Ageing a maple neck?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    I have tried the shoe polish method, its not much darker at all, in fact I'm thinking about lacquering it with antique pine polyurethane as it still has a white appearance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I used instant coffee on mine.  Only on the back, but sanded off the nitro, rubbed in in instant coffee paste, then wiped it off and just did 1 layer of true oil, knocked back with wire wool.

Gold blend or kenco  =)
    Don’t know but it smelt like a geography teachers breath for a week...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  

I used instant coffee on mine.  Only on the back, but sanded off the nitro, rubbed in in instant coffee paste, then wiped it off and just did 1 layer of true oil, knocked back with wire wool.

Gold blend or kenco  =)
    Don’t know but it smelt like a geography teachers breath for a week...
    You had Mr Jones too!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the decal retrievable or will I just apply a new one when I re-fin?  I've seen guys take it off with water but this decal is definitely under the finish..
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    Is the decal retrievable or will I just apply a new one when I re-fin?  I've seen guys take it off with water but this decal is definitely under the finish..
    You might struggle.  If it's a nitro finish you might get away with softening the lacquer over the decal with a less aggressive solvent in order to remove it (try Acetone, cheap nail polish remover - not the sort with all moisturisers and wotnot in it).  If it's poly maybe not.

You could also try and remove the finish around the decal by masking the decal area, and refinish over the whole area.  It might look a bit wonky though as even if it's poly over the decal it'll have darkened a bit and your new finish might not match.

You could just re-decal it.  There are eBay sellers knocking out gen looking decals, or there were a few years ago.

If you hang on a bit I'm sure there'll be better suggestions along! :)
  • @randella I'm not that bothered I can always reapply one, but I guess it's more money and more purchasing/hassle etc... Just want to get this Baja back up and running because it's such a nice player. Just like your '68 the pocket is super tight  ;)