a very well paid job, the leaving package was good and would have lasted me a year or even 2 if we got frugal but I live in a rural area, with precious little chance of finding something that pays like this, we don't want to move and I'm swallowing a lot of pride for the sake of the pay packet.

Would you have cut and run or took the job?

Fucking rate race treadmill bullshit, I fucking hate it.

Randall is not his usual happy self at the moment.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'd have took it, but...

I'd have used the opportunity to set a time limit and re evaluate what I want. Six months, maybe a year, decide what I want to do and then go look for it - all the while still taking their cash.

It isn't often you get a chance to do this - and it will stop the bitterness once you work out what you really want to do about it.

Think of it as paid redundancy and an opportunity to re evaluate with cash still coming in. Talk it over with the missus and agree a deadline. By your deadline you should have agreed what you want to do, and then set another deadline to achieve it.

They used you, so use them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd have took it, but...

I'd have used the opportunity to set a time limit and re evaluate what I want. Six months, maybe a year, decide what I want to do and then go look for it - all the while still taking their cash.

It isn't often you get a chance to do this - and it will stop the bitterness once you work out what you really want to do about it.

Think of it as paid redundancy and an opportunity to re evaluate with cash still coming in. Talk it over with the missus and agree a deadline. By your deadline you should have agreed what you want to do, and then set another deadline to achieve it.

Thanks mate, that's sound advice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'd have took it, but...

Thanks mate, that's sound advice.
    Worked for a place about ten years ago where this was happening weekly.

It was something a lot of people did, and was hilarious to watch the resignation letters going in about six months later - really left them in the shit as well. I left soon after and the place has really gone down the nick after nearly all the good people went. 

They've shown their colours, and you've got time to show yours - but bide your time and you'll have the last laugh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The new job might not be what you want but it gives you a regular pay packet while you figure out what you want. Keep a hold of it until a better offer comes up ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Top advice so far. I'll be in a similar position myself soon. Just the kick up the arse we both need eh?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    I got redundancy in September after 20 years with the company.
    I was offered a lump sum deal to walk away or I could carry on under a 3 month review program after which if I didn't meet the new targets set then I'd get nothing.
    I took the money and left the company.

I took the time to do lots of jobs needing doing round the house whilst working out what else I wanted to do. I've used some of the money to go self-employed and I'm now selling and fitting blinds. I don't know how it will work out but I've wanted to be my own boss for years and redundancy has afforded me that opportunity. I wouldn't have jacked in my job to try this and so for me redundancy was actually a good thing.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    Same pay , less responsibility sign me up. 
    Id stick it and keep looking for something else. 

I used  to have a job that was 9-5 weekdays only walk out the office door and leave it all behind. Now I run the site plus a few others, always on call and the ultimate desicion maker, hate it it's like constantly working overtime for free. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    I got redundancy in September after 20 years with the company.
    I was offered a lump sum deal to walk away or I could carry on under a 3 month review program after which if I didn't meet the new targets set then I'd get nothing.
    I took the money and left the company.

I took the time to do lots of jobs needing doing round the house whilst working out what else I wanted to do. I've used some of the money to go self-employed and I'm now selling and fitting blinds. I don't know how it will work out but I've wanted to be my own boss for years and redundancy has afforded me that opportunity. I wouldn't have jacked in my job to try this and so for me redundancy was actually a good thing.
    Good for you mate.

• Here's a story:

The Mexican Fisherman

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Same money with less travel and less responsibility sounds excellent. I retired at 57 a few years ago - making the decision to have a less well funded, but more fun lifestyle. Several friends who have recently retired (aged 55 to 65) all wish they had stopped work earlier, or been more focussed on their own life rather than work.

Take the money, do the job properly, but make sure that your focus is on you, your family and your friends (and your guitars) - and not on the job.
  • Thanks @AustrianJohn ;

• I'd have taken the job; quality of life matters more, and opportunities will likely present themselves - to either earn more or do more interesting things - along the way when you're not always on the lookout for the next step.

My story sort of says that: about 7 years ago, I quit the very stable company I was working for, in an office about 2 miles away, to work from home (for somebody else) building a system that I'd had in my head for a few years. In the process, I took a £12k pay cut.

The previous company laid almost everybody in that office off about 6 months later and moved the remaining people to Brighton.

The new guy, about 2 years in, decided he wanted to save money and that I would be better off going freelance with them paying me a retainer...dodgy as fuck, but OK. I really didn't have a choice at the time, and he knew it; I was too comfortable working from home, and we'd structured our lives around it.

Hated it, equated to another £5k pay cut (at this point I'm earning about 55% of what I was in the other company). However, on the upside...when our Ruby fell down the stairs and needed a lot of medical treatment, I had the tax savings available to save her life; I likely couldn't have done it if I was fully employed, with our spending patterns.

A couple of years of being freelance later, I heard about a job working from home paying easily more than double my freelance earnings. I'm there now, and I've been happy in this job for two and a half years.

Here's the thing: had I continued in my original job, there was basically no career path to where I am now. The road either ended where I was, hoping for measly handouts in the form of annual wage increases, or stepping into management which is my idea of hell. However, had I known what was immediately ahead in the job working from home, there's no way I would've taken it.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is...sometimes the choice involving less-than-ideal conditions is actually the right one.
    <space for hire>
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    I think you did the right thing @RandallFlagg

There is (in many jobs) this almost unspoken pressure and assumption to continually push yourself up the corporate ladder. For what though?

Life IMO is about one thing only: being happy. Most of us don't know what that really means. We dress it up in wrappers like "fulfilment", "wealth", "doing a good job" etc etc, but I think very few people really know what it is.

Whilst a job is a large part of your life, it shouldn't define you. It should be a means to an end.Very few companies truly value their employees. If they did, then things like you are experiencing would be rare, rather than the norm.

Stuff it, take the money, live your life. Do the job, leave it when you finish for the day/weekend. Focus on what matters deep down.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4750
    The job is the right way.   Do your bit, work hard and be proactive and remind yourself it's not your responsibility when the boss fucks up.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Can I suggest a new focus. Instead of putting everything into the job, put more time and effort into sorting out your finances, mortgage etc. so you can get out of there when you want and on your terms.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • 10 years ago I was in a similar position and initially decided to move to another department for the sake of staying in work, however, I realised that I hated the job and it's location and would rather take the pay out and take my chances in the job market.
    Although it took around 6 months to find another position I was glad I did it, I just wish I'd have been a bit more proactive during the 3 month consultancy period. 

In essence you have made the correct and logical choice by staying with the firm, but whether you can square this logic with your overall feelings is another matter.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Having a regular income (and suitable fat) is nice, having more time (less travel etc). to be with family friends and guitars is a bonus, you're employment rights should remain continuous so if they make you redundent in the future they pay you more. Embrace the change as some kind of semi retirement (less hours and responsibility for the same dosh) they are doing you a favour aren't they? If you see this as demotion you will be sad, if you see it as semi retirement it's great, and you still have all the options. Also looking for a job is easier if you are employed, especially if thats a long employment. Whats the pension scheme like?

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    edited February 2017
    I would have took the job no question. I think you made the correct decision.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'd have taken the job as well. Well-paid secure employment is at a premium at the moment. Take some time and decide what you want to do next in your own time - pretty much what everyone is saying.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

Take the money, do the job properly, but make sure that your focus is on you, your family and your friends (and your guitars) - and not on the job.
    Wis for the man in Austria!

After all - the classifieds need a bit of impetus.  If we all stopped worrying about work, we'd have more time to buy and sell guitars...

Oh, I'm prolly not helping am I?

B) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)