Being amazed with technology etc

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
Any one else sometimes get amazed at how technology has changed in their life time? 

I've just been watching a short video of the video games I used to play. Sonic the hedgehog, super Mario bros, Duck Hunt etc and now I've just turned on my Ps4 Pro to play Horizon: Zero  Dawn and found myself thinking how far this has all come along. 

Then to think, I'm writing this on my smartphone that is more advanced than the laptop I owned a few years ago. 

Where do things go from here? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Virtual reality is the future and what will probably come with the is even more laziness from the masses, I love tech but it seems all geared to time saving and convenience,...Apart from my fitbit thats great 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Yeah it is fantastic. Currently sitting in the living room with my headphones on & mobile phone playing music through Amazon Music, while reading Reddit.

I should be tidying up the backroom, but sod it....that job can wait.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited May 2017
    Yep it's been years since I had to converse with an actual human on any meaningful level. 

Bliss. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited May 2017
    Yes It seems absolutely amazing to an old fart like me, I left school in 1968 way before the internet & all the devices that go with it.

I was very late getting into computers, 51 years old to be exact when I bought my first one.
    We didn't even have a telephone in the house back then.
    I'm still gobsmacked that I can communicate with anyone on the planet & the things I've learned in such a short time.
    I got friendly with half a dozen people from all over the world to make music in a virtual band, I learned how to play & record digitally, Mix music (to my ears anyway lol) shoot & edit video then synch them up & send files around the world to the other players for them to do their bit.

Something I couldn't even imagined in my wildest dreams of ever doing, that one computer purchase changed my life literally.

It's the best thing since sliced bread & black pudding.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    I still feel like I live in the future every time I use an iPad. I think it's the Star-Trek-ness of it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    Some of it's good, some not so good. Although processing power has dramatically increased software is so bloated now that you don't really get anything done any quicker. Thankfully I'm generally only involved with the hardware side of PC repairs because turning on your average laptop and waiting for it to become usable is one of the most annoying things ever for me. I can't reply to my emails any quicker now on an i5 with 8Gb of ram than I did on a Pentium 133 with 32Mb of ram ...
    The world is still steam powered to a certain extent ... from generating electricity to propelling the latest aircraft carrier .... not a great deal has changed in electronics since the invention of the transistor ..all the progress is just the miniaturization of it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Oh! there was one thing I wanted to ask,  Did we have trolls before the Internet!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Yes, they were called "wankers" but they got ignored and mumbled to themselves.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I'm not big into tech nor watch TV, all I know is that the computer takes up more of my time, modern vans are rubbish and the automated voice on the diesel pump is extremely annoying and I'm addicted to masturbation.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    I can remember the days when you had to book international phone calls in advance and if the only time available was 2.30pm on Tuesday you had no choice besides the like it/lump it one.

To be able to take a device out of my pocket and be able to call almost anyone almost anywhere in the world still amazes me.

As a kid I would have quite possibly messed myself to see what computer games are like, even the ones of 30+ years ago on the Spectrum and ZX-81.

Technology is just fucking amazing.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I still feel like I live in the future every time I use an iPad. I think it's the Star-Trek-ness of it.
    Have you got the dematerialise app on it, or just the one that allows you to add Spock's ears to you're own photo?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    Well we are like living in Star Trek universe almost.  I TELL my house to turn on/off the lights, I can tell my hifi to turn up/down volume, my phone is like out of Star Trek, web, emails, music, video, I can control my computer with it half the world away, it's my boarding pass, I can use it to pay for food, I can do my banking, it's also a phone and much more.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Stevepage said:
    Is it down to the beach, I fear?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    No hoverboards. No amazement.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    Stevepage said:
    Is it down to the beach, I fear?
    Aye aye aye aye aye aye
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Yep it's been years since I had to converse with an actual human on any meaningful level. 

Bliss. 
    With the internet I can happily fail to converse with other humans all over the world too.....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    I was amazed the other day how I was sat in my car in a layby in the middle of nowhere and was instructing, from my phone, a virtual server to start up, in Singapore, that routes all my internet traffic from my house halfway around the world and then out onto the net in Singapore.

Another thing that always amazes me are live streaming webcams around the world... https://geocam.tv/#/

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    Tech is shit, it seems information tech is moving onwards leaps and bounds but everything else is getting left behind, the important stuff. So what if I can ask my phone how tall Everest is, we still haven't found cures to diseases because we seem to invest in info tech rather than the things that matter. Our planet is dying around us and all we give a shit about is Facebook updates and checking our EMails every half an hour, amused to death? I think so. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    robgilmo said:
    Tech is shit, it seems information tech is moving onwards leaps and bounds but everything else is getting left behind, the important stuff. So what if I can ask my phone how tall Everest is, we still haven't found cures to diseases because we seem to invest in info tech rather than the things that matter. Our planet is dying around us and all we give a shit about is Facebook updates and checking our EMails every half an hour, amused to death? I think so. 
    I agree completely, Roger called it in 92

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4654
    Tech is helping with huge advances in medicine, but unlike tech, these advances take a long time get to market with clinical trials.
    Also nature is massively more complex than tech it has had billions of years to evolve, computers have only had since the war to evolve and we are already hitting a wall in terms of how much smaller we can go. 
    I think that other than quantum computing, nural networks will be the next big breakthrough.