9 60s Blackface amps compared with a Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    timmysoft said:
    they all sounded like ballbag
    But does it Djent?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 407
    Looked and sounded like a speaker comparison to me.  I really don't know what I learnt about the core amplifiers.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    With the exception of the Twin and the Bassman I don't think hard driven Blackface amps sound all that great and with those two amps you won't have a realistic opportunity to get them driving.

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    this is a better demo of a super reverb

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Super was being driven too hard. They are best when at 5-6 on the volume, any louder and they get all messed up. I've heard Matt Schofield play through a Super in his early days and it was an utterly sublime sound. And he played both 61 Strat (Amalfitano pickups at the time IIRC) and a Tokai ES.

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Apparently there's going to be a tweed/brownface/blackface comparison in the works very soon.  But in the meantime here's the brownface contingent to add to the mix:

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I liked the boxy honk of the Vibro Champ.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    nickb_boy said:
    Apparently there's going to be a tweed/brownface/blackface comparison in the works very soon.  But in the meantime here's the brownface contingent to add to the mix:
    I think the Pro is the winner there, followed by - surprisingly, given how similar it is to the Super Reverb - the Concert.

To be absolutely honest though… do *any* of them really sound that great, in any of the clips? They're all varieties of ratty, buzzy, muddy, honky or farty to some extent or another. I really wonder whether if you put a few decent solid-state amps in the same rooms and recorded them, whether they'd actually sound any worse?

I seriously doubt if most listeners could even hear much difference if you DI'd a few different overdrive pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    The Brownface amps are not sounding so good to me

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    The Brownface amps are not sounding so good to me
    Racist!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom