Excellent podcast "no guitar is safe"

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @bacchanalian Wis'd. Beautiful playing and sound on that episode, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been enjoying this since the Nita Strauss episode, I am a bit of a fanboy in that regard.  I do go in and out of phases of being interested in Random Guitarist X from Band Y, but you can't deny there are some gems in there. I really don't enjoy Rusty Cooley's guitar playing but the discussion was excellent.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I'll defo have to get into this...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've been enjoying this since the Nita Strauss episode, I am a bit of a fanboy in that regard.  I do go in and out of phases of being interested in Random Guitarist X from Band Y, but you can't deny there are some gems in there. I really don't enjoy Rusty Cooley's guitar playing but the discussion was excellent.

Fanboy of Nita's? A local Ibanez dealer runs workshops with endorsers. There were, like, 5 of us there in the store to see Martin Miller. So many people wanted to see Nita that the shop had to rent a nearby club for the workshop. Which then sold out. Martin's was free of charge...

The Rusty Cooley episode was hilarious, he was doing stuff that sounded like a broken dial-up modem.

@thomasross20 Put one on and go for a jog, Tiggs. I know you couldn't possibly sit still for two hours straight! ;)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    DLM said:

...There were, like, 5 of us there in the store to see Martin Miller. 
    Shame there weren't more to see him, he's a great guitar player. That isn't his real surname, he changed it from something much more interesting. I never understood why. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Wait... Two HOURS!? 
    :lol: 
  • OK so my new favourite moment is the Pete Thorn one (Ep 27?) where he discusses getting into guitar and playing in front of people for the first time (leading up from around 29:00) - he plays the first few bars of Iron Man by Sabbath and Jude/Pete both just guffaw in a very Beavis and Butthead 'a-hur-hur-hur' style. Made me grin like a fool and reminded me why I got into guitar playing in the first place!
    axisus said:
    DLM said:

...There were, like, 5 of us there in the store to see Martin Miller. 
    Shame there weren't more to see him, he's a great guitar player. That isn't his real surname, he changed it from something much more interesting. I never understood why. 

Yeah. I started this thread about him last year:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/74942/cracking-the-codes-troy-grady-does-martin-miller-wischi-tafka-martin-wichmann

The Petrucci forum is currently down again. :cry: All that cool content!

Anyway. His real name's Wichmann, but he wanted something that was easier to grasp internationally. His girlfriend at the time suggested it. Now he's with martinablazeska, who I don't see renaming herself anytime soon. Maybe this is an example of everyday sexism and men being disadvantaged. :confused: Guys will learn a "complicated" name to look at Martina’s bikini pix (her playing and singing are great, but let's face it, this is the internet), but not to watch Martin shred.

@thomasross20 Yup, there are a few episodes that are longer than two hours. You can always listen at a playback speed more in tune with your heightened metabolism. ;)

• 53 episodes...
    Right, I'll try a few!! 

Any similar ones that are more specifically geared toward theory, song construction and playing changes?

@thomasross20 Just find the artist on the list that you like most, Tiggs, and listen to that episode first.

The other stuff you describe isn't really best suited to podcasts, though NGIS and GuitarWank touch on all those topics in very interesting ways, sometimes in some depth. Despite Henderson's best attempts to remain consistent to his mantra of "You want me to teach? Gimme some money first, bitch!" ;)  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348

Any similar ones that are more specifically geared toward theory, song construction and playing changes?
    They are more about the artists 'journey'.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    im on the John 5 one at the moment, great stuff 
  • Just listened to Tim Stewart. Fantastic insight into the life of a professional guitar player. Also gave me an appreciation for the high calibre of musicians working with acts that I would never listen to, such as, Lady Gah Gah and Rhiannon.