What's Hot
Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
edited July 2021 in Off Topic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    no don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 297
    I agree with @speshul91 - don't drive it. It is potentially dangerous to yourself and others. You may be able to file a compensation claim against the authority that is responsible for the road.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29052
    What could possibly go wrong in a car with half its driving and steering wheels fucked?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    Is it the coil that's broken, or has it punched through the mount? That can happen on older cars when a bit of rust gets in. If so it may be an economic write-off.

Either way I wouldn't drive it if it doesn't sit right, it's unlikely to be safe and you will probably have voided your insurance in the event of an accident if they can prove it's not roadworthy. You'll also get pulled over in the (admittedly fairly unlikely, but these things have a habit of happening…) event that the plod spot you.

Take the bus - it won't kill you. The car might.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33904
    No, it is not drivable.
    Slightly worrying that you even need to ask.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    just don't go above 80 and it'll be reet.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited July 2021

VimFuego said:
    That's all the endorsement I needed. Looks like I'll be driving tomorrow!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    VimFuego said:
    What, in a 14-year-old Corsa?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    edited April 2017

On a Corsa-C it's very unlikely to cause any further problems, as there is plenty metal to catch broken springs. Just drive sensibly.

Certain other cars however, I'm surprised manufacturers have never been forced to issue recalls. How they can get away with springs snapping and going straight through tyres as there's nothing to catch them if the end snaps, fascinates me. There must be a good law suit in there somewhere.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    It'll be fine.  Just keep accelerating till the magic forces push the other side down. No one will notice the tilt then

this may be nonesense  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    Don't drive it until you have someone look at it. Transportation blocks can be fitted to move it. Some springs are straight/parallel so if the break they just fall straight down onto the strut cup..but other springs are wider in the middle but narrow where they mount top and bottom..these springs usually collapse over the strut bottom cup resulting in tyre damage and usually end up taking out brake flexible pipes and abs wiring...Worse case is that it will lock your steering up, which ain't good B)
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Ben8010 said:
    octatonic said:
    No, it is not drivable.
    Reason I ask is that I managed to drive it back from where I drove it to and it didn't feel any different. I didn't realise the problem until I got home 
    Jesus fucking Christ.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8085
    Don't be daft man. Get the bus. 
    Ended up on the bus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Garthy said:
    Ben8010 said:
    octatonic said:
    No, it is not drivable.
    Reason I ask is that I managed to drive it back from where I drove it to and it didn't feel any different. I didn't realise the problem until I got home 
    Jesus fucking Christ.
    Bit harsh. The remainder of the spring still has the same spring rate so would affect the handling that much and the spring wouldn't drop that far under compression so could easily not be noticed. However, no, not safe to drive and the legal implications that you knowingly drove it in that state are not good.
    dern said:

Bit harsh. The remainder of the spring still has the same spring rate so would affect the handling that much and the spring wouldn't drop that far under compression so could easily not be noticed. However, no, not safe to drive and the legal implications that you knowingly drove it in that state are not good.
    Cheers. It was also only a 10-15 min drive at 30mph. Had it have been a longer drive I might have noticed summat. Let him enjoy his time atop his high horse though.

Yeah, I got a few mixed answers both on here and in person, suggesting it wasn't that unreasonable of a question really. But I ultimately ended up on a bus. Which was inevitably late and smelt like someone was frying a turd on it.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    If you've ever have Renault, you soon get used to driving around with broken coil springs.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    drive backwards...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    dern said:

Cheers. It was also only a 10-15 min drive at 30mph. Had it have been a longer drive I might have noticed summat. Let him enjoy his time atop his high horse though.

Yeah, I got a few mixed answers both on here and in person, suggesting it wasn't that unreasonable of a question really. But I ultimately ended up on a bus. Which was inevitably late and smelt like someone was frying a turd on it.
    Not being a fuckwit isn't getting on a high horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom