Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best guitar for function band

What's Hot

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Add an SG, keep the strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1764

Get a USA Fender Sambora Strat.

PAF Pro in the rear, a Floyd, Active Mid Boost - snazzy star inlays.

You can find it for under £2k and in my opinion is the best all round guitar on the planet

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    For 2K you can pretty much get made what you want, mine was about that although that was about 8 years ago 

I have strat shape with 2 humbuckers and a middle single coil. Neck is coil tapped so I can get that middle and neck single coil sound and a full on SCOM neck humbucker sound. Mines active as in the summer a lot of cover band work is outside with poor electrics. Trem goes down but not up so I can carry on playing if I break a string .... for cover band work it's the most versatile guitar I've used 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I think (i) you're after versatility (ii) Joe Public doesn't care what guitar you play. I'd suggest a 335 as you can get lots of different sounds out of one, or an SG2000 as it has coil splits on both pickups + Gibson-style pickup selection. Or, an SA2200 as it also has the coil splits etc plus the hollow-ness (but don't expect it to sound like a 335 'cos it won't)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    Chinese Squier Double Fat Strat fitted with better pickups and coil splitting.

Because that's what I used when I was in a band like that and it was perfect! A very well-made guitar with a two-post bridge and good machineheads which stayed in tune nicely, in a nice shade of Candy Apple Red. I used it in preference to the PRS I had at the time because the split-coil sounds were more 'Fendery'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    You could make a pretty damn awesome custom/parts built strat for that £2k. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2017
    Yamaha SG2000or SG3000. Coil split switches, and superb quality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    The goldtop Krautster in the classifieds.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited December 2017
    Yamaha Pacifica 611vhm. 
    Humbucker bridge (with split). Thinnish neck. Wilkinson trem. Single coil neck (it's a P90, but sounds great). Flat board. Impeccable build & quality components throughout. 

They're not expensive or flash, but they're DAMN good guitars & cover LOTS of ground. 
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I had a Strat with a Dimarzio Chopper in the bridge. Don't want to get too heavy for the punters anyway....too much chug might scare them!

However I now have the perfect guitar for a function band, now I'm not in one!

Stormshadow DBS (Superstrat type thing, one piece mahogany body, pau ferro neck) with 2 humbuckers and a Schaller megaswitch P. You get PRS type switching, so lots of Stratty sounds, but full buckers when you need them.

Choice of pickups is critical though, some split better than others....don't go vintage.

I've got a Tonerider Rocksong in the bridge, with a Bulldog Aldrich-alike in the neck.

The Strat had nicer cleans, but the DBS has a better mix.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5853
    A Duesenberg Paloma might be worth getting your hands on for a play if you can. Anything from Doooozy is ensured to split the room into love or hate, so it really might not be for you but it ticks all the boxes you’ve listed. 

The bridge pickup is a nice crisp bucker and will go all the way to being downright rude if you raise it up a way. 

I have a Caribou here that’s a very similar set up but one creamy P90 at the neck instead of the two more strat style pickups. Whether this or a Paloma would better suit me occupies far too much of my thinking. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    You don't need amother guitar - just change the dark sounding hot rails for a full fat humbucker of your liking. A HSS strat can do anything and is about as versatile as you can ever get. Of course if you just WANT another guitar that's different......that's called GAS.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    How about this....

I have a USA Schecter PT and it’s every bit as good quality as my Suhr build wise, in fact the fretwork is the best I’ve seen on any guitar I’ve owned no lie.
    The necks are the same on all of them, they are slim, not Ibanez wizard but slightly slimmer than a Fender Modern C and with a pretty flat 14” board. Which is about the only reason I’ll be moving away from my Schecter, I prefer a chunkier neck these days. Awesome guitars though.
    http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/schecter-usa-custom-shop-traditional-hss-candy-apple-red.htm

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    martinw said:

Stormshadow DBS (Superstrat type thing, one piece mahogany body, pau ferro neck) with 2 humbuckers and a Schaller megaswitch P. You get PRS type switching, so lots of Stratty sounds, but full buckers when you need them.

Choice of pickups is critical though, some split better than others....don't go vintage.
    I had a Duncan Jazz neck and Distortion bridge in the Squier, which seemed to work well - although I didn't have the split Jazz alone, it was inner-coils and outer-coils in the 2 and 4 positions. I used a standard CRL Superswitch, I don't like the Schaller ones.

Brilliant guitar, I sometimes wish I'd never sold it, but when I left the band it wasn't really 'my thing'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Something subtle and versatile, maybe?

Perhaps reined in a bit?

Or maybe one for the Dads?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here’s my two pennies. 

My my main guitar is a Strat. Nothing amazing, just a USA std. I have bare knuckle mother’s milks in the neck and middle and a mule in the bridge with series parallel switching. I’m going to put a P90 in the neck and have the Yamaha dry switch fitted to roll off low end for the more chimey single coil tone. That’s a versatile guitar. It’s going to be essentially the guide guitar for a custom Pacifica I’m working on. 

the other guitar I use a lot is a Variax 69 hss. There are more and more gigs where I’m using this 85% of the time. If you want versatile, it kind of doesn’t get more versatile than that. Spend some time with the workbench software and it will be exactly how you want it. Something I wouldn’t rule out. 

All the the rest is done with tone control, volume control, fingers and East Coast IPA. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2199
    I found the right amp was just as important as the guitar, I gigged a two amp rig for a long time for that reason. 

For me, a PRS 513 and a Kemper is about as versatile as you can get. 

•  Get a JEM. Check out the function band Catch22 on you tube he uses a jem. I used to own one too. Awesome at every sound clean rock leads gorgeous.  But sadly my fingers arent 18 inches long like Steve vai's so eventually i got fed up and sold it.
  • If you can get your hands on an early Eggle Berlin Pro, you'll have yourself a well made guitar that can cover almost anything and way under budget
  • Gray guitars emperor