Now NAD : SF Pro Reverb advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738

I'd set it to 240. mains.

Ticking can be very much reduced by attention to the lead dress, but sometimes you need to changed the optocoupler.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Set it to 240V. It's not whether you can hear a difference, it's whether you're overstressing some components. Unlikely, but no point in risking it. It's possible that the switch is hardwired internally anyway, but best to be safe. Turn it up to 240 and make sure the switch will not turn any further.

No telling what's going on with that added switch - it's a shame it's been bodged like that. I would very much get the amp checked over professionally - the standard of workmanship with strange modifications is often not good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Being right next to the speaker jacks it's probably a speaker phase switch. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    hywelg said:
    Being right next to the speaker jacks it's probably a speaker phase switch. 
    Not a great idea in an amp with negative feedback that one!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    It could be almost anything. Location means nothing, it could be wherever was most convenient to drill a hole. Sometimes there appears to be no logic at all.

Speaker phase is very unlikely as jpfamps said. Turning off the negative feedback is more possible, but it's still just a wild guess without looking inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Cheers all. Set to 240. Won't be touching the switch till I found out what's going on when the amp gets a once-over. Maybe blackfaced as well depending how the checkup bill costs.