Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Analogueman on TPS

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Part two finally up....

Found it a bit disappointing to be honest, basically 45 min of trying out Sun Faces and Dan is a complete waste of space throughout with his gibbering and pulling silly faces, he contributes very little other than just sitting there saying "wow, I mean wow". You'd think a man in his position would have tried a Sunface at least once before, it's all left a bit to Mick to pull it together and even he seems to getting a bit tired of Dan's constant "I'm struggling to comprehend this" nonsense. Was hoping for a bit more input and fuzz discussion with Analogman Mike, but hey ho.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Part two finally up....

Found it a bit disappointing to be honest, basically 45 min of trying out Sun Faces and Dan is a complete waste of space throughout with his gibbering and pulling silly faces, he contributes very little other than just sitting there saying "wow, I mean wow". You'd think a man in his position would have tried a Sunface at least once before, it's all left a bit to Mick to pull it together and even he seems to getting a bit tired of Dan's constant "I'm struggling to comprehend this" nonsense. Was hoping for a bit more input and fuzz discussion with Analogman Mike, but hey ho.....
    I must admit I agree with you :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    Octafish said:
    Part two finally up....

I must admit I agree with you
    Think it would have been better with just Mick and Analogman. Mick seemed to get what the pedal was about, Dan behaved as though he'd never encoutered a Fuzzface style fuzz in his life and although he got the bit about it's dynamics and treating it like it's an instrument in it's own right, his playing seemed really stiff and unsuited.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I really enjoyed it! I love watching someone getting lost in the moment. 
  • What I have left with after watching that episode combined with further research its the Sunface using the 2N527 chip would be my preference. Anyone selling.?No one respond to that please as the last time I said something like that on a thread I ended up buying it off them. I've got to sell some stuff first LOL
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12702
    I gave up fairly early on that one... I gave up when Mick started playing the Strat through the Silicon versions.

Being 100% honest, I couldn't really hear much difference between the different flavours of Germanium or Silicon, and I'm not that convinced I could pick out that much difference between Germanium *and* Silicon. They all sounded great but I didn't hear any night and day differences... and that leads me onto my point.

I've built a few fuzz-face based circuits and assuming you get the bias right and the transistors are there or thereabouts, it will sound like a Fuzzface no matter what transistors (of that type) you fit. There is a *feel* difference sometimes - sometimes it feels more spongey, other times it feels more attack-y. However, those differences are minutae - and certainly not within the bounds of the compression used on Youtube.

I did a blindfold test once between a late 60s genuine Fuzzface, an Arbiter 1990s reissue and a homebrew (not one of mine) clone... I chose the Arbiter as the one I liked best, but they all sounded much of a muchness. There was a feel difference between them - the way notes fell away and especially when you backed off but it wasn't chasms of difference. When I hear people blathering about the fuzz face circuit and that they are "experts" on it, I tend to have a little chuckle to myself - there are nine components and two pots... a bit of perspective, chaps...

I'm sure these are fab pedals - most Fuzzfaces are - but realistically, the differences between them are so slight they are not worth worrying about and certainly don't need 45 minutes of wigging out with comments like "wow" or "magic" (its not magic, its simple electronics). I think that video was just what is called "advertorial" in publishing circles - the cynical in me wonders what Analogman boxes went home in Mick and Dan's hand luggage as a result.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    antifash said:
    Perv
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Part two finally up....

Despite not having an interest in Analogman I found the first one quite engaging. Obviously they'd used up all the good stuff and I lost interest in this quickly, subtle differences between fuzzes via YouTube and my iPad is a thankless exercise. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I had high hopes for the Fuzz part of the visit to Analogman but Dan just ruined it.... He made it unwatchable for the most part and if it were not for Mick, I think they’d of been asked to leave.. :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    antifash said:
    Haven't you just scored a Ge Sunface? What's it like, has it left you unable to speak? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    @Octafish Hehehe. Give us a chance. It hasn’t arrived yet.   :3 
    impmann said:
    I gave up fairly early on that one... I gave up when Mick started playing the Strat through the Silicon versions.

Being 100% honest, I couldn't really hear much difference between the different flavours of Germanium or Silicon, and I'm not that convinced I could pick out that much difference between Germanium *and* Silicon. They all sounded great but I didn't hear any night and day differences... and that leads me onto my point.

I've built a few fuzz-face based circuits and assuming you get the bias right and the transistors are there or thereabouts, it will sound like a Fuzzface no matter what transistors (of that type) you fit. There is a *feel* difference sometimes - sometimes it feels more spongey, other times it feels more attack-y. However, those differences are minutae - and certainly not within the bounds of the compression used on Youtube.

I did a blindfold test once between a late 60s genuine Fuzzface, an Arbiter 1990s reissue and a homebrew (not one of mine) clone... I chose the Arbiter as the one I liked best, but they all sounded much of a muchness. There was a feel difference between them - the way notes fell away and especially when you backed off but it wasn't chasms of difference. When I hear people blathering about the fuzz face circuit and that they are "experts" on it, I tend to have a little chuckle to myself - there are nine components and two pots... a bit of perspective, chaps...

I'm sure these are fab pedals - most Fuzzfaces are - but realistically, the differences between them are so slight they are not worth worrying about and certainly don't need 45 minutes of wigging out with comments like "wow" or "magic" (its not magic, its simple electronics). I think that video was just what is called "advertorial" in publishing circles - the cynical in me wonders what Analogman boxes went home in Mick and Dan's hand luggage as a result.

Yeah, I could hear a bit of difference between the Ge and Si, but in all honestly the the two Ge sounded pretty much the same to me as did the two Si. There were one or two brief moments were I thought I heard a difference between the Ge, but I'm pretty certain that was due to Dan/Mick's playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    impmann said:

Yeah, I could hear a bit of difference between the Ge and Si, but in all honestly the the two Ge sounded pretty much the same to me as did the two Si. There were one or two brief moments were I thought I heard a difference between the Ge, but I'm pretty certain that was due to Dan/Mick's playing.
    In other videos I searched I did find differences but as you say only slight. I spoke to Mike recently (via email) and he mentioned it's more a feel thang than a massive audio difference. Your audience won't know the difference but you will when you play for how you play etc. Bullshit marketing or can he be right? ;)
    antifash said:
    @Octafish Hehehe. Give us a chance. It hasn’t arrived yet.   :3 
    Ah cool  =) Be interested to hear your opinion and any comparisons to other fuzzes when you get it
    @Octafish Fo sho
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    45 minutes on four gold boxes - really? 

That said, I like how they sound and I will probably try and build one.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12702
    rico said:

You know, that’s exactly how I felt... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    impmann said:
    rico said:

You know, that’s exactly how I felt... 
    Fancy a challenge?
  • Having tried Ge and Si fuzzes, I think there is a very definite difference in feeling when playing - Ge fuzzes definitely feel and sound smoother and more rounded. Can’t comment on different subtypes of Ge transistors - but the Sunface tweak-ability with the internal trimpot and the Sundial bias pot has allowed me to dial in my cv7005 for my Les Paul and Marshall, after not managing the same with multiple other fuzzes. 
    I’ve really struggled with justifying £200 for a fuzz but getting one that actually works with my gear for a change feels like it justifies the price. 
    Quite like knowing it’s been assembled in a workshop rather than a massive factory and Analogman were very responsive and helpful during the ordering process. 
    edited December 2017
    Good to hear @mattdavis! Glad I never bought your pedal. ;)